Summer Rumour Mill

sage

2 minutes ago, angieram said:

Your post is open to misinterpretation. I thought you meant we'd be better off getting rid and not replacing them. 

But you meant, we couldn't replace them with better loans? At least I hope you did! 

I had to read it a couple of times too, think it means no loan signings we are likely to make would be an improvement on the players suggested for sale, therefore we’d be better off keeping them.

51 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

That won't have come as a surprise to the club though?

We'd already (supposedly) factored in payments for Bielik when setting the budget and the dispute about Jozwiak was already ongoing, so surely that would also have been taken into account.

We even 'got away' without paying the full amount due.

It would be a pretty big bloody oversight for this to have suddenly wiped our budget, and we wouldn't be that stupid, would we? Would we?

I can't think of any other explanantion

Just looking at earlier rumours/deals. If money is as tight as now appearing and If we needed a 10 why not go for Rodrigues? He’ll do well for Oxford this year - had a great second half in their first league game despite the result apparently but even if it didn’t work out you wouldn’t be struggling to find another team to take a risk on him midway through his contract. 

50 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

What utterly depressing state of affairs if we’ve blown our entire budget on what has currently come through the door. 

When the club you support has nearly ceased to exist then that outcome would be utterly depressing. 

Signing League 1 players isn't anywhere near that level. 

But I respect that different people have different levels of tolerance or stress or trigger points. 

4 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

If Hourihane is our top paid player and isn't making most peoples starting 11 I'd argue it's not just this summers spending which is hampering the budget!

This is partly my own thinking. Warne has been able to shape the squad more this summer, but he is saddled with players and contracts signed last summer that perhaps he doesn’t want and can’t move on. I still agree with those points raised by people that a good manager would work with what they’ve got and maximise the potential in the side so Warne needs to get a move on and prove he’s got that in his locker, but it’s still an interesting point to consider when looking at the squad overall.

7 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

This is partly my own thinking. Warne has been able to shape the squad more this summer, but he is saddled with players and contracts signed last summer that perhaps he doesn’t want and can’t move on. I still agree with those points raised by people that a good manager would work with what they’ve got and maximise the potential in the side so Warne needs to get a move on and prove he’s got that in his locker, but it’s still an interesting point to consider when looking at the squad overall.

Why make Conor captain in that case 🤔

7 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Warne’s clearly not saddled with Hourihane. He even let his players pick him as bloody captain.

Christopher Mcdonald Lol GIF

15 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Why make Conor captain in that case 🤔

13 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Warne’s clearly not saddled with Hourihane. He even let his players pick him as bloody captain.

Christopher Mcdonald Lol GIF

I didn’t specify Hourihane, though I’m aware the post I replied to did. Mine was more a general point, building on something I said yesterday, that it’s still not fully a squad of Warne’s choosing though it’s much closer to that now and it’s still going to take time to lower the age of the squad regardless. And I acknowledge Warne should be getting more from whatever players he does have available and could have signed some other younger players this summer, still with time to do so. I wasn’t spoiling for a disagreement, just voicing an observation.

Specific to Hourihane being captain, Warne let the players choose as mentioned, but I don’t think it’s a nonsensical appointment having an experienced former international as the captain. It’s on Hourihane to show his leadership qualities on and off the pitch, especially how things have been this week. 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

6 minutes ago, Yoxoram said:

He'd make my starting 11. One of the top performing players in League 1 last season.

Agreed - still don't think the midfield we assembled last year is balanced correctly mind. Just food for thought when we're looking at how our resources are being used. 

On 23/05/2023 at 00:53, sage said:

If we had held onto them, Ebosele and Archie Brown could have been our wing backs, flanking Bird, Knight and Sibley with Cash behind and Delap and Kaide Gordon up front.

Shame on you MM. 

When you see where Archie has ended up now, even more shame given the barrel we’re currently scraping ☹️