Summer Transfer Suggestion Thread 2023

13 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Worrying to say the least. Would have preferred to keep him and not receive money that we can’t invest anyway.

We can invest the money. There are fees to be paid even for a “free” transfer, there are wages to be paid to new signings, and as Warne has said in that quote it CAN be used for transfer fees. There’s also a need to continue recruiting for the academy sides after they were decimated and the restructuring of the staff involved there.
Clowes, Pearce and Warne have to make the budget work, it’s not as simple as we’ve got £2m for Knight burning a hole in the club’s pocket so we go and spend that £2m straightaway. The club has running costs, the club potentially has future transfer commitments outstanding on the 2 poles, they may have confidence in their ability to wheel and deal now then spend bigger next summer with some mid to long term planning rather than the short-termism that led us into the mire under Morris. 

3 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

We can invest the money. There are fees to be paid even for a “free” transfer, there are wages to be paid to new signings, and as Warne has said in that quote it CAN be used for transfer fees. There’s also a need to continue recruiting for the academy sides after they were decimated and the restructuring of the staff involved there.
Clowes, Pearce and Warne have to make the budget work, it’s not as simple as we’ve got £2m for Knight burning a hole in the club’s pocket so we go and spend that £2m straightaway. The club has running costs, the club potentially has future transfer commitments outstanding on the 2 poles, they may have confidence in their ability to wheel and deal now then spend bigger next summer with some mid to long term planning rather than the short-termism that led us into the mire under Morris. 

There’s a 2 Ronnies sketch in there somewhere 

Edited by DiggerB

1 hour ago, Srg said:

No no, you don’t understand. We must keep players who don’t want to be here hostage. They can be handcuffed at Moor Farm overnight. 

That must be the mysterious “derby way” so do we gaffer tape cashin to the entrance  and forcefully make him sign a B4 drafted release clause of £30m quid 🤔 

1 hour ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

My point is, last year the club was significantly better than the budget (cup games helped especially at Liverpool and good ST numbers). This year we have sold £3 million in players (the final Bielik payment already in the budget allegedly), great ST numbers again, EFL backing down over the transfer fee stance, Clowes saying he has the best ‘budget’ in the league (or Close to) and we can’t attract a single promising striker/AM.

Sorry, I feel like we are being fed a little bit of a lie IMO.

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

That’s disappointing, honestly.

I hope the club know what they’re doing, because it’s for me, it’s a critical year and if they fail to win promotion this season, next season will be a lot more difficult - guarantee there won’t be 21-22k season ticket holders without a promotion. Bird and Cashin probably don’t sign without a promotion too, so I would argue that it’s important that we do what we can to make sure we’re in the best possible position for promotion.

I didn’t expect a spending spree but thought we would at least show some intent by reinvesting some of the cash from sales by bringing in players with some resale value and freshening up the squad. If our plan is to just recycle through free agents every year then it will be difficult to build towards anything sustainable. 

1 minute ago, Ambitious said:

That’s disappointing, honestly.

I hope the club know what they’re doing, because it’s for me, it’s a critical year and if they fail to win promotion this season, next season will be a lot more difficult - guarantee there won’t be 21-22k season ticket holders without a promotion. Bird and Cashin probably don’t sign without a promotion too, so I would argue that it’s important that we do what we can to make sure we’re in the best possible position for promotion.

I didn’t expect a spending spree but thought we would at least show some intent by reinvesting some of the cash from sales by bringing in players with some resale value and freshening up the squad. If our plan is to just recycle through free agents every year then it will be difficult to build towards anything sustainable. 

Hard to disagree, we obviously stuck under restrictions still but if we can’t bring in another decent striker and attacker then come January we will be stuttering 

so is dismantling our squad of its best players still a good option then? 

this has the makings of a long season i hope im wrong

Edited by alram

6 minutes ago, Charlie George said:

Charlie Savage signing a four year deal at Reading. Would have liked to think we'd have been all over that.

We’re not paying fees, by the sounds of it, whereas Reading are still throwing caution to the wind. They’ve signed Wing, Smith and Knibbs too. The manager said he wants 10 more players too, so they’re definitely going to be spending some money this summer. 

23 minutes ago, rammieib said:

My point is, last year the club was significantly better than the budget (cup games helped especially at Liverpool and good ST numbers). This year we have sold £3 million in players (the final Bielik payment already in the budget allegedly), great ST numbers again, EFL backing down over the transfer fee stance, Clowes saying he has the best ‘budget’ in the league (or Close to) and we can’t attract a single promising striker/AM.

Sorry, I feel like we are being fed a little bit of a lie IMO.

What is this lie you think we’re being fed? And what is the suspected purpose of this alleged lie? 

