Summer Rumour Mill

sage

36 minutes ago, sage said:

He has barely played for Forest. It would have no impact on 90% of fans. 

We have signed high profile forest players in the past with barely an issue.

I think a Forest academy playing coming on loan to us, compounding the issues of the current fortunes of both football clubs will cause some to take issue, personally. I could be wrong, of course, but I would worry about the outcome if he’s anything other than absolutely perfect. He’s 100% not going to get the leniency that Dobbin and Osula got - even Harvey White to a point.  

14 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I think a Forest academy playing coming on loan to us, compounding the issues of the current fortunes of both football clubs will cause some to take issue, personally. I could be wrong, of course, but I would worry about the outcome if he’s anything other than absolutely perfect. He’s 100% not going to get the leniency that Dobbin and Osula got - even Harvey White to a point.  

image.png.3145ea59d24aa9cd8614b337afb4f244.png

We signed the guy that did this and it went okay... I think Fornah would be fine 😂

39 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

Why should it? We’ve done it in the past with Terry Hennessy, Frank Wignall and more recently Floodgates, and all we’ll do is take his transferring to us as a sign that having tasted the Trees he now hates them!

Might be naming some players there that are way before the times of a lot of fans.

Big difference between loan and permanent signings.

11 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

image.png.3145ea59d24aa9cd8614b337afb4f244.png

We signed the guy that did this and it went okay... I think Fornah would be fine 😂

We didn't sign him when he was still employed by Nottingham Forest, though, which is my point. 

A permanent transfer, of course, would be no problem. I'm working under the assumption Fornah would be in a Derby shirt as a Forest player and everything that comes with it. 

2 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

We didn't sign him when he was still employed by Nottingham Forest, though, which is my point. 

A permanent transfer, of course, would be no problem. I'm working under the assumption Fornah would be in a Derby shirt as a Forest player and everything that comes with it. 

If that’s all people have to worry about I seriously need to make some significant life changes 

2 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

If that’s all people have to worry about I seriously need to make some significant life changes 

You do realise you're talking about a fanbase that on mass called Billy Sharp a sex offender and a paedophile for absolutely no good reason  and then cried when he gave a bit back? 

You think if we sign a Forest player on loan and he gives a penalty away to cost us the game (like White at Bristol) he isn't going to be absolutely dogged with abuse? Forest fans lapping it up with 'Agent Fornah' to make matters worse - it's ridiculous but that's football.

23 minutes ago, roboto said:

I don't think we'd be loaning him to improve him for Forest. The lad is out of contract at the end of this season and looked set to sign for Reading this summer if it wasn't for their financial issues.

it may just be a free.  

21 minutes ago, Scott129 said:

That's what I thought but apparently it's not. Suspect it will be similar to Haydon Roberts' situation last season.

well, it's a body. Even if it's someone to replace Smith for the last 20 mins in games and start in cup games, it's better than where we are now.  

40 minutes ago, sage said:

well, it's a body. Even if it's someone to replace Smith for the last 20 mins in games and start in cup games, it's better than where we are now.  

I'd hope that anyone coming in for that position might be better than Smith. I like Korey, but he is a bit limited in our midfield and not exactly the physical presence I think we need to allow other midfielders to flourish. After the second half at the weekend, I think Smith seems like the weak link in our midfield, but he is more than adequate squad cover for a couple of positions.

2 hours ago, sage said:

We thought that about White and Springett (some of us even thought it about Dobbin) but it's just a waste of money and opportunity.

7 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

We thought that about White and Springett (some of us even thought it about Dobbin) but it's just a waste of money and opportunity.

The only counterargument i'd put up here is Port Vale (A). Dobbin created both the goals and it was Springett's effort to keep the ball in-play that led to the 2nd. 2/3 points could be the difference in a tightly-run promotion race, so any loan that contributes points probably isn't a waste. Last season these points didn't mean much, but they could this season?

5 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

The only counterargument i'd put up here is Port Vale (A). Dobbin created both the goals and it was Springett's effort to keep the ball in-play that led to the 2nd. 2/3 points could be the difference in a tightly-run promotion race, so any loan that contributes points probably isn't a waste. Last season these points didn't mean much, but they could this season?

Save the money until January. Play our own youngsters - Rooney, Robinson, Radcliffe, Tommo, etc.

12 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Save the money until January. Play our own youngsters - Rooney, Robinson, Radcliffe, Tommo, etc.

I'm in general agreement, but if the loanee is capable of contributing more effectively in games, then there is an argument they're worthwhile short-term, even at the expense of the development of our own youngsters.

This starts to touch on a bigger question at the minute: short term success v long-term sustainability. I agree that it's always preferable to develop and grow your own youngsters, rather than other teams' higher up the pyramid. However, judging by signings and comments made this season, it seems we're hell-bent on going up this season, in which case, loans may make more sense for us?