Team selection will be interesting

Curtains

55 minutes ago, SouthDerbysRam said:

I don't think the defence is as bad as folks are making it out to be. I think our problem is defending from the front. Multiple times yesterday, Blackpool walked into our half uncontested. Swapping out the Centre backs is not going to fix our problems.

It's a bit of both tbh.  You're right that we aren't stopping runners through midfield, but we also have defenders that can't deal with that direct running at them either.  If we had mobile, ball-playing centre halves, we'd be much happier dealing with that type of thing.  But we have big, strong, slow "kick-it and head-it" types.

It's a perfect storm of us basically engineering the types of situations that we're worst at defending, and that's why we're making so many mistakes.

37 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

It's a bit of both tbh.  You're right that we aren't stopping runners through midfield, but we also have defenders that can't deal with that direct running at them either.  If we had mobile, ball-playing centre halves, we'd be much happier dealing with that type of thing.  But we have big, strong, slow "kick-it and head-it" types.

It's a perfect storm of us basically engineering the types of situations that we're worst at defending, and that's why we're making so many mistakes.

Fozzy dealt with it a lot better in the second half than Bradley did in the first because he reads the game well and re-distributes the ball quickly. We didn't really change formation, just put Thommo in as the runner in midfield and pulled Bird back alongside Smith. Everything looked better.

Makes you wonder what Hourihane was actually doing (apart from hiding on the wing) in the first half? Yet some on here seems to think it's Bird who's not pulling his weight! 

2 hours ago, Curtains said:

Well Warne can have no idea on his best team at the minute.

Its too early though to judge as players still being integrated 

Lots of work needed on the training ground and at least 2 more additions ie Striker and box to box midfielder.

I think Warne will be ok and get it right .

Not going in East Stand again as booing not acceptable and toxic atmosphere uncomfortable 😣 

West and North stands were closed last night so it could just as easily have been fans that normally sit there, and I’m quite sure they would have been booing in the South stand, I don’t think you can tie it down to one specific stand.

I normally would not condone booing but if ever it was justified then that first half stands out as the worst display I have witnessed in a number of years.The second half was better and the crowd got behind them, but it was too little too late.

Maybe 3-4-3 as unfortunately we do have wing backs who arnt best suited to a back 4 and have worked on three at the back all pre season, so might be slightly early to bin it off after 1 league game. 

Wildsmith 

Rooney Bradley Forsyth

Ward Thompson Bird Elder

NML Collins Washington 

I think Bradley could benefit having a bit more calmness and pace either side of him. Forsyth and Rooney are better on the ball and I think would be more level headed than what we’ve seen from Nelson and Cashin in the previous 2 games.

Thompson has been good both times he’s came on and gets round the pitch well, also think bird being deeper will benefit us as a whole. 

Mendez Laing is also a lot more effective as a winger which I think everyone can see is obvious. 

1 minute ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Maybe 3-4-3 as unfortunately we do have wing backs who arnt best suited to a back 4 and have worked on three at the back all pre season, so might be slightly early to bin it off after 1 league game. 

Wildsmith 

Rooney Bradley Forsyth

Ward Thompson Bird Elder

NML Collins Washington 

I think Bradley could benefit having a bit more calmness and pace either side of him. Forsyth and Rooney are better on the ball and I think would be more level headed than what we’ve seen from Nelson and Cashin in the previous 2 games.

Thompson has been good both times he’s came on and gets round the pitch well, also think bird being deeper will benefit us as a whole. 

Mendez Laing is also a lot more effective as a winger which I think everyone can see is obvious. 

So we sacrifice Cash and Nelson because Bradley isn't doing his job? Why not just put Fozzy in the middle and leave the others be? It worked fine last night.

I agree with the other changes.

46 minutes ago, Ram a lamb a ding dong said:

I sense 4-3-3 to steady the ship:

Wildsmith

Nelson/ Cashin/ Bradley/ Forsyth

Bird/ Smith/ Hourihane

Ward/ Washington/ Waggy

Lack of pace all over the place but it is what it is.

I was about to post similar on the Burton match thread, although I had Tommo in for Hourihane (I doubt PW will though).

1 minute ago, angieram said:

So we sacrifice Cash and Nelson because Bradley isn't doing his job? Why not just put Fozzy in the middle and leave the others be? It worked fine last night.

I agree with the other changes.

