Is our budget any bigger than last year?

sage

On 27/07/2023 at 13:35, Jayram said:

Well our owner will need to understand that if that is his philosophy going forward, however laudable, it will probably lead to a certain level of pitch mediocrity, fans becoming disillusioned and a subsequent fall in attendances, revenue and interest. Sadly there doesn't appear to be such a thing in modern football (especially at this level) as a self sufficient club or at least a successful one. We will need occasionally to push the boat out to sign the kind of players that will get us out of the division otherwise we will end up being stuck here for years. 

"Our owner will need to understand..........".

Really?

4 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Didn’t want to resurrect the admin thread for fear of giving everyone PTSD and not sure it deserves it’s own thread or not, but apparently we’ve come to some sort of settlement with Lech Poznan over what was owed for Jozwiak;

F0E7EDAC-45A9-4AAE-93ED-34E05963D8FF.jpeg

1CB5E3D8-8064-4AF1-9336-0BB877F65D35.jpeg

Well that's the Knight money accounted for.

On 28/07/2023 at 15:47, Eddie said:

This thread's full of how we have a (supposedly) bigger income than others, and that we may or might not be a more attractive enticement for certain players.

In truth, we have been a basket-case of a club for the best part of 45 years, with the odd ray of sunshine poking through.

The Lionel Pickering/TBE years were great and a bit more than a ray! Cheap up youth! We'll be League One Champions... one day! 

12 minutes ago, angieram said:

"The rest has already been settled" - I take this to mean as it was due, so we may not have had to pay anything more than we already have. 

Yes, but this has been reported a week or 2 after we received Knight and Bielik money. Seems a co-incidence,

1 minute ago, sage said:

Yes, but this has been reported a week or 2 after we received Knight and Bielik money. Seems a co-incidence,

Perhaps you're right but I thought we'd paid off a fair chunk of the fee by the time we came out of administration. Unless they also deferred payment, like Arsenal did, to help out? 

2 minutes ago, angieram said:

Perhaps you're right but I thought we'd paid off a fair chunk of the fee by the time we came out of administration. Unless they also deferred payment, like Arsenal did, to help out? 

The administrators plan was to essentially write it off as they didn't consider it to be a football debt, so only classed as an unsecured creditor.

That explains that then - the administrators didn’t pay the bill and we would have had a transfer ban for three windows if we didn’t pay up sharpish - ah well thanks to the new owner for sorting that mess out then - the Polish club did nothing wrong here.

I still can’t work out why we signed the two Poles for that much money when we were in the mire with money, it just made no sense and ultimately crippled us. 

5 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Didn’t want to resurrect the admin thread for fear of giving everyone PTSD and not sure it deserves it’s own thread or not, but apparently we’ve come to some sort of settlement with Lech Poznan over what was owed for Jozwiak;

F0E7EDAC-45A9-4AAE-93ED-34E05963D8FF.jpeg

1CB5E3D8-8064-4AF1-9336-0BB877F65D35.jpeg

Can’t believe how excited we were to get Jozwiak and he was f****** garbage. €4.3m is a sickener. 

6 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Can’t believe how excited we were to get Jozwiak and he was f****** garbage. €4.3m is a sickener. 

Guess we know where the Knight moneys gone then.  Mooted the likelihood of this a while ago.  Good news is we will have a ban lifted that stopped us purchasing abroad from UEFA.

4 hours ago, Sparkle said:

That explains that then - the administrators didn’t pay the bill and we would have had a transfer ban for three windows if we didn’t pay up sharpish - ah well thanks to the new owner for sorting that mess out then - the Polish club did nothing wrong here.

I still can’t work out why we signed the two Poles for that much money when we were in the mire with money, it just made no sense and ultimately crippled us. 

Especially as we could have signed a decent striker in Dursan for half the amount.

4 hours ago, Sparkle said:

That's the point, Mel didn't pay for them did he. Left paying for them to be a problem for the next owner to sort.

Our budget was probably to run at a £3-£5m loss in the first place. We probably ended up closer to £2 million loss last year. This money was provided by the Clowes Group.

I believe we budgeted for 17k Season Tickets. Then we would have had another 5-6k on each date. In reality we were probably 2-4k in ticket sales more per game. That’s probably £1.5 million more in ticket sales than budgeted for.

On 18/07/2023 at 20:17, Rev said:

The budget has to be whatever DC sets. 

If he can't stretch to releasing more money from his own pocket, so be it, it needs no explanation.

yes people keep going on about the business plan but I’d guess you’re right - it’s DC who is the constraint on spending 

the point is, it’s family money that is at stake, this is not his personal hobby.  I’d guess he will want to recoup the operating loss from last year, and he won’t want to take big risks, so big transfer cheques (and the salaries that go with them) will be off the table. Hence the talk of a 5 year plan. He doesn’t want to look future generations in the eye and say, whoops I’m the one who pissed away your inheritance. An unprofitable football club could put a major dent in the family company balance sheet

Which may well mean he would not be a popular owner of the club in the championship.