Is our budget any bigger than last year?

sage

On 21/07/2023 at 09:45, sage said:

I didn't say Cashin, but Bird and Sibley were given contracts in different times and there may not be much room between their current wage and the cap. 

IIRC Bird was on 8K and Sibs around 6K. 12K max last season so there's wiggle room there. More so if, if I'm correct and the max is up on last year's.

On 18/07/2023 at 10:37, Collo_DCFC11 said:

Genuinely baffles me some of the stuff I read on here and on Twitter. For what it's worth, to answer the question, I think we have obviously got a bigger budget than last season and so far I believe Warne has spent it very, very well. We are not be spending huge fees on players or making glamour signings but we are building a seriously formidable TEAM and squad at this level with the right characters, some quality and players that will fit our system.

Ahem

The budget must be bigger than last season's given every indication shows we made a profit. This is the season we need to escape this league. There are few big clubs in the division now unlike last season and we aren't so hamstrung. Our defence should be the best in the league but we desperately need more goals than we've got. We need to be patient and I'm sure we'll bring in a couple to bang them in

9 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

The budget must be bigger than last season's given every indication shows we made a profit. This is the season we need to escape this league. There are few big clubs in the division now unlike last season and we aren't so hamstrung. Our defence should be the best in the league but we desperately need more goals than we've got. We need to be patient and I'm sure we'll bring in a couple to bang them in

Unless this is a bluff to fool the market, we can't have a bigger budget.

We have lost 6 senior players, 2 of which were amongst our highest earners. We also had 5 players on loan. We brought in maybe £2m in fees.

So far we have signed 7 seniors players and 2 U21s. We can bring in 3 more, not all of which will be first choice players. 

We will still have a good budget and a good squad, but I would agree that this looks like a good season to 'go for it', but it's maybe a season too early re the EFL.  

Edited by sage

i think the main issue is wages that we tied up on older players last season

i also think the business plan is much stricter than we are lead to believe this season, we dont seem capable of spending any money at all

2 minutes ago, alram said:

i think the main issue is wages that we tied up on older players last season

i also think the business plan is much stricter than we are lead to believe this season, we dont seem capable of spending any money at all

It’s amazing how we’ve got all these players in for nothing with no wages and no agents fees.

1 minute ago, Foreveram said:

It’s amazing how we’ve got all these players in for nothing with no wages and no agents fees.

i think its clear we gambled for a quick return last year, we retained most players that had any value and went all in on older players with high wages - i think DC reaction early on in the season when he brought warne in quickly probably backs this up?

this season however the signings are much more league one than championship and we are cashing in on players that have any value left

43 minutes ago, alram said:

i think its clear we gambled for a quick return last year, we retained most players that had any value and went all in on older players with high wages - i think DC reaction early on in the season when he brought warne in quickly probably backs this up?

this season however the signings are much more league one than championship and we are cashing in on players that have any value left

We have signed 7 players so far, 6 of them played in the championship last season and the other came from a league one club that finished higher than us.

1 hour ago, alram said:

Nah. I don't see it like that at all. I think we had no option but to cash in on Knight but who are these other players we are cashing in on?

I think we are improving the squad on last year, replacing some really past it players with ones that can do a job and giving the side a much better balance so we can be competitive but doing it on a tight budget. We have still to see the whole of the recruitment and we will know better then whether the budget was bigger this year. I think we have pretty much broken even so far. Lets assume though that as well as recruitment we give Bird, Wildsmith, Sibley and Cashin improved contracts. I bet we are looking to do so. That will cost 

1 hour ago, alram said:

Not true at all.

Warne is choosing how he spends his budget - you understand that's how budgets work, right?

"Speaking after the 3-0 win over Stoke City at the weekend, Warne said: "If I wanted to buy a player it would have to come out of my budget and I only have so much left for wages.

"It would have to be an unbelievable player but if I am buying a player for £200k-£300k then I am not sure he's unbelievable.

"So if I buy a player for that amount, plus his wages, then I can only bring one player in if that's the case.

"I have to make good decisions for the football club and the team, I understand that.

"But if we are going to get a player in who is better than what we have here and he is currently under contract, then you're going to do well to get a number nine for £200k.

"It's either a free or a loan. Those our options."

1 hour ago, alram said:

Here’s some info about our signings, as has already been pointed out 5 of the 7 joined us from championship clubs and 1 from a relegated side, all 6 played championship football last season. The 7th signing played league one football last season in a team that finished above ours. 

Sonny Bradley (31) - spent the last 4 years in the championship making 120 appearances in that time, captaining a side promoted to the premier league last season.

Curtis Nelson (30) - spent the last 4 years in the championship making 136 appearances in that time. 

