Is our budget any bigger than last year?

sage

37 minutes ago, alram said:

yeah, i understand how budgets work.

those are quotes of a manager thats working for a club that cant spend any money

not sure why it is such a contraversial opinion that we are still under a pretty strict business plan

You do remember the restrictions being eased?  This is from the BBC website on 10 May……”It was reported by BBC Radio Derby that the League One club will be able to operate without restrictions when the transfer window opens in the summer, and that they will instead be monitored by the EFL against their own budget and business plan.”

It goes on to say that transfer and loan fees can now be paid.  Warne obviously can spend money, he’s choosing how to spend it, as others have said.  He could spend a fee on a player but add on the agents fee, wages, etc he’ll be limiting the number of players he can bring in.  No doubt we’ve incurred agents fees with our signings so far as there’s no such thing as a free transfer.  Plus, I expect any loans will incur a fee, therefore widening our choice.

This is very sensible approach.  And I suspect he’ll want to leave a proportion of his budget for January so he can strengthen further a recruit a loan if we get a serious injury.

41 minutes ago, alram said:

I dont believe any of them made any kind of impact at the level above, compared to many that did last year. you cant tell me any of those had better careers at the level above compared to last summers signings like mcgoldrick & hourihane just to name 2? they are more established league one than established championship

cashing in or not, we were holding out letting players leave last summer to go for promotion, this year we cant afford that luxury.

I’m not saying they’ve had better careers, that wasn’t the point you originally made. You said our signings are “much more league one than championship” which in my opinion is another nonsense generalisation on your part. 

Bradley and Nelson have spent 4 years playing championship football and captaining sides at that level, they must have something about them that multiple football managers have seen so I’ll trust their judgement over yours. They’re also younger than Stearman, Chester and Davies so much closer to their peak years. 
Elder was a key figure in the dressing room at Hull and contributed to their promotion from league one and establishing themselves back in the championship. 

You’ve also misremembered or reinvented last summer. We only had 5 contracted players at the point the club was saved, the club then re-signed those willing to stay and signed other players still available having started the recruitment process later than all other sides. A good, but imbalanced squad was put together lacking depth and with an age disparity present between the younger and senior pros. There’s now more balance, less of an age difference within the squad, and depth in some areas with an intent to address the depth we still need. It simply is not the disastrous situation you seem repeatedly keen to invent. 

7 minutes ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

Still finding it odd that Warne has said he'd basically only be able to spend 200k on a player and even then it would take up his wage budget , where is all the money that's freed up from beilik and knight?

Can you find where he said this please?

7 minutes ago, Srg said:

Can you find where he said this please?

Print quotes here;

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derby-county-transfers-paul-warne-8626132

The audio of the same interview was aired during the 6pm Sportscene tonight, available here;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0fxrz5w?partner=uk.co.bbc&origin=share-mobile

Not exactly what the other poster said, but Warne does mention the budget and how he can use it. He said;

"If I wanted to buy a player it would have to come out of my budget and I only have so much left for wages," he said after Saturday's win over Stoke.

"It would have to be an unbelievable player but if I am buying a player for £200k to £300k then I am not sure he's unbelievable. So if I buy a player for that amount, plus his wages, then I can only bring one player in if that's the case.

"I have to make good decisions for the football club and the team, I understand that. But if we are going to get a player in who is better than what we have here and he is currently under contract, then you're going to do well to get a number nine for £200k. It's either a free or a loan. Those are our options."

Edited by Caerphilly Ram
Added the DET quote

7 minutes ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

Still finding it odd that Warne has said he'd basically only be able to spend 200k on a player and even then it would take up his wage budget , where is all the money that's freed up from beilik and knight?

It looks like it’s been spent on player wages, although after losing: Davies, Chester, Knight, Bielik and McGoldrick I wouldn’t have thought that was an issue. You would expect those 5 to be within our top 8 earners off the books from last season. 

Definitely mixed messages from the club, perhaps we need to raise cash in sales every year whilst at this level to keep ticking by, although the transfer strategy then comes into question as we seem to have avoided players who would have potential sell-on value. 

