Summer Rumour Mill

sage

39 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

Pretty much all the original rumours we had obviously, outside of the my mate heard at a bar rumours.

There have been very few reliable links to players. Warne was quoted as wanting to add Roberts to the squad, he looks to be going to a championship club so fair play to him. I’ve done a quick check of the other names I can recall us being linked with via varying levels of social media accounts and the press;

Clark Robertson is joining a team in Israel. So that’s one more. Sean Clare? He hasn’t signed anywhere yet. Wes Harding? He’s still a free agent. Alfie May? He’s still a Cheltenham player. Lee Bonis? He’s still playing in Ireland. Sonny Bradley? He’s still a free agent. Aden Flint? He’s still a free agent. Callum Elder? He’s still a free agent. Harvey Knibbs? He’s still a free agent. 

So of the names linked so far, we look to have missed out on Haydon Roberts and Clark Robertson. Knight and Bielik might be sold, that was sort of to be expected, but they are currently still contracted. David McGoldrick is allegedly in negotiations with us and Notts County, currently he is still a Derby player until 30/06. The transfer window doesn’t open until 14/06 and all the noise regarding recruitment to come out of the club at the end of season suggested they had a clear list of targets and were working on securing those players. I am unwilling to lose faith in the club and its processes this early in the summer based on a couple of players moving elsewhere and unsubstantiated rumour. It’s really not as bad as some people seem to think. 

EDIT - please don’t see this as “being jumped on or abused” I am looking to present some balance and logic to the argument, that’s all. If anyone can counter this point with evidence of us losing out on a load of targets and the prospects for next season being grim then I’ll happily consider that perspective. 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram
Added comment

1 minute ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

There have been very few reliable links to players. Warne was quoted as wanting to add Roberts to the squad, he looks to be going to a championship club so fair play to him. I’ve done a quick check of the other names I can recall us being linked with via varying levels of social media accounts and the press;

Clark Robertson is joining a team in Israel. So that’s one more. Sean Clare? He hasn’t signed anywhere yet. Wes Harding? He’s still a free agent. Alfie May? He’s still a Cheltenham player. Lee Bonis? He’s still playing in Ireland. Sonny Bradley? He’s still a free agent. Aden Flint? He’s still a free agent. Callum Elder? He’s still a free agent. Harvey Knibbs? He’s still a free agent. 

So of the names linked so far, we look to have missed out on Haydon Roberts and Clark Robertson. Knight and Bielik might be sold, that was sort of to be expected, but they are currently still contracted. David McGoldrick is allegedly in negotiations with us and Notts County, currently he is still a Derby player until 30/06. The transfer window doesn’t open until 14/06 and all the noise regarding recruitment to come out of the club at the end of season suggested they had a clear list of targets and were working on securing those players. I am unwilling to lose faith in the club and its processes this early in the summer based on a couple of players moving elsewhere and unsubstantiated rumour. It’s really not as bad as some people seem to think. 

The huge asterisk next to "missing out" should be that there was zero evidence we were ever interested in the first place.

43 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

Pretty much all the original rumours we had obviously, outside of the my mate heard at a bar rumours.

I think since efl loosened restrictions a little we seem to being linked with every potential player in certain positions at that level in the market so its really difficult to see what is a proper rumour and what is rubbish now, and hence who we have missed out on. So ones we missed out on may just be rumours from a tweet based on no insider knowledge at all. As players hopefully sign we will hopefully be able to see better who had the insider knowledge

1 minute ago, CBRammette said:

I think since efl loosened restrictions a little we seem to being linked with every potential player in certain positions at that level in the market so its really difficult to see what is a proper rumour and what is rubbish now, and hence who we have missed out on. So ones we missed out on may just be rumours from a tweet based on no insider knowledge at all. As players hopefully sign we will hopefully be able to see better who had the insider knowledge

I definitely think there is an element of just linking a player with Derby to get them a bigger offer for sure. Warne said he was showing some players around but nothing seems to be really happening now. Not really sure about some of the names we've been linked with in terms of quality, if McGoldrick leaves we'll have a massive void to fill (no guarantees his legs hold up for another season anyway).