People need to realise the financial woes of the league we are in. There wont be £2 million plus sat in a bank account from the Knight transfer, or the Bielek transfer. It will be stage payments based on various things such as appearances etc.The payments will come in, which will then go into a cash flow forecast, which will then drive the clubs budget plans.

Given the total turnover might well be £15 million ish, and a wage bill of £8-9 million, it leaves very little after running the academy and stadium costs etc. The days of even Shaun Barker type fees is long gone, and I'm sure even a free transfer is never free, after paying the % fees to agents etc.

When they stated last season they were ahead of budget, it quite likely meant the cash flow was better, but I doubt we are talking millions better. In this league hundreds of thousands are the figures talked about, even for us larger clubs.

Edited by Simmo’s left foot

22 minutes ago, alram said:

so is dismantling our squad of its best players still a good option then? 

this has the makings of a long season i hope im wrong

What “dismantling”?! Your take on things uses such odd and alarmist language at times.
We allowed 3 experienced cbs to leave at the expiry of their contracts and signed 2 younger but seemingly just as capable replacements, and added a youngster to the academy at cb following his deal expiring at a premier league club. 

A backup goalkeeper left at the end of his loan and we’ve signed a permanent replacement on a 3 year deal.

We’ve allowed the one right back we had to go out on loan for experience and signed two proper right sided wing backs at a peak age therefore strengthening the squad in this position as we were playing 2 midfielders there last year.

A promising premier league loanee who could play on the left of defence returned to his parent club and upon the expiry of his contract signed for a team in the league above. We’ve signed a 28 year old Lwb in Elder who is in his peak years, has experience at this level and the league above and the last time he was in league one he ended up on the team of the year as his club went up as champions and he provided a hatful of assists along the way.

Knight and McGoldrick are the two big losses from last seasons squad. There’s been no “dismantling”. Knight left for a reasonable amount of money to a club in the league above, we’ve replaced him at rwb from last seasons squad and still have options in midfield. Knight’s big asset was his energy right? Running and pressing, the whole team is being drilled in this way with Ward and Wilson likely offering as much if not more tangible output in an immediate sense down the right than Knight did (this isn’t me doing Knight down but we have some elements of what he offered in the squad).

McGoldrick’s touch, vision, intelligence and goals are a loss. We’ve added a more industrious option in Washington and are looking to add another striker. We won’t match McGoldrick’s class but we’ll most likely have another body at the sharp end of the pitch working hard and getting on the end of chances.
It’s really not the disaster you seem repeatedly intent to profess.

EDIT - And the other premier league loanees we had were allegedly not up to much according to a lot of our fans. The only real loss in terms of output is Dobbin and as much as I liked him even I can admit to his inconsistencies. 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

2 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

What “dismantling”?! Your take on things uses such odd and alarmist language at times.
We allowed 3 experienced cbs to leave at the expiry of their contracts and signed 2 younger but seemingly just as capable replacements, and added a youngster to the academy at cb following his deal expiring at a premier league club. 

A backup goalkeeper left at the end of his loan and we’ve signed a permanent replacement on a 3 year deal.

We’ve allowed the one right back we had to go out on loan for experience and signed two proper right sided wing backs at a peak age therefore strengthening the squad in this position as we were playing 2 midfielders there last year.

A promising premier league loanee who could play on the left of defence returned to his parent club and upon the expiry of his contract signed for a team in the league above. We’ve signed a 28 year old Lwb in Elder who is in his peak years, has experience at this level and the league above and the last time he was in league one he ended up on the team of the year as his club went up as champions and he provided a hatful of assists along the way.

Knight and McGoldrick are the two big losses from last seasons squad. There’s been no “dismantling”. Knight left for a reasonable amount of money to a club in the league above, we’ve replaced him a rwb from last seasons squad and still have options in midfield. Knight’s big asset was his energy right? Running and pressing, the whole team is being drilled in this way with Ward and Wilson likely offering as much of not more tangible output in an immediate sense down the right than Knight did (this isn’t me doing Knight down but we have some elements of what he offered in the squad).

McGoldrick’s touch, vision, intelligence and goals are a loss. We’ve added a more industrious option in Washington and are looking to add another striker. We won’t match McGoldrick’s class but we’ll most likely have another body at the sharp end of the pitch working hard and getting on the end of chances.
It’s really not the disaster you seem repeatedly intent to profess.

Yeah, that’s all perfectly true but why aren’t we signing expensive forwards with money we haven’t got? Just can’t understand it myself😎

I got a load of abuse for pointing this out. It appears our budget for this year is the same and probably less than last year.

It is what it is and we will be still very competitive, but it feels more austere than the talk of a couple of months ago.