Summer Rumour Mill

sage

Just now, YorkshireRam said:

I'm in general agreement, but if the loanee is capable of contributing more effectively in games, then there is an argument they're worthwhile short-term, even at the expense of the development of our own youngsters.

I agree. But I find it unlikely given our current league status and financial position that we will attract such 'a player' on loan.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

I agree. But I find it unlikely given our current league status and financial position that we will attract such 'a player' on loan.

We couldn't even get a proper look at Brown in the cup. So, we need loans.

17 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

That's where we fully agree. Don't know much about this Fornah, but I do rate Thompson highly and would like to see him given a fair crack this season. Especially as he looked more than adequate in the league above. The Lampard season showed us the value of loanees but we're not in anywhere near the same position now. 

My only worry is that our transfers so far suggest that our recruitment don't agree, and are potentially just trying to get us over the line, rather than build a sustainable squad that only even needs to be tweaked, rather than rebuilt. 

21 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

That's where we fully agree. Don't know much about this Fornah, but I do rate Thompson highly and would like to see him given a fair crack this season. Especially as he looked more than adequate in the league above. The Lampard season showed us the value of loanees but we're not in anywhere near the same position now. 

My only worry is that our transfers so far suggest that our recruitment don't agree, and are potentially just trying to get us over the line, rather than build a sustainable squad that only even needs to be tweaked, rather than rebuilt. 

What do you see as Thompson's position, what he brings to the team and how he ranks compared to our other CMs.

Just out of interest?

3 hours ago, roboto said:

I'd hope that anyone coming in for that position might be better than Smith. I like Korey, but he is a bit limited in our midfield and not exactly the physical presence I think we need to allow other midfielders to flourish. After the second half at the weekend, I think Smith seems like the weak link in our midfield, but he is more than adequate squad cover for a couple of positions.

I personally think Korey Smith is underrated by some Rams fans

13 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

His main issue is he’s similar to what we already have. He’s glacially slow as well, so would be the first to drop out to add a bit more drive to the team. 

34 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

If we need to replace one of Smith, Bird or Hourihane with a more combative CDM type to get the most out of the squad then he would be the first one to drop. He's not a bad bench option and his versatility to also fill in at RB is helpful.

1 hour ago, YorkshireRam said:

If we get "over the line" then we will have the wherewithal to build a sustainable team. At the minute we are hamstrung and it is what it is. Would you want us to bust the budget and B#gger the EFL ?  Cos we've been there , done that and look where it got us 

1 hour ago, sage said:

What do you see as Thompson's position, what he brings to the team and how he ranks compared to our other CMs.

Just out of interest?

Furthest back of the 3 but not a typical DM. He has excellent close control and retains the ball well in tight spaces. He's also terrier-like and suits Warne's press, plus has the energy and legs Smith maybe lacks to properly screen the back 3. His progressive dribbling is surprisingly strong also. 

He's not massive in stature, but the 3 behind him are which negates the need for him to be- so he'd be more Shinnie than Bielik in my mind; getting stuck in and doing the dirty work, regaining possession, and starting us on the attack, with some tidy play on the ball for good measure. 

4 minutes ago, Wignall12 said:

If we get "over the line" then we will have the wherewithal to build a sustainable team. At the minute we are hamstrung and it is what it is. Would you want us to bust the budget and B#gger the EFL ?  Cos we've been there , done that and look where it got us 

Probably shouldn't have used the word 'worry' as I'm not sure the short-term view is intrinsically bad, just that if it doesn't work you've still got to rebuild, just in the same league as before... so why not start sooner?

I won't claim to know the nuances of our finances currently or why we're 'hamstrung', I was speaking more ideologically that there's merits to both approaches but one has more benefits if success isn't achieved, that's all.

On 14/08/2023 at 15:13, rammieib said:

Warne trying to sell the idea of taking a creative youngster on loan:

”Mr manager, we would be a great option for your kid. We make on average three passes before we lose possession but don’t worry, we will boot the ball up the field and then pressure their defence to get the ball back. So you’re playing will get plenty of change to influence the game”

If I had a midfielder or an attacker in my club, I wouldn’t look at Derby as an option at all.

I just don’t see it like that. It’s true we’ve gone long against the better opponents but our current style since Warne came in has been always been variable and flexible. That said we do lack an imperious midfielder and I reckon Warne knows it.

1 hour ago, jono said:

I just don’t see it like that. It’s true we’ve gone long against the better opponents but our current style since Warne came in has been always been variable and flexible. That said we do lack an imperious midfielder and I reckon Warne knows it.

I do wonder whether Warne tried to get Bielik back after the World Cup, I didn't think we needed him at the time, but then I thought we'd make top 6 easily anyway! Doh.