18 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

EDIT - please don’t see this as “being jumped on or abused” I am looking to present some balance and logic to the argument, that’s all. If anyone can counter this point with evidence of us losing out on a load of targets and the prospects for next season being grim then I’ll happily consider that perspective. 

It's cool they are fair comments, how do you feel about the quality of the names linked? Personally not really bothered about losing out on some of them, I think May is the most exciting name so far, wouldn't mind Bradley. I'm 50/50 on McGoldrick, he's getting on now and whether he an do another full season at that level is unknown. Feel like we need a strong window this year but so far it seems pretty slow but obviously still plenty of time to go. Do we even know what the exact current retrictions are?

10 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

I definitely think there is an element of just linking a player with Derby to get them a bigger offer for sure. Warne said he was showing some players around but nothing seems to be really happening now. Not really sure about some of the names we've been linked with in terms of quality, if McGoldrick leaves we'll have a massive void to fill (no guarantees his legs hold up for another season anyway).

Generally players contracts run until the end of June so even out of contract players are still being paid at the moment, so they can sit back and see what’s on offer. Unless of course someone makes them an offer they can’t refuse.

Worth noting as well that we’re behind 20 teams in the championship. I say this as we arguably have as much pull as Rotherham, Plymouth, Hull and maybe one other. So whether we like it or not we’ll only get players that don’t attract a championship suitor. 

We may well end up having a worldie of a window but it’s going to take time.

5 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Worth noting as well that we’re behind 20 teams in the championship. I say this as we arguably have as much pull as Rotherham, Plymouth, Hull and maybe one other. So whether we like it or not we’ll only get players that don’t attract a championship suitor. 

We may well end up having a worldie of a window but it’s going to take time.

Yet several players turned down championship clubs last year to come to us.

We are in a better position now 

12 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

It's cool they are fair comments, how do you feel about the quality of the names linked? Personally not really bothered about losing out on some of them, I think May is the most exciting name so far, wouldn't mind Bradley. I'm 50/50 on McGoldrick, he's getting on now and whether he an do another full season at that level is unknown. Feel like we need a strong window this year but so far it seems pretty slow but obviously still plenty of time to go. Do we even know what the exact current retrictions are?

As a general rule I like that we’re being linked to players that will bring the general age of the squad down and who will fit into that peak age bracket that’s been mentioned. I feel the side needs some physicality and athleticism to complement the tidy footballers we’ve got, and have felt like that since before Warne arrived. I’d love us to build a side that can play and be physical in equal measure.
I think you’re right in that we’re being linked with names for the sake of it, be that agents playing games or media/social media pages doing it for the clicks. Warne has said before he likes to keep his transfer business quiet, and we didn’t know about a number of the loan players in January until they were pretty much done. Given the way the local press have been talking recently I think it’ll be very much the case that the club are working on deals and they’ll probably come out in the more reputable sources when done or very much close to it. Leigh Curtis suggested in his last Q&A with the DET that we can expect some transfer movement mid to late June so hopefully we get some news in the next week or so. 

57 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Clark Robertson is joining a team in Israel. So that’s one more. 

Other than the fact he played under Warne for a year or two, there was never any credible link to this 30 year old journeyman who was only on the fringes of the Pompey team anyway!

3 minutes ago, Carnero said:

Other than the fact he played under Warne for a year or two, there was never any credible link to this 30 year old journeyman who was only on the fringes of the Pompey team anyway!

Which is partly my point. I appreciate some fans have concerns about an apparent lack of transfer activity (which I don’t believe to be the case, it’s just not common knowledge because we’re running differently as a club), and some are taking it as gospel that McGoldrick is leaving because they heard it down the pub, or from removal men, or on Twitter from NottsCountyFan123456789, but the reality is we haven’t had many credible transfer links so far and I hope those fans will soon be able to rest easy as the club start announcing new players ready for our assault on league one. 

