Summer Transfer Suggestion Thread 2023

18 hours ago, deanoakaram4life said:

Uche Ikpeazu is a left field option. Left Middlesbrough for Turkey and hasn’t set the world to light. Big powerful CF who shone in Wycombe’s promotion team.

Been out with a 'torn knee ligament' since February.

He wasn't in Wycombe's promotion team, but was part of their relegated Championship squad which played the most turgid, ugliest anti-football you're ever likely to see. 6 goals and 4 assists.

With one exception (2017/18 in League Two) no team he's been at has ever deemed it worth him playing over 50% of league minutes available - that speaks (when it's across multiple seasons) for a player who either has lots of niggles or doesn't have enough to their game to warrant playing them any more regularly.

That said, his goal/assist to minutes ratios are actually very good (a goal every 306 mins / 3.4 games & an assist every 474 mins / 5.3 games).

Basically if you want some big ugly lump to smash it upfield to in the hope of him scoring a few headers / getting the odd assist, sure, go for it, but he's probably not going to provide anything more than being a physical presence.

HOOF.JPG.efaa6ef4ef88476311eb6cbed0e337cd.JPG

Edited by Kokosnuss

1 minute ago, Kokosnuss said:

Been out with a 'torn knee ligament' since February.

He wasn't in Wycombe's promotion team, but was part of their relegated Championship squad which played the most turgid, ugliest anti-football you're ever likely to see. 6 goals and 4 assists.

With one exception (2017/18 in League Two) no team he's been at has ever deemed it worth him playing over 50% of league minutes available - that speaks (when it's across multiple seasons) for a player who either has lots of niggles or doesn't have enough to their game to warrant playing them any more regularly.

That said, his goal/assist to minutes ratios are actually very good (a goal every 306 mins / 3.4 games & an assist every 474 mins / 5.3 games).

Basically if you want some big ugly lump to smash it upfield to in the hope of him scoring a few headers / getting the odd assist, sure, go for it, but he's probably not going to provide anything more than being a physical presence.

HOOF.JPG.efaa6ef4ef88476311eb6cbed0e337cd.JPG

Yeah, he’s one of those that gives centre halves an absolute nightmare (I remember him bullying Curtis Davies) without really being a big goal threat.

There’s a danger, if we keep our current midfield and add a non-goalscoring CF, that all the pressure goes onto the other forward, as happened with McGoldrick last year.

1 hour ago, Nuwtfly said:

Already been suggested on here by others, but surely Sam Smith (Cambridge) is worth a punt?

Top scorer last season with 14 goals. Right age. Free agent. We need forwards.

Would much rather us take a gamble on him than pay a fee for, say, Conor Washington.

He seems to have flitted between being used as winger (mainly RW) and a CF but across the last 4 seasons (2x League Two, 2x League One) has only managed 7 assists in almost 119 games worth of minutes. He's scored 39 (league) goals in that time but his shots-to-goals ratio has been 8.29 (unimpressive) - 10.75 (piss poor) - 5.34 (very good) - 10.08 (very poor). For reference Collins was at 7.36 & McGoldrick 5.32 last season.

....of course it depends a lot on the type of chances that brought about those shots, but I'm envisaging a player who either misses a boat load of a chances, or one with a lack of awareness or interest in the positions of his teammates who has a habit of shooting when he should be passing.

I could be completely wrong, and the 5.34 season (albeit an outlier) is promising - get that player and watch the goals fly in.

I guess it depends what his overall game is like, and tbh I know nothing about that and I haven't looked into.

Edited by Kokosnuss

Just now, Kokosnuss said:

He seems to have flitted between being used as a CF but across the last 4 seasons (2x League Two, 1x League One) has only managed 7 assists in almost 119 games worth of minutes. He's scored 39 (league) goals in that time but his shots-to-goals ratio has been 8.29 (unimpressive) - 10.75 (piss poor) - 5.34 (very good) - 10.08 (very poor). For reference Collins was at 7.36 & McGoldrick 5.32 last season.