Callum Elder (28) - spent 3 of the last 4 seasons in the championship, making 91 appearances. In his one season in league one made 44 apps, made team of the year and his club side won promotion.

Conor Washington (31) - played 35 times in the championship last season, 2 years in league one before that making 71 apps and scoring 22 goals (11 both seasons)

Josh Vickers (27) - 3 championship appearances last year, 20 league one appearances the year before.

Joe Ward (27) - 42 league one appearances last season (in a side that finished above us), 38 championship appearances the season before that.

Kane Wilson (23) - 5 championship appearances last season. 45 league two appearances the year before, made team of the season and his club side were promoted to league one.

Based on the above info I’d argue 2, maybe 3 of the signings are “more league one than championship”, and not “much more” just more. Those being Vickers as a backup keeper who’s mainly made appearances in lower leagues, Wilson who’s only played full seasons (due to injury) in the lower leagues, and maybe Joe Ward as he joined from a league one side and spent last season assisting and scoring at this level. 

Oh and again this idea we’re “cashing in” or the squad is being “dismantled”….we’ve sold Knight at a profit which seems appropriate given his head had seemingly been turned and he only had a year to go on his deal. Bielik was always going to leave and wasn’t part of the squad last season. McGoldrick chose to leave, seemingly for sentimental reasons. There’s been no “cashing in on players”.

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

3 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Here’s some info about our signings, as has already been pointed out 5 of the 7 joined us from championship clubs and 1 from a relegated side, all 6 played championship football last season. The 7th signing played league one football last season in a team that finished above ours. 

Sonny Bradley (31) - spent the last 4 years in the championship making 120 appearances in that time, captaining a side promoted to the premier league last season.

Curtis Nelson (30) - spent the last 4 years in the championship making 136 appearances in that time. 

Callum Elder (28) - spent 3 of the last 4 seasons in the championship, making 91 appearances. In his one season in league one made 44 apps, made team of the year and his club side won promotion.

Conor Washington (31) - played 35 times in the championship last season, 2 years in league one before that making 71 apps and scoring 22 goals (11 both seasons)

Josh Vickers (27) - 3 championship appearances last year, 20 league one appearances the year before.

Joe Ward (27) - 42 league one appearances last season (in a side that finished above us), 38 championship appearances the season before that.

Kane Wilson (23) - 5 championship appearances last season. 45 league two appearances the year before, made team of the season and his club side were promoted to league one.

Based on the above info I’d argue 2, maybe 3 of the signings are “more league one than championship”, and not “much more” just more. Those being Vickers as a backup keeper who’s mainly made appearances in lower leagues, Wilson who’s only played full seasons (due to injury) in the lower leagues, and maybe Joe Ward as he joined from a league one side and spent last season assisting and scoring at this level. 

Oh and again this idea we’re “cashing in” or the squad is being “dismantled”….we’ve sold Knight at a profit which seems appropriate given his head had seemingly been turned and he only had a year to go on his deal. Bielik was always going to leave and wasn’t part of the squad last season. McGoldrick chose to leave, seemingly for sentimental reasons. There’s been no “cashing in on players”.

I dont believe any of them made any kind of impact at the level above, compared to many that did last year. you cant tell me any of those had better careers at the level above compared to last summers signings like mcgoldrick & hourihane just to name 2? they are more established league one than established championship

cashing in or not, we were holding out letting players leave last summer to go for promotion, this year we cant afford that luxury.

Edited by alram

3 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Not true at all.

Warne is choosing how he spends his budget - you understand that's how budgets work, right?

"Speaking after the 3-0 win over Stoke City at the weekend, Warne said: "If I wanted to buy a player it would have to come out of my budget and I only have so much left for wages.

"It would have to be an unbelievable player but if I am buying a player for £200k-£300k then I am not sure he's unbelievable.

"So if I buy a player for that amount, plus his wages, then I can only bring one player in if that's the case.

"I have to make good decisions for the football club and the team, I understand that.

"But if we are going to get a player in who is better than what we have here and he is currently under contract, then you're going to do well to get a number nine for £200k.

"It's either a free or a loan. Those our options."

yeah, i understand how budgets work.

those are quotes of a manager thats working for a club that cant spend any money

not sure why it is such a contraversial opinion that we are still under a pretty strict business plan

11 minutes ago, alram said:

I dont believe any of them made any kind of impact at the level above, compared to many that did last year. you cant tell me any of those had better careers at the level above compared to last summers signings like mcgoldrick & hourihane just to name 2? they are more established league one than established championship

I think Luton fans would say you are talking out of your rear end......and most Derby fans too come to that.