Like most other clubs there probably won’t be much, if any, serious activity until contracts run out at the end of June so until then much will just be speculation. Even then, sought after players probably won’t jump at the first offer unless it’s a really good one but I’d have thought on balance Derby would be a preferable destination to even some of those clubs higher up if the wages were similar. I don’t think anybody’s 100% sure what restrictions are still in place for this season but I’m sure it won’t be enough to prevent Warne competing for those players he does want.

2 hours ago, tomsdubs said:

Looks like all our supposed targets gone elsewhere, lets hope all the rumours are wrong cause it looks pretty bleak so far. Early days though.

You won't be alone in wanting signings in asap - we all do but it is very early in the window (as you do say in fairness) & hence is too early to make an assessment on whether the situation is bleak or not. About a month early I reckon.

Had to check dates but roughly this time last year we were chasing Chris Kirchner around a golf course (see below tweet) & yet by July 2nd, we had an impressive batch of names announced to play for us. 

In contrast to last year's chaos, we now have stable ownership, a Head of Recruitment, the EFL restrictions have loosened & a fairly compelling project to sell to new players - a probable tilt at automatic promotion from League One. Keep the faith

image.png.d0e279613226266e2f3118e0a2673d9e.png

1 hour ago, tomsdubs said:

Some names are a little underwhelming on paper but we are where we are and until they pull on that shirt playing with a different group and different coaches you just never know. I was underwhelmed by Wildsmith's signing last summer and before that CKR and look what a warrior he was for us

Let's face it, the online, so-called "news" outlets are, IMO, simply putting stories out on a daily or more frequent basis to get clicks to generate advertising revenue. Warne made a list of targets. The list including 2nd/3rd choices as well. That list went to the recruitment team and they are working on it. I very much doubt that the DT, FLW, realefl, the72 and others have seen who is, or isn't, on the list so everything they publish is mere speculation. I don't open their articles and therefore don't help their revenue stream.

28 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

You won't be alone in wanting signings in asap - we all do but it is very early in the window (as you do say in fairness) & hence is too early to make an assessment on whether the situation is bleak or not. About a month early I reckon.

Had to check dates but roughly this time last year we were chasing Chris Kirchner around a golf course (see below tweet) & yet by July 2nd, we had an impressive batch of names announced to play for us. 

In contrast to last year's chaos, we now have stable ownership, a Head of Recruitment, the EFL restrictions have loosened & a fairly compelling project to sell to new players - a probable tilt at automatic promotion from League One. Keep the faith

image.png.d0e279613226266e2f3118e0a2673d9e.png

Those were dark times.

The fear we may not have a club to support, was very real.

How fortunate we are.

2 hours ago, tomsdubs said:

Think you could be right. I read that Joe Worrell is only on £15 k a week in the Premiership,yet we are paying some of our Superstars £12k a week.Who would not fancy a little bit of that action.

2 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Think you could be right. I read that Joe Worrell is only on £15 k a week in the Premiership,yet we are paying some of our Superstars £12k a week.Who would not fancy a little bit of that action.

I read in Leigh Curtis' Q+A last week that, while we did have the third highest wage bill in the league, apparently only two of the squad earned over £10K a week (excluding Bielik, of course).

It seems that a lot of players are probably on 7-9K, which is still very appealing for the league that we are in. And, of course, you'll have bonuses and stuff as well.

1 hour ago, Scott129 said:

I read in Leigh Curtis' Q+A last week that, while we did have the third highest wage bill in the league, apparently only two of the squad earned over £10K a week (excluding Bielik, of course).

It seems that a lot of players are probably on 7-9K, which is still very appealing for the league that we are in. And, of course, you'll have bonuses and stuff as well.

Hourihane and McGoldrick do we reckon?