Team selection will be interesting

Curtains

12 minutes ago, Curtains said:

The booing was disgusting IMO 1.5 games in. 
I would have moved if I could. 

That's seems to be part of the problem.  If players can't be arsed and are in likelihood avoiding injury in anticipation of a move or aren't putting in a shift they'll get grief.  Happens everywhere.  

3 hours ago, Rampant said:

Wildsmith

Ward        Nelson          Cashin       Forsyth

Thompson        Bird

NML              Hourihane         Washington

Brown

(Vickers, Wilson, Rooney, Elder, Smith, Waghorn, Collins)

If there was ever a time not to start Brown it would be Saturday - you have fans on the verge of a complete breakdown and you put all that on the shoulders of a 18 year old in his first league start? Absolutely not. It's not fair. 

It's a genuinely a difficult one because I don't feel like Warne is going to change the system. I think I would perhaps go with Waghorn and Washington behind Collins for the game. Either that or put NML in that three and Elder. I'm not sure. Tough selection for Warne this week. 

Wildsmith; Nelson, Cashin, Forsyth; Ward, Hourihane, Thompson, Bird, NML; Waghorn, Washington & Collins. 

17 minutes ago, Curtains said:

The booing was disgusting IMO 1.5 games in. 
I would have moved if I could. 

I never support booing. Firstly it does nothing to improve the attitude or performance of the players - I’m sure they don’t need such a response to tell them when the team have underperformed, and secondly, it just sounds childish to me and should be reserved for pantomimes (cue some smart Alec to say it was like watching a pantomime).

Every time we’ve played 3 at the back we’ve been poor. We went 21 games unbeaten in a 4231. Why change it?! 

Vickers

Wilson      Nelson         Bradley       Elder

Rooney      Hourihane

Ward            Waggy               NML 

Collins

if he persists with 5 ATB then it’s going to turn toxic very quickly 

9 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

That's seems to be part of the problem.  If players can't be arsed and are in likelihood avoiding injury in anticipation of a move or aren't putting in a shift they'll get grief.  Happens everywhere.  

If Warne was talking about Max and Cash he’s wrong .Both put a shift in and did well 

Edited by Curtains

Hope he sticks with his three at the back, 180 minutes isn't enough evidence to give up on the last 5 weeks prep for IMO. Especially when, for periods on Saturday, we looked pretty good. 

Just read Cashin is a kick it/head it type of defender. Good lord. Probably one of the best on the ball for us last year. Anticipation is great, which is needed for his lack of pace. Even Nelson looked alright at the weekend. I swear some people just make s*** up to fit an argument. Some really dangerous opinions on here. 

30 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Wasn’t acceptable at all 1.5 games in. 

Without going over the top and wanting everyone sacked at this stage of the season, do you think that first half was acceptable, I don’t, Paul Warne doesn’t and I hope the players don’t.

7 minutes ago, Big Trav said:

Every time we’ve played 3 at the back we’ve been poor. We went 21 games unbeaten in a 4231. Why change it?! 

Vickers

Wilson      Nelson         Bradley       Elder

Rooney      Hourihane

Ward            Waggy               NML 

Collins

if he persists with 5 ATB then it’s going to turn toxic very quickly 

Sorry Big Trav but Wilson couldn’t tackle a Kit-Kat.

He goes AWOL more often than Nadine Dorries.

I like Rooney as a player and think he gets a raw deal. Always the one substituted even when others are poorer.

Just can’t see PW picking him. Hope I’m wrong because he has more talent than other ahem, more experienced players.

51 minutes ago, angieram said:

Fozzy dealt with it a lot better in the second half than Bradley did in the first because he reads the game well and re-distributes the ball quickly. We didn't really change formation, just put Thommo in as the runner in midfield and pulled Bird back alongside Smith. Everything looked better.

Makes you wonder what Hourihane was actually doing (apart from hiding on the wing) in the first half? Yet some on here seems to think it's Bird who's not pulling his weight! 

In a midfield that lacks production, I just don't think we can take the one player out who does have some semblance of production regardless of how his all-round play looks at times. 

