Summer Rumour Mill

sage

"It has been evident that I want to play, ideally, with wing-backs. With Callum Elder being injured, Kane Wilson being down, and while Thommo has been excellent for me at left wing-back, he can't play 46 games there for me obviously.

"I think we could do with a bit more balance of bringing in another left-footed wing-back. If I can get a different one to Callum and a speedboat that's what I'll get.

"We need something up top and may be something more in the middle. Whether my budget will allow three excellent players, I am not so sure.

"It might just be two so it's what I need the most. I need a striker, but every club wants one. I still have players on my list that I am not sure who are going to improve us.

"I spoke to two Championship clubs this week and they're on their list. I am like he is on your list?! I went he's on my list and I am not sure he's good enough for us.

"It gets to the point where you don't want to be that guy, but you think something is better than nothing.

"There are two who I really like that I am trying to do. We can't sign the best strikers in League One currently because they are under contract and it will take big fees to get them out.

"So you're looking at players who have played at the Championship and while their age is not ideal but they will improve us. But the problem is and I would say 75 per cent of Champ clubs haven't got money for transfer fees so you're in the same shop as them.

"Hence why it's really difficult. There are three apples in the shop, but 30 clubs are chasing those three apples. That's where we are. Idealy I would get a nine, a 10 and another wing-back."

https://twitter.com/dcfc_live/status/1682833094267502592

17 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

"It has been evident that I want to play, ideally, with wing-backs. With Callum Elder being injured, Kane Wilson being down, and while Thommo has been excellent for me at left wing-back, he can't play 46 games there for me obviously.

"I think we could do with a bit more balance of bringing in another left-footed wing-back. If I can get a different one to Callum and a speedboat that's what I'll get.

"We need something up top and may be something more in the middle. Whether my budget will allow three excellent players, I am not so sure.

"It might just be two so it's what I need the most. I need a striker, but every club wants one. I still have players on my list that I am not sure who are going to improve us.

"I spoke to two Championship clubs this week and they're on their list. I am like he is on your list?! I went he's on my list and I am not sure he's good enough for us.

"It gets to the point where you don't want to be that guy, but you think something is better than nothing.

"There are two who I really like that I am trying to do. We can't sign the best strikers in League One currently because they are under contract and it will take big fees to get them out.

"So you're looking at players who have played at the Championship and while their age is not ideal but they will improve us. But the problem is and I would say 75 per cent of Champ clubs haven't got money for transfer fees so you're in the same shop as them.

"Hence why it's really difficult. There are three apples in the shop, but 30 clubs are chasing those three apples. That's where we are. Idealy I would get a nine, a 10 and another wing-back."

Sounds like he’ll go for a striker and a wing back and hope we can afford a CAM

16 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Sounds positive, I think come 3 weeks time with all the players with knocks back and 2/3 good quality additions we’re going to look really solid as a squad. Exciting season ahead.

25 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

In a nutshell...

We've tried, we've failed, we go with what we have got, hopefully we make a better go of it next season.

26 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

"So you're looking at players who have played at the Championship and while their age is not ideal but they will improve us.

For those expecting/wanting a Clarke-Harris or Nombe I think this is Warne downplaying that expectation.
Also the ideal age bracket is seemingly being relaxed so that we can get someone in. It’s probably going to be Rhodes or someone of that ilk. An experienced striker who is less than the ideal choice but will still provide an option in the squad.

Striker as a priority, then a left sided wing back (maybe not convinced by Wilson on that side after all?) and if possible (loan?) a number 10.

4 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

In a nutshell...

We've tried, we've failed, we go with what we have got, hopefully we make a better go of it next season.

What does the last part of your summary mean? Make a better go of recruitment next season? Or make a better go of the whole season?

From those comments been looking at the championship 

Sonny Perkins or Joe gelhart - Leeds strikers loan 

Leo heldj- LWB - Leeds loan 

josh coburn- striker boro  loan 

Harry Leonard- striker Blackburn loan 

jamie Patterson - striker /winger Swansea loan / fee 

max watters - striker Cardiff loan 

tom Bradshaw - striker millwall loan / fee 

Matty Godden - striker Coventry fee 

Jordan Rhodes - striker  Huddersfield - fee or loan 

cohen Bramall - LWB Rotherham loan 

tom eaves - striker Rotherham  - loan or fee 

Jonathan Kodja- striker free 

connor wickham- striker free 

Morgan fox - LWB free 

Scott Malone LWB free 

32 minutes ago, simmoram1995 said:

From those comments been looking at the championship 

Sonny Perkins or Joe gelhart - Leeds strikers loan 

Leo heldj- LWB - Leeds loan 

josh coburn- striker boro  loan 

Harry Leonard- striker Blackburn loan 

jamie Patterson - striker /winger Swansea loan / fee 

max watters - striker Cardiff loan 

tom Bradshaw - striker millwall loan / fee 

Matty Godden - striker Coventry fee 

Jordan Rhodes - striker  Huddersfield - fee or loan 

cohen Bramall - LWB Rotherham loan 

tom eaves - striker Rotherham  - loan or fee 

Jonathan Kodja- striker free 

connor wickham- striker free 

Morgan fox - LWB free 

Scott Malone LWB free 

Tom Bradshaw 🤣

1 hour ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

For those expecting/wanting a Clarke-Harris or Nombe I think this is Warne downplaying that expectation.
Also the ideal age bracket is seemingly being relaxed so that we can get someone in. It’s probably going to be Rhodes or someone of that ilk. An experienced striker who is less than the ideal choice but will still provide an option in the squad.

Striker as a priority, then a left sided wing back (maybe not convinced by Wilson on that side after all?) and if possible (loan?) a number 10.

Agreed and it's disappointing news. Clearly only shopping in lg1 or champ. Why are we surprised by the market? We've had time to widen the net, but it seems Warne might be very cautious on that front. So We've done well so far, but attacking wise it is sounding a bit desperate,  We've gone way down warnes list to those he's not that sure about. 

1 minute ago, Andrew3000 said:

Agreed and it's disappointing news. Clearly only shopping in lg1 or champ. Why are we surprised by the market? We've had time to widen the net, but it seems Warne might be very cautious on that front. So We've done well so far, but attacking wise it is sounding a bit desperate,  We've gone way down warnes list to those he's not that sure about. 

I think he made a key point  that there’s virtually no money changing hands, even in the league above.

What that has caused is a lot more teams in the running for every player because the absence of a fee makes that player more affordable. The knock on to that is that those players we would like which would improve us all now suddenly have a stack of Championship teams also after them.

Means whilst we are still attractive as a supposed big fish in a smaller pond, who may even be able to get close on wages with some deals, we still can’t offer a better level of football.