Can lang play as a striker

B4ev6is

38 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

Well guys I see more of a reason way lang can play upfront but also martin waghorn coming back to derby maybe he looked fit and ready to go I think we need another striker as well but now cant wait for next saturday. Laim Thompson look carm on the ball and Robinson looks good too.

Shinnie, Martin, now Waghorn, apart from Blackman is there any players you wouldn't have back at the club? 😂

54 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

Well guys I see more of a reason way lang can play upfront but also martin waghorn coming back to derby maybe he looked fit and ready to go I think we need another striker as well but now cant wait for next saturday. Laim Thompson look carm on the ball and Robinson looks good too.

Agree B4…..think K.D. Could do a job for us 😬

No, basically. Said it before, it’s a complete waste of his main attributes. You want Mendez-Laing using his pace and power to drive into space out wide, not stuck trying to link play up front. He doesn’t have the close control and awareness to do that role successfully. 

Mendez-Laing is a winger, pure and simple. So I’m really not sure where he fits into our 3-5-2 system sadly. Irrespective, we need to sign another striker, because Collins and Washington as our only options doesn’t inspire confidence.

7 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

No, basically. Said it before, it’s a complete waste of his main attributes. You want Mendez-Laing using his pace and power to drive into space out wide, not stuck trying to link play up front. He doesn’t have the close control and awareness to do that role successfully. 

Mendez-Laing is a winger, pure and simple. So I’m really not sure where he fits into our 3-5-2 system sadly. Irrespective, we need to sign another striker, because Collins and Washington as our only options doesn’t inspire confidence.

Not all strikers link up play though? I take your point that you want him using his pace and power, he can do so in a central striking role too by driving at the defence or offering an option in behind when playing on the shoulder of the last man.
It’s not his natural position but he can definitely do a job there. NML is a great option for the squad in a couple of different positions and means we have some tactical flexibility, whether Warne uses that is a different question. 

He finished last season playing as one of the 2 behind the central striker in a 3-4-2-1, he covered at rwb when called upon, he can play as a wide forward in a 3-4-3, he can play as a winger in a 4-2-3-1, he can play as a winger in a 4-4-2 and he could do a job as a striker when asked to in a 3-5-2. Not his natural position but his pace and power would frighten some defenders, it would stretch the defence, give us an option “over the top”, plus he can finish as evidenced yesterday;

Should he be our main choice as a striker? No. Can he play there? In my opinion, yes.

21 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Not all strikers link up play though? I take your point that you want him using his pace and power, he can do so in a central striking role too by driving at the defence or offering an option in behind when playing on the shoulder of the last man.
It’s not his natural position but he can definitely do a job there. NML is a great option for the squad in a couple of different positions and means we have some tactical flexibility, whether Warne uses that is a different question. 

He finished last season playing as one of the 2 behind the central striker in a 3-4-2-1, he covered at rwb when called upon, he can play as a wide forward in a 3-4-3, he can play as a winger in a 4-2-3-1, he can play as a winger in a 4-4-2 and he could do a job as a striker when asked to in a 3-5-2. Not his natural position but his pace and power would frighten some defenders, it would stretch the defence, give us an option “over the top”, plus he can finish as evidenced yesterday;

Should he be our main choice as a striker? No. Can he play there? In my opinion, yes.

I think playing as a wide/inside foward is NML best position.

2 minutes ago, Ram1988 said:

I think playing as a wide/inside foward is NML best position.

Absolutely, but in answer to the question “can lang play as a striker”, I would say yes he can. You can add a caveat to that and say “not for a full season/he’s more likely to perform out wide/his attributes better suit a wide role” and all of that is also true. 

He played noticeably narrower yesterday and looked useful and he scored. But wingers should score, and he did !

in a regimented fantasy football world you’d hope lively wingers could 8-10 goals a season each season 

I’d yes with caution because he is better out wide stretching a defence to make room for strikers to do their bit. 

someone said he didn’t have the touch, I disagree. One of the best bits about NML is his willingness to play neat wall pass / give and goes. He’s also pretty good at bullying intercepts. The only thing that puzzles me is shooting. Sometimes sweet, precise and curling and others that seem easier become barn door and banjo