It does seem like we’re playing with a smaller budget than last season, albeit the money from transfers has kept it at a level. 

17 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

It looks like it’s been spent on player wages, although after losing: Davies, Chester, Knight, Bielik and McGoldrick I wouldn’t have thought that was an issue. You would expect those 5 to be within our top 8 earners off the books from last season. 

Definitely mixed messages from the club, perhaps we need to raise cash in sales every year whilst at this level to keep ticking by, although the transfer strategy then comes into question as we seem to have avoided players who would have potential sell-on value. 

It does seem like we’re playing with a smaller budget than last season, albeit the money from transfers has kept it at a level. 

I’d imagine club upkeep , maintaining the academy for starters. 

22 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Print quotes here;

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/derby-county-transfers-paul-warne-8626132

The audio of the same interview was aired during the 6pm Sportscene tonight, available here;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0fxrz5w?partner=uk.co.bbc&origin=share-mobile

Not exactly what the other poster said, but Warne does mention the budget and how he can use it. He said;

"If I wanted to buy a player it would have to come out of my budget and I only have so much left for wages," he said after Saturday's win over Stoke.

"It would have to be an unbelievable player but if I am buying a player for £200k to £300k then I am not sure he's unbelievable. So if I buy a player for that amount, plus his wages, then I can only bring one player in if that's the case.

"I have to make good decisions for the football club and the team, I understand that. But if we are going to get a player in who is better than what we have here and he is currently under contract, then you're going to do well to get a number nine for £200k. It's either a free or a loan. Those are our options."

So basically, we could have had one for a few hundred grand but would’ve signed half the players and those available for a few hundred grand ain’t that good anyway. 

6 minutes ago, simmoram1995 said:

I’d imagine club upkeep , maintaining the academy for starters. 

The academy maintaining category one means a level of investment so perhaps that’s where the money has been invested, to be fair. If we can lean on the academy this season to plug gaps without dropping quality too much that’s fine. 

5 minutes ago, Srg said:

So basically, we could have had one for a few hundred grand but would’ve signed half the players and those available for a few hundred grand ain’t that good anyway. 

Yes, and no….I think. That recent quote relates to the current state of play, but I suppose it’s the same thing overall. There was a pot of so much money, the options for that money were use it to pay transfer fees, agents fees, signing on fees, and wages. We’ve used the free agent market so far to get what Warne and co believe is the best value from that pot of money. There’s now, say £600k left (a completely guesstimated figure on my part), does he spend that on one player with £2-300k for a transfer fee and the remainder on that player’s wages, or use that £600k to get in 2/3 players on frees/loans to strengthen the squad overall…. I think that’s my understanding of it 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

10 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

The academy maintaining category one means a level of investment so perhaps that’s where the money has been invested, to be fair. If we can lean on the academy this season to plug gaps without dropping quality too much that’s fine. 

There’s been some player recruitment in the academy as well as the staff turnover so that should factor into some of the spending too, right? 

I'm not worried about our spending these season. We'll still be under more stringent EFL scrutiny for another year yet, we're at reduced revenues in league one compared to as usual and ultimately we aren't attempting to make the same mistakes we made in the past. We've got a pretty strong squad, if we can get a couple more we'll be in a competitive position. It's the right thing for us. 

12 minutes ago, Ram1988 said:

Looks like we may only have the budget to bring in another couple of signings. If so what would be our other priority be (apart from a cent foward) another left back or an attacking midfielder?

I would like 2 more forwards in, a number 9, and a number 10, as we only have Collins and Washington, and if we get 2 more attackers in I will be happy with our transfer business. 

22 minutes ago, DerbyAleMan said:

I would like 2 more forwards in, a number 9, and a number 10, as we only have Collins and Washington, and if we get 2 more attackers in I will be happy with our transfer business. 

I do agree that we only have Sibley for me who is a "natural number 10". I hope Mendez-Laing and Barkhuizen could have a good season providing something different as well being wide forwards.