Pre-Season Friendlies 2023/24

1 minute ago, IlsonDerby said:

They’ve spent a week doing triple training sessions in Spanish July weather before doing a mid day match in Spanish July weather. Just lucky none of them collapsed 😂

Anyone who takes anything from pre season matches needs to lighten up. It’s all about minutes in the legs. 

They certainly didn't seem to 'let the ball do the work'. 😄

Nelson and Bradley seemed solid.  The midfield four seemed unsure of themselves first half, but Bird and Hourihan dropped a little deeper in the second half and got more into the game.  Thompson looked like he didn't really know how to play wing back at the start, but really grew into it.   Most pleasing was the youngsters though - Radcliffe and Robinson were good and Bardell MOTM for me. 

Overall, It was a bit of a fitness test. Clearly are working very hard on pressure without the ball. I could definitely see patterns of how and when we were pressing, but lacked any creativity which is not surprising because we didn't have any of our "threats" playing. 

If we are playing 3421, we need the likes of Ward on the wingback role because he will be 1 of our biggest threats this year. Also having NML pressing the back line and playing off the shoulder without need to drop deep will give us an easy option when being pressed for the ball over the top. But obviously today and preseason is about minutes for everyone and in that respect, mission complete.

Definitely crying out for a star man upfront. I would be happy with Godden, Ladapo or Nombe. I Think that would be 1 of the final pieces to the puzzle, then an attacking winger and possibly a DM option. But we are not far off!