Thought Provoking YouTube Videos. NO POLITICS

sage

On 06/09/2023 at 17:55, Carl Sagan said:

This appeared in my twitter feed today. As someone terrified of heights, it was a difficult but fascinating watch. Amazing. £7k to climb that chimney every day and demolish it, one brick at a time!!

On 06/09/2023 at 19:06, ramit said:

I suppose figuring all the ways that job could go wrong could be considered thought provoking, though for me it's more like terror inducing.  At the 2.33 mark i had seen enough already.

Yeah lol, I'm not scared of much tbh but I hate heights and ladders with a passion.  I fell off the second rung of a step ladder changing a bulb a few years ago and banged my head - thats the last time I've ever been up one and not planning on going up another 😛

As I alluded to in my post, as well as the sheer fearlessness of Fred, it was the health and safety angle that was thought provoking - he'd have probably broken about 1000 regulations if he'd done that today! 

I won't post of one of him at 50+ years old climbing a 300ft tower with a back pack attached by a rope slung over his shoulder swinging from side to side as he climbs.  Only to come within 50ft of the top and announce that there is a 5ft overhang above.  The ladders get further and further away from the wall as he continues climbing at an unnatural angle.  Bonkers.

On 08/09/2023 at 15:49, maxjam said:

Yeah lol, I'm not scared of much tbh but I hate heights and ladders with a passion.  I fell off the second rung of a step ladder changing a bulb a few years ago and banged my head - thats the last time I've ever been up one and not planning on going up another 😛

As I alluded to in my post, as well as the sheer fearlessness of Fred, it was the health and safety angle that was thought provoking - he'd have probably broken about 1000 regulations if he'd done that today! 

I won't post of one of him at 50+ years old climbing a 300ft tower with a back pack attached by a rope slung over his shoulder swinging from side to side as he climbs.  Only to come within 50ft of the top and announce that there is a 5ft overhang above.  The ladders get further and further away from the wall as he continues climbing at an unnatural angle.  Bonkers.

Full videos on youtube. How anyone did this job is beyond me. Absolutely insane!

Iceland has a rich and unique history of witchcraft, mixing the old with the new through the centuries.  This is a brand new upload, a rather nice job with plenty of appropriate dark illustrations.  Witchcraft can still be found here, but few take it any more seriously than their supposed Christianity.  i have, for instance had a few sessions with a quite potent witch, which i found very helpful in my pursuit of self knowledge and peace of mind in a practical sense and i don't really care what the church may or may not think of that.  It is simply a tool.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I did enjoy! And was somewhat surprised when one of my authors made a cameo appearance. Cheers!

Yeah I forgot to thank @ramit, he posted another Why Files video a while back.  I enjoyed that and ended up watching most of the videos on the channel.  The guy does a good job of describing a mystery (and who doesn't enjoy a good mystery!) Then ends with a bunch of facts or opposing views to bring balance or debunk the claims.  Its one of the better channels of its ilk on youtube.

On 25/11/2023 at 09:25, richinspain said:

One for @i-Ram and @Angry Ram

This was hilarious! I understand, for most people, this is likely one of the dullest videos you could watch. However, I love my fish and chips. Really love them. And this chippy is about 100m, maybe less, from my old office, so was my local! When taking people out to lunch I'd often go there - sometimes just eat there on my own. And, when I meet up with former colleagues, this is where we go! Fabulous... Thanks, @richinspain

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
1 hour ago, ramit said:

Enjoy

Wonderful.

I've got my own ecosystem going at the moment in solid form.

Last October, at the end of the chili growing season, I took 3 established first-year plants (2 x Scotch Bonnet and 1 x Armageddon) and pruned them savagely (think main stem up to where it divides into 2 branches, then each of those to where they divided, and chopped everything else out - so basically all that was left was 4 sticks attached to a main stem). I then reduced the size of the root balls and re-potted into smaller pots using fresh peat-free compost. I brought the plants indoors and stuck them in a South-facing window.

The idea was to give them a 'rest' over winter, and for them to have a head start when April arrives and I move them outside (it's only the second time I've tried over-wintering - most people think that chili plants are annuals but they're not - they are just very susceptible to frost). The plants were watered very sparingly once a fortnight, and I expected little or no growth for the next 4 months.

