Thought Provoking YouTube Videos. NO POLITICS

sage

I've watched dozens and dozens of similarly themed videos... albeit mostly cycle related in all honesty... and almost 100% Dutch!

On that subject, I think it's fair to say they "struck it lucky" with the timing (early 70's) with regards to the RTA's & related fatalities going up, (and of course, the related nationwide mass demo's to "Keep our kids alive" etc.)  Vehicle numbers were relatively low compared to today.  They had the space to work with (and presumably the budgets).  They pretty much ripped up what few major roads they had, and started again!
... But what a fantastic job they did, and to this day... on this particular subject at least... The Dutch are pretty much the envy of the world... and rightly so!

Pretty much every city and major town puts pedestrians and cyclists first.  I'm a big fan of the concept!

Here in GB, whilst there is the occasional hint that we are trying, it's clear we don't have the space or the money.  It's just no longer practical/achievable, due to the number of cars (per capita and/or per square mile), and quite simply, we've left it far too late!  We'll never ever emulate what The Dutch have achieved with regards to road layouts/city infrastructure etc. 

I am of course referring to the pedestrian/cycling infrastructure, as opposed to design in general.  Aesthetically speaking, it's never too late!

As an aside...
"They do say" that had we not have pretty much demolished the place back in the '60's and '70's, Derby City Centre would now be what York is today!
#missed opportunity

I really love this lecture from Scott Burdick. It's a refutation of the aesthetic and intellectual value of modern art. Burdick also shares some interesting theories as to why modernism is so all pervasive with critics and galleries. It also has some shameless self promotion of his own work, but since I'm very much a fan I see that as a bonus.

29 minutes ago, Anon said:

I really love this lecture from Scott Burdick. It's a refutation of the aesthetic and intellectual value of modern art. Burdick also shares some interesting theories as to why modernism is so all pervasive with critics and galleries. It also has some shameless self promotion of his own work, but since I'm very much a fan I see that as a bonus.

I'm enjoying the amount of Romanticism. Dismissing Picasso as 'modern nonsense' is a little silly and his sense of beauty in art is narrow.

I do agree that current trends in art allow poor examples to be celebrated just because they are 'modern'. However, maybe 150 years ago, people in coffee houses were having the same conversations about impressionism. 

I guess he sees beauty as timeless and not fashionable.  Replace 'art' with 'music' and the contrast is even larger.

Edited by sage

I appreciate that beauty is entirely subjective, but it's more how he highlights the deliberate exclusion of more traditional realist art from galleries and exhibitions that captures me. The comparison with music is an interesting one. I did find myself thinking about my love of punk music as he derided Franz Kline's pride in his "roughness of execution and poverty of materials". Not every music venue insists on only booking punk and avant-garde bands and artists to "educate the public" though. There is a wonderful variety of live music readily available and I just don't see the same variety of choice in art galleries and exhibitions.

37 minutes ago, Anon said:

I appreciate that beauty is entirely subjective, but it's more how he highlights the deliberate exclusion of more traditional realist art from galleries and exhibitions that captures me. The comparison with music is an interesting one. I did find myself thinking about my love of punk music as he derided Franz Kline's pride in his "roughness of execution and poverty of materials". Not every music venue insists on only booking punk and avant-garde bands and artists to "educate the public" though. There is a wonderful variety of live music readily available and I just don't see the same variety of choice in art galleries and exhibitions.

It was my love of punk that made me think. I think exhibitions are often narrow focussed but most galleries I go to haven't banished beauty.   

4 hours ago, Anon said:

Is this also a clever metaphor for the potential sale of Max Bird? The end of finesse and grace in the pursuit of high speed Warneball?

1 hour ago, sage said:

Is this also a clever metaphor for the potential sale of Max Bird? The end of finesse and grace in the pursuit of high speed Warneball?

Not quite, I think a modernist version of football would need to be far more subversive. No ball, no players, concrete instead of grass, some dog dirt in the centre circle, and a 3000 word abstract to explain the profound deconstruction of the game. Warneball at least tries to paint a picture, it's just a fairly utilitarian picture.

image.png.c3cf707912a33ac875d9594426b79807.png

12 minutes ago, Anon said:

Not quite, I think a modernist version of football would need to be far more subversive. No ball, no players, concrete instead of grass, some dog dirt in the centre circle, and a 3000 word abstract to explain the profound deconstruction of the game. Warneball at least tries to paint a picture, it's just a fairly utilitarian picture.

image.png.c3cf707912a33ac875d9594426b79807.png

I see @i-Ram in the blue waistcoat

Thought provoking in as much as their disgust at being expected to NOT drive after 3 pints is a good example of how people always try and resist change.

60 years later and we now take it for granted that you just don't drink and drive. These people now sound like complete laughable eejits!