Team selection will be interesting

Curtains

Firstly, I don't think Warne will scrap his preferred style of play after just one league game. Secondly, I think we will probably start with the same team as against Wigan (as long as everyone is fit). I'm less sure of my second point and it may depend on the improving fitness levels of certain players.

Regarding the style of play, as I've not spoken to most of the fans, I've no idea what the majority prefer. Personally, I love watching wing backs so by definition I prefer 3 at the back. We certainly didn't have the players to make it work last season and a back 4 was the better option but it's a new season and we have to give it a chance to work.

Play to the strengths of the players. 

Can we afford 3 centre backs with not much pace in the team? Either put Rooney in or drop one of them and go 4 at the back. 

Defenders still don’t have pace? Don’t ask them to play on the half way line with nobody screening them. 

Midfielders are all tidy ball players? Utilise this? Don’t expect them to change into dynamic box to box midfielders. 

Collins scores if he’s within the width of the box? Stop him from going any wider by playing wider forwards with him? 

Obviously I’m no manager and I might be talking rubbish but football isn’t a complicated game and I can’t see anything controversial with what I’ve said. Identify the strengths of your players, use a system that focuses on the strengths. Identify the weaknesses, use a system that helps support in these areas. 

On 09/08/2023 at 20:17, S8TY said:

Bird is never a 10 or CAM so why play him there, I would play him and Hourihane in a 4231 as below

Vickers

Rooney / Smith        Nelson             Cashin                 Fozzy

Bird               Hourihane

NML                           Waggy                 Washington

Collins 

All 3 behind Collins are capable of swapping and joining in the attack to support Collins 

Why would you not pick WARD ???

1 hour ago, IlsonDerby said:

Can we afford 3 centre backs with not much pace in the team? Either put Rooney in or drop one of them and go 4 at the back. 

I'd like to see Rooney given more of a go if we are going to play three at the back, particularly if we are expecting the centre backs to push up and play. I've been impressed by him when I've seen him and feel he is both ready for more games, and has plenty of scope to develop if given playing time.

He also seems to have the "right character"...

On 11/08/2023 at 09:33, SKRam said:

Prompted me to have a peep at some of his best quotes…

’Players lose you games not tactics, there’s so much crap talked about tactics by people who barely know how to win at dominoes’ 

……. I’ll leave that one with everyone 

All that tells me is that Brian Clough could on occasion talk just as much s*** as anyone else 😄

It would be an interesting experiment though. Don't bother appointing a manager to come up with 'tactics' or any of that crap, just assemble a bunch of players every Saturday/Tuesday and say "have at it, lads".

Probably one for Dale Vince to try at FGR!

(The may already have tried it if their performances last season were anything to go by)