Things did not go to plan.

By Christmas, I had green shoots appearing, not just at the nodes of the branches, but even new shoots growing from the main stems.

By January, a few flowers were beginning to appear, so I pulled them off the plants - but obviously I missed a few.

By February, I had a few chilis beginning to show, so I stepped up the watering regime and added a capful of tomato feed to the water. Then I started to notice tiny flies taking to the air each time I watered. A quick check under the microscope and t'interwebs revealed Bradysia - sciarid flies or fungus gnats, which infest decomposing plant matter (basically potting compost).

War was declared.

At the start of this month, I ordered a pack of sciarid fly nematodes - basically tiny worms which feed on the maggots of the sciarid flies. In the meantime, I stuck a 20 cm square of bright yellow fly paper to the window by the chili plants (fungus gnats are attracted to yellow). Within hours, there were dozens of sciarid flies stuck to the paper. By the time the nematodes had arrived a couple of days later, there were hundreds - perhaps thousands. We treated all the house plants - not just my chilis.

A week after treatment, I was on top of the problem - still seeing the odd fly but nothing like previously.

Last week, I administered a second round of treatment and changed fly paper.

Today, no more flies. I've also harvested two Scotch Bonnet chilis which are destined for my next curry.

16 hours ago, Eddie said:

Wonderful.

I've got my own ecosystem going at the moment in solid form.

Last October, at the end of the chili growing season, I took 3 established first-year plants (2 x Scotch Bonnet and 1 x Armageddon) and pruned them savagely (think main stem up to where it divides into 2 branches, then each of those to where they divided, and chopped everything else out - so basically all that was left was 4 sticks attached to a main stem). I then reduced the size of the root balls and re-potted into smaller pots using fresh peat-free compost. I brought the plants indoors and stuck them in a South-facing window.

The idea was to give them a 'rest' over winter, and for them to have a head start when April arrives and I move them outside (it's only the second time I've tried over-wintering - most people think that chili plants are annuals but they're not - they are just very susceptible to frost). The plants were watered very sparingly once a fortnight, and I expected little or no growth for the next 4 months.

Things did not go to plan.

By Christmas, I had green shoots appearing, not just at the nodes of the branches, but even new shoots growing from the main stems.

By January, a few flowers were beginning to appear, so I pulled them off the plants - but obviously I missed a few.

By February, I had a few chilis beginning to show, so I stepped up the watering regime and added a capful of tomato feed to the water. Then I started to notice tiny flies taking to the air each time I watered. A quick check under the microscope and t'interwebs revealed Bradysia - sciarid flies or fungus gnats, which infest decomposing plant matter (basically potting compost).

War was declared.

At the start of this month, I ordered a pack of sciarid fly nematodes - basically tiny worms which feed on the maggots of the sciarid flies. In the meantime, I stuck a 20 cm square of bright yellow fly paper to the window by the chili plants (fungus gnats are attracted to yellow). Within hours, there were dozens of sciarid flies stuck to the paper. By the time the nematodes had arrived a couple of days later, there were hundreds - perhaps thousands. We treated all the house plants - not just my chilis.

A week after treatment, I was on top of the problem - still seeing the odd fly but nothing like previously.

Last week, I administered a second round of treatment and changed fly paper.

Today, no more flies. I've also harvested two Scotch Bonnet chilis which are destined for my next curry.

What a great story, nice idea with the nematodes. 

I learned about gnats and yellow the hard way. 

Our previous residence was in a tall block of flats that was painted bright yellow the first few years.  In springtime it literally turned black with millions of tiny gnats.  The news channels and papers covered this remarkable "amusing" occurrence, but a sour faced entomologists appeared, warning of the possible devastation of the gnat population, that by unwisely choosing yellow we had meddled with natural forces beyond our comprehension, but that in layman's terms it meant the gnats not behaving as nature intended, thereby affecting birds and insects that fed on them and so on. 

We were ordered by the natural science department of the state to repaint the block in a less offensive colour immediately and again we were harshly scolded, predicting we had probably already caused near irreparable natural damage.  We became the local objects of laughter, snickering and scorn, receiving sideways glances wherever we ventured and all because of yellow.

Edited by ramit
Wording