If you go with Thompson, Bird and Smith - you've got three midfielders who have a combined 683 games at this level and higher, with 15 total goals and 42 assists. It means on average they would have to play almost 12 games before one of them had a goal involvement which is obviously massively unworkable. Hourihane has 383 appearances, 72 goals and 80 assists in comparison - so the output of those three collectively fall someway short of his output alone. Hourihane really is an absolute necessity in this side. I would prefer him to be in the 10 over Bird, truthfully. 

25 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Wildsmith 

Wilson Rooney Cash Forsyth 

Bird Thompson 

Ward      Waghorn.    NML 

Collins 

or 

Wildsmith 

Wilson Rooney Cash Forsyth 

Bird 

Thompson Smith 

Ward.   Washington.   NML 

Try and start building a team around Wildsmith, Wilson, Ward, Rooney, Cash, Bird, Thompson, Sibley (when fit), Robinson+Radcliffe+Bardell+Brown (when deemed ready). 

Supplement these decent young and ‘prime aged’ players with some experience and see how we get on. As mentioned before if I’m going to watch howlers every game I’d rather it be young lads learning the craft than experienced pros s******* their pants

Once everyone is fit and excluding possible signings:

Wildsmith 

Ward   Nelson   Cashin   Forsyth 

Bird   LThompson

NML   Sibley   Washington

Collins

Backups in each position therefore being:

Vickers

Wilson   Rooney   Bradley   Elder

Smith   Hourihane

Waghorn   ???   Barkhuizen

???

With a long term succession plan for academy players along the lines of:

JThompson/Evans

???   ???   Cox   Moloney

DRobinson   Hawkins

???   McAndrew   Davidson

DBrown

Over this season, Rooney to be integrated into the first 11 on a regular basis. Work with Wilson extensively on the defensive side of his game, with a view to him displacing Ward at some point over the next 2 seasons.

5 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

Without going over the top and wanting everyone sacked at this stage of the season, do you think that first half was acceptable, I don’t, Paul Warne doesn’t and I hope the players don’t.

It was poor but it’s early in season and players have to get to know each other.  Blackpool were a good side.  Warne knows he needs additions .

I thought 2nd half was better. 
After administration I wouldn’t expect booing. 

9 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Just read Cashin is a kick it/head it type of defender. Good lord. Probably one of the best on the ball for us last year. Anticipation is great, which is needed for his lack of pace. Even Nelson looked alright at the weekend. I swear some people just make s*** up to fit an argument. Some really dangerous opinions on here. 

It was me that said that.  It's probably a poor turn of phrase rather than anything.  What I mean is, he's a more of a Vidic than a Rio Ferdinand, more Bucko than Keogh.  You want him winning headers, making tackles, wrestling with strikers, plus he can comfortably pass out from the back well enough to play in a decent footballing team.  What you don't want is him getting into one-on-ones with pacy wingers, or making overlapping runs to cross the ball.

I said to the guys I sit with last night, that Nelson looks the worst of the 3 ability-wise, but probably the most suited to the job he's being asked to do.  I'm not convinced he's good enough on the ball (I think he stopped at least 3 promising attacks in the second half, by overhitting a fairly simple pass), but at least he's reasonably mobile.

17 minutes ago, Curtains said:

If Warne was talking about Max and Cash he’s wrong .Both put a shift in and did well 

I think that's a bit of a stretch mate, yes they showed more effort second half no denying that, but to say they performed well? Do you really believe that? 

Just now, Stockyram92 said:

Okay, id have to disagree

They did the basics better, nothing more, id say they were average at best, did you honestly walk away from the game thinking "bloody hell, bird and cashin were good tonight"? 

Certainly Bird.  Cashin 2nd half 

Second half last night was what I was expecting this season to look like (early on anyway) - reasonably solid at the back, lots of running around, plenty of half-chances, but never really looking like scoring one of them.  I wouldn't exactly say it was good, but it was certainly miles better than the first half.  

And FWIW, Bird and Cashin (plus Forsyth and Waghorn), all played well and were probably our best players.