Pre season training

bucktwo

10 minutes ago, Srg said:

I’d argue it’s more of a problem than ever as pace/athleticism is more important than it used to be. 

But regardless of that, everyone is different. You can’t just assume that because a player did something 5 years ago that they can now. And frankly, he doesn’t look remotely capable. 

He did however score 11 goals playing in half the games or coming off the bench. Perhaps @Ghost of Clough can tell us his goals per minute played last season and extrapolate to a 40 odd game season. With a "goalden" season he could easily make it 20+ next season (he probably won't, but you never know in football).

2 minutes ago, richinspain said:

He did however score 11 goals playing in half the games or coming off the bench. Perhaps @Ghost of Clough can tell us his goals per minute played last season and extrapolate to a 40 odd game season. With a "goalden" season he could easily make it 20+ next season (he probably won't, but you never know in football).

Stats subjective. Could, again, argue that he would have to exert more effort playing more minutes and therefore not be as affective in longer playing time. I’m not saying that’s a given either, just showing the pitfalls of stats. 

3 minutes ago, Srg said:

Stats subjective. Could, again, argue that he would have to exert more effort playing more minutes and therefore not be as affective in longer playing time. I’m not saying that’s a given either, just showing the pitfalls of stats. 

"Statistics are like a mini skirt, very nice to look at but hide what's really important" - Jimmy Sirrel.

Edited by richinspain
Quoted wrong

17 minutes ago, Srg said:

I’d argue it’s more of a problem than ever as pace/athleticism is more important than it used to be. 

But regardless of that, everyone is different. You can’t just assume that because a player did something 5 years ago that they can now. And frankly, he doesn’t look remotely capable. 

By the way, I'm not assuming that he'd score 24 again, but I do think he is a striker and has a nose for a goal. Those were the claims I didn't agree with.

Of course, we would have to play to his strengths for him to deliver lots of goals. But I'd say the manager and playing style is more important than the aging from 27 to 32. The world is full of examples of supporting that.

IMO he spend way too much energy on stupid presses and when he got the chance, he was tired and too far away from the goal to be a threat. 

22 minutes ago, richinspain said:

Any old schmuck can tell you that.

A goal every 232.73 minutes which works out as 17-18 (17.79) goals over the course of 46 games (4140 mins, not including added time)

Oh and he played in 61.84% of the minutes we played in League One.

Edited by Kokosnuss

12 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

I know it’s only a second or two in the clip but around the 30 second mark Thommo is dribbling the ball through some cones and his close control seems so much more assured than a number of the other senior pros, hope he has a part to play this season as I think he’s a tidy little footballer.

15 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I know it’s only a second or two in the clip but around the 30 second mark Thommo is dribbling the ball through some cones and his close control seems so much more assured than a number of the other senior pros, hope he has a part to play this season as I think he’s a tidy little footballer.

It helps that he's the most two footed player we have in the squad. He would often take set pieces with his left foot when playing for thr U21s/23s and you wouldn't notice it was his weaker foot.

8 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Love Thommo, hope he gets a chance to show his worth this season

21 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yep with the U21s this season I think. Last year U18s. Is that correct @Ghost of Clough?

Can potentially play anywhere behind the CF, but definitely best leading the line.

He was injured for the first half of the season. Came back into the U18 side and scored goals for fun. Played a couple for the U21s towards the end of the season and scored 1.