Twitter Rebrand to 𝕏

Day

29 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

people are now financially incentivized to piss people off, etc

Objectively this is actually quite an evil genius move from Musk.

We all know that we're living in an online world where all platforms are basing their business model on "user engagement" - which means they are actively pushing ways to make us argue amongst ourselves, as this drives their revenue

Musk offering up the revenue share scheme where blue tick users receive a (relatively small) share of that pie if they get loads of engagement is actually quite clever, as it drives the model even harder. But also very risky as the danger is it will drive the platform into the ground, and all that will be left is a load of blue ticks left with no one else to troll

But that's Musk's MO - make crazy risky decisions that just might work, or might just explode shortly after take off. Dust yourself off and try again

1 hour ago, GboroRam said:

I will balance that - twitter spent an unsustainable amount of money to do that. Twitter was losing money. 

As long as they have stopped losing money then it's an understandable commercial decision. 

Fair, but I think that argument loses its credibility when you consider how much he's done to drive advertisers away.

I'm on Xr every day and it's really seriously deteriorated. Of the main platforms, it's easily the worst IMHO, and I now only use it to follow a handful of people, mostly comedians and people who talk about Derby.

Any halfway decent post there gets spammed to death with clickbait videos that have nothing to do with the OP, just people desperate for clicks.

I used to love Twitter, but now it's the playground for anybody with an extreme opinion who wants to spew their bile.

There seems to be 2 different aspects to this never ending debate.

One of them is "Has Twitter is becoming a hopeless platform to use since Musk has took over?"

The other one is "Is Musk a champion of free speech or a vile moron actively encouraging and amplifying conspiracy theories and extreme points of view."

I think @David has made a few posts on the first point, whilst deliberatley calling out it's nothing to do with the second.

Is there anyone who does believe Musk is a legend for his free speech crusade, but also thinks he has turned Twitter into a bit of mess?

Conversely, does anyone depise Musk but think his new and improved Twitter is amazing from a functional perspective?

1 minute ago, ariotofmyown said:

One of them is "Has Twitter is becoming a hopeless platform to use since Musk has took over?"

The other one is "Is Musk a champion of free speech or a vile moron actively encouraging and amplifying conspiracy theories and extreme points of view."

I think @David has made a few posts on the first point, whilst deliberatley calling out it's nothing to do with the second.

Is there anyone who does believe Musk is a legend for his free speech crusade, but also thinks he has turned Twitter into a bit of mess?

Conversely, does anyone depise Musk but think his new and improved Twitter is amazing from a functional perspective?

You have 

a) People like myself that are simply annoyed by Twitter changes (excluding free speech)

b) Musk fans, that will argue he can do no wrong.

And last but not least

c) Left v Right. Left being accused of trying to rid the internet of any opposing views, hailing Musk as a hero. Right being accused of vile behaviour that has no place in society.

Search out the old politics threads, it’s the same opposition. Exactly the same.

It’s impossible to have any discussion within this board now with the same old battle lines being drawn.

We‘re up to 23 pages on a business rebrand topic, yet 90% isn’t about X, it’s Elon, Tesla, Crypto and the free speech argument.

12 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

You are spot on , 

1, is it better or worse for old users before he took over ? Don’t know , it would appear not at this point 

2, is he the free speech champion/ hero ? In my view ,,,,, meet the new boss , same as the old boss ,,, same wonky ,different slant 🤷🏻‍♂️

50 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Anyone fancy posting something vaguely on topic?

Reminder, the topic is "Twitter Rebrand to X". 

Might be worth going back and removing the post calling musk space Karen along with the posts asking for explanation that off topic post ?

Edited by Archied

19 hours ago, Archied said:

Might be worth going back and removing the post calling musk space Karen along with the posts asking for explanation that off topic post ?

It would have been really helpful if you'd reported that post instead of relying on someone reading your post. 

I will not tidy the thread up again, I'll just lock it. 

On 29/02/2024 at 18:10, GboroRam said:

Anyone fancy posting something vaguely on topic?

Reminder, the topic is "Twitter Rebrand to X". 

On 28/02/2024 at 22:33, Eddie said:

Interesting article that suggests that Xitter is little more than a bot farm now...

ABC article

ah-smug-mode.jpg.3e020b5812eff0c1887f1ac23f5da4a0.jpg

What's that? You want me to get rid of the spambots?

Nah - how about I remove the like and retweet counts from your feed instead?

Another weird change that no one asked for, and on the face of it will surely lower user engagement rather than the intention of raising it

https://uk.pcmag.com/social-media/151344/elon-musk-twitter-will-remove-retweet-and-like-counts-from-feeds

1 hour ago, Stive Pesley said:

Another weird change that no one asked for, and on the face of it will surely lower user engagement rather than the intention of raising it

https://uk.pcmag.com/social-media/151344/elon-musk-twitter-will-remove-retweet-and-like-counts-from-feeds

May break the affirmation addiction that’s infested society 🤷🏻‍♂️

1 hour ago, Stive Pesley said:

I think at this point we can safely assume that Elon has just bought this as the world's most expensive toy. Setting aside the likes of you and I, he really could not do more to alienate his advertisers.Retweets and engagement is the whole feckin deal for them. Without it, what's the point and how does he not get this? The blue tick brigade should expect a price hike shortly, as Musk forces them to cover his bad bets.

Ref the bots, I deactivated my account a while back, but had a relapse and opened a fresh profile just over a month back. I've only posted twice, as it was only really to allow me to catch up on footy gossip. Lo and behold, I now have 41 followers! They are all fitties inviting me to 'interact' which would be interesting if I were A) not in a relationship and B) vain enough to assume even one of them is an actual human being. Nice pics though 😂

8 minutes ago, Archied said:

May break the affirmation addiction that’s infested society 🤷🏻‍♂️

On that matter I agree it would be no bad thing, but when you have bought a business which solely relies on that addiction, it certainly seems a counter-intuitive move to try and make it *less* engaging! 

38 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

On that matter I agree it would be no bad thing, but when you have bought a business which solely relies on that addiction, it certainly seems a counter-intuitive move to try and make it *less* engaging! 

There’s no doubt his actions since taking over Twitter look like fanancial suicide, it’s quite staggering when you look at the figures paid for it and being able to not give a duck if you run it into the ground , I must say he’s someone who’s quite difficult to get a grip on what he’s actually about , could be just mad rich and drunk on it 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by Archied

33 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

The constant pushing of his tweets is very annoying.

IMG_8785.thumb.jpeg.7ee5dd68aed9163a0d0f064fc714ae2b.jpeg

You do realize you can go into Twitter settings, search "interests" and untick anything you don't want to see?