I’d put Rooney in over Nelson regardless atm think he’d bring more balance to us aswell as being a lot better on the ball. I think Cashin hasn’t been great either and would prefer Forsyth in that left centre back role to fill in at left back when Elder pushes up high. I do think Bradley will come good aswell along with us as a team. A win on Saturday to get us onto two home games is what we need to settle everyone. 

3 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Will he double down on his 3 at the back, and will he play these players who are 'distracted' by other clubs. I'd like to know what is going on in his head this morning. He is probably thinking what hat should I wear to lift the mood.

It’s wrong, it’s disrespectful, but it did make me chuckle.

Would play Bradley Johnson with Bird and Thompson as a midfield since I think that is the closest to a good balance we might get. Hourihane and Smith need a time out based on yesterdays "performance". 

Back four with Ward, Nelson, Cashin and Forsyth. Let Fozzy compensate being more defensive and push Ward further up when attacking.

NML to run and make space for Ward to deliver crosses. Any of Brown/Collins/Washington/Waghorn will do for the other two positions since neither staked any claim yet. Brown and Waggy might edge it based on seeming a bit more eager to play. 

That should give Burton a good fight at least.

1 hour ago, Ram a lamb a ding dong said:

I sense 4-3-3 to steady the ship:

Wildsmith

Nelson/ Cashin/ Bradley/ Forsyth

Bird/ Smith/ Hourihane

Ward/ Washington/ Waggy

Lack of pace all over the place but it is what it is.

Jesus Chris I think I’d walk out and go and play on the A52 if I saw this team sheet. Thank god you’re not charge 😂😂

18 minutes ago, angieram said:

Fozzy dealt with it a lot better in the second half than Bradley did in the first because he reads the game well and re-distributes the ball quickly. We didn't really change formation, just put Thommo in as the runner in midfield and pulled Bird back alongside Smith. Everything looked better.

Makes you wonder what Hourihane was actually doing (apart from hiding on the wing) in the first half? Yet some on here seems to think it's Bird who's not pulling his weight! 

Fozzy is a basically converted fullback, so he's used to dealing with direct runners at him.  Dealing with quick, tricky wingers is basically his day-job.

And I don't think Hourihane himself was the actual problem, it's more that the 3 in midfield were all too similar, too static.  We looked a lot more balanced with that second half lineup.  We kept the ball a lot better too, which helps relieve pressure on the defence too.

The big question is... does Warne actually understand why all that stuff happened, or does he think we just worked harder, or wanted it more, second half?  If he thinks the second, then we're just doomed to repeat the first half again.

25 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

West and North stands were closed last night so it could just as easily have been fans that normally sit there, and I’m quite sure they would have been booing in the South stand, I don’t think you can tie it down to one specific stand.

I normally would not condone booing but if ever it was justified then that first half stands out as the worst display I have witnessed in a number of years.The second half was better and the crowd got behind them, but it was too little too late.

Wasn’t acceptable at all 1.5 games in. 

Wildsmith 

Wilson Rooney Cash Forsyth 

Bird Thompson 

Ward      Waghorn.    NML 

Collins 

or 

Wildsmith 

Wilson Rooney Cash Forsyth 

Bird 

Thompson Smith 

Ward.   Washington.   NML 

Try and start building a team around Wildsmith, Wilson, Ward, Rooney, Cash, Bird, Thompson, Sibley (when fit), Robinson+Radcliffe+Bardell+Brown (when deemed ready). 

Supplement these decent young and ‘prime aged’ players with some experience and see how we get on. As mentioned before if I’m going to watch howlers every game I’d rather it be young lads learning the craft than experienced pros s******* their pants

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

Probably East Middle day trippers. 

That's where I normally sit (wasn't there last night) and whilst you'll always get the odd individual, I've not noticed a lot of booing or a particularly toxic atmosphere even during the real lows of the last few seasons. 

The booing was disgusting IMO 1.5 games in. 
I would have moved if I could. 

I don’t think there’s an obvious four man defence with current personnel so I’d go:

Wildsmith

Ward/Nelson/ Cashin/ Forsyth/Elder

Bird/ Hourihane

NML/ Washington/ Collins 

I think Hourihane is overrated and it’s tough on Smith but we have to put more pressure on the opposition.

Bradley has had two poor starts and needs a break to gather himself.

Elder deserves another chance to show why he is so well respected.