Summer Rumour Mill

sage

Bristol Rovers look like the favourites to sign Harvey Vale from Chelsea. 

He was the England u19 captain when they won the Euros and got into the team of the tournament. He went on loan to Hull last season but has a tough time, as did Ebiowei so it’s no huge knock. One of Chelsea’s highly rated academy prospects. Central midfielder that can cover a number of positions on the left side of the pitch. 

I mean.. surely we would’ve been interested?!

8 hours ago, Ambitious said:

He was the England u19 captain when they won the Euros and got into the team of the tournament. He went on loan to Hull last season but has a tough time, as did Ebiowei so it’s no huge knock. One of Chelsea’s highly rated academy prospects. Central midfielder that can cover a number of positions on the left side of the pitch. 

Maybe, but a player like that will have guaranteed starting clauses. Warne is never going to agree to a loan with anything like that attached. 

15 minutes ago, Srg said:

Maybe, but a player like that will have guaranteed starting clauses. Warne is never going to agree to a loan with anything like that attached. 

Good point, but we're a division 3 side with a criminal lack of depth and he's (now) England U20s captain - I'd imagine he would do more than ok in our side. It would've been worth pursuing, providing the money is there. 

Also worth noting that Bristol fans are also expecting to go in for Jonson Clark-Harris this week (they're expecting 3 new signings) so they may be throwing a bit of money at Joey to get them up. 

8 hours ago, Ambitious said:

More of an attacking mid, isn't he? So would only fit in if Bird was played deeper, which Warne seems reluctant to do at the moment.

9 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Central midfielder that can cover a number of positions on the left side of the pitch. 

Hourihane, Bird and Sibley also predominantly left sided. I’d say we need to balance it up with someone on the right.

On 13/08/2023 at 09:08, deanoakaram4life said:

Bit negative mate! If them clubs were after you, you’d definitely choose Derby we have double the fans at home matches! 

But Warne will make it know there's no guarantee of starting games , talk about high pressing and we will probably offer less as well.

7 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Our defenders had an average pass success rate of 44%, and midfielders 48%, including Bird at just 36%.

28% of our passes went long  woth an average passing streak of just 3.

If we go long can’t we play high press. Ie Third goal against Burton .

We are playing a form of high press 

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Our defenders had an average pass success rate of 44%, and midfielders 48%, including Bird at just 36%.

28% of our passes went long  woth an average passing streak of just 3.

The stats arent totally indicative are they?

We had a mixed game where Burton had a lot of pressure, more than Warne would want. The period of the game where we played well we kept hold of the ball, look at the goals we scored second half. That is a better indication of the true play style, look at stats in a game where we were under pressure for a large period of time will show a few longer passes to get the danger away. I imagine comfortable home wins the stats will say we were like prime Barcelona.

28 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

The stats arent totally indicative are they?

We had a mixed game where Burton had a lot of pressure, more than Warne would want. The period of the game where we played well we kept hold of the ball, look at the goals we scored second half. That is a better indication of the true play style, look at stats in a game where we were under pressure for a large period of time will show a few longer passes to get the danger away. I imagine comfortable home wins the stats will say we were like prime Barcelona.

The regularity of going long definitely is indicative of a long ball game. So too is our passing streak, which indicates we're no longer a side which actually likes to pass the ball to our own players anymore. You don't need stats to tell you this though. It's obvious from just watching us.

Long ball doesn't mean hoofing it every chance you get.

22 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

The regularity of going long definitely is indicative of a long ball game. So too is our passing streak, which indicates we're no longer a side which actually likes to pass the ball to our own players anymore. You don't need stats to tell you this though. It's obvious from just watching us.

Long ball doesn't mean hoofing it every chance you get.

Can just mean panicking under pressure, too. Need calmness and confidence do what you want to do, and not treat it like a hot potato.

2 hours ago, tomsdubs said:

I mean Bird got MoM and was on the ball the loads which seems to contradict what you are saying.

I didn't see the game Saturday as in Spain on holiday.   Have seen mention by some posters of too many long balls though and saw plenty of games last year where we totally bypassed the midfield to justify my comment.

There aren't any teams in the Prem who's main attacking tactic is to get it wide and get crosses in either.  I honestly don't think Warnes tactics are remotely like those employed by pretty much all of the teams in the Prem.

11 minutes ago, Blondest Goat said:

I didn't see the game Saturday as in Spain on holiday.   Have seen mention by some posters of too many long balls though and saw plenty of games last year where we totally bypassed the midfield to justify my comment.

There aren't any teams in the Prem who's main attacking tactic is to get it wide and get crosses in either.  I honestly don't think Warnes tactics are remotely like those employed by pretty much all of the teams in the Prem.

Confused Curb Your Enthusiasm GIF