Never go back?

dog

11 minutes ago, oldtimeram said:

Ok I may be being a bit harsh saying he was awful, but I remember too many blunders by him.

Which were down to him being injured, which also then knocked his confidence. And is the reason we went for Carson the following season.

28 minutes ago, europia said:

Thought we might be a bit more ambitious than bringing Waghorn back to the club. He never really fulfilled his potential in his first spell, after we paid quite a significant transfer fee.  

We spent about 8 years trying to sign this bloke starting under Clough.  Now he's never away from the place. 😃

FWIW I think the ‘never go back’ argument is a bit naff, with respect to the thread and original point it was making. Even if you look at our recent history our most successful moves for players over 30 is more about ‘do they have a point to prove?’

Kazim-Richards is the most glaring example, many didn’t even like he was training with us, but he saw he had an opportunity at Derby and took it with both hands. Maybe it’s worth looking at players that had seasons in the wild wilderness for a season or two. People would say Martin was passed it but came to be an important part of Cocu’s set up in his last season, Davies another who looked to be playing a bit part at most for the rest of his career and was something of a forgetten man after injuries, but ended up playing the whole season for Rooney and a class act. 

Point is, how much does it matter that they’ve been somewhere before? Surely it’s more important that a player has a motivation to play for your club and is willing to take the opportunity given, be it to prove a point to the fans, themselves, manager, whatever. Waghorn has a point to prove at Derby to me, had a good first season under Lampard and really lost his way under Cocu and didn’t find it under Rooney. After a couple of years with his career petering out. he’s got an opportunity to make something out of his last leg at the club closest to where he’s settled in the area and didn’t get the send off he’d have hoped for. If he was coming to continue the role he had at Coventry and Huddersfield then I’d say no, but if he thinks he can get into the side and push everyone around him then I’m all for it.