....of course it depends a lot on the type of chances that brought about those shots, but I'm envisaging a player who either misses a boat load of a chances, or one with a lack of awareness or interest in the positions of his teammates who has a habit of shooting when he should be passing.

I could be completely wrong, and the 5.34 season (albeit an outlier) is promising - get that player and watch the goals fly in.

So I guess it depends what his overall game is like, and tbh I haven't looked into that.

I’ll be honest, a lot of these stats go straight over my head a lot of the time as the one thing numbers can’t really predict is how well he would team under a new manager and with a different set of players. He seems to a fair few of the boxes we seem to be looking for though and, as I said previously, wouldn’t demand a fee!

I suspect if we don’t pick him up another side in our division, with playoff ambitions, probably will!

I just know we came up against SO many teams last season where the wingers/strikers were absolutely shocking, regularly fluffing the opportunity to take advantage of us because they had no composure in the final third.

Most either played a pass about 7-10 yards away from the intended target (even when under no pressure, with the receiver stood in the open) or blazed it over the bar from 35-30 yards the second they caught sight of goal.

My memory of specific players is rubbish, so whenever someone suggests signing an attacking player from a bottom half League One club I get a vague flashback to one of these moments, and cross my fingers that doesn't turn out to be the player suggested!

47 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

I’ll be honest, a lot of these stats go straight over my head a lot of the time as the one thing numbers can’t really predict is how well he would team under a new manager and with a different set of players. He seems to a fair few of the boxes we seem to be looking for though and, as I said previously, wouldn’t demand a fee!

I suspect if we don’t pick him up another side in our division, with playoff ambitions, probably will!

I think shots-to-goals is one of the easier ones to digest though? It's a more accurate measure than just stating a number of goals and I also think it's one of those that is impacted less by managerial changes, tactics, league standing etc.

It won't show you the quality of chances scored / missed, but typically you'd think / hope that players are taking shots when they think there's a realistic chance they might score, and not mainly speculative pot-shots on the off-chance one flies in.

When you look at Vydra's career, he's not always scored many goals in a season, he's sometimes been played wide... but no matter what, his shots to goals ratio has always been good. I don't think I'll see a finisher as good as him at Derby again for a very long time - in the Rowett season he scored 21 goals from 75 shots (3.57 stg).  It was ridiculous.

An average of 10 shots per goal implies that there may have been times during a season where a striker has gone 20-30+ shots between the goals they've scored, maybe even more, which you really don't want from a CF!  That sort of ratio shows a player who will go on long stretches of games without scoring.

Last season Smith had a spell of 14 league games without a goal earlier in the season (September to December) with another 12 game goalless run between late January and March. He only scored in 11 of his 45 league appearances. We can excuse that by saying he wasn't always playing as a CF, but then what about the lack of assists?

I'm not writing him off, but clinical players tend to be clinical players tend to be clinical players. Just as cynical fans tend to be cynical fans tend to be cynical fans! 😁

Edited by Kokosnuss

5 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

Already been suggested on here by others, but surely Sam Smith (Cambridge) is worth a punt?

Top scorer last season with 14 goals. Right age. Free agent. We need forwards.

Would much rather us take a gamble on him than pay a fee for, say, Conor Washington.

14 goals is only 3 more than Collins, who gets heaps of abuse 

Suggestions on a free 

Bradley Dack

Wes Harding 

Sonny Bradley 

Dennis Adeniran

Sam Smith 

darnel fisher 

Aden flint

Joel Latibeaudiere

sean Clare 

regan Poole 

lewis wing 

fees

brannagan

may

bonis

langstaff

clarke Harris 

washington

ladapo

loans

rak Saki 

James mcattee 

liam delap

callum Doyle 

Lewis hall 

D sion Bernard 

Norton cuffy 

kaide gordon

nigel lonjwiik

finn azzaz

4 minutes ago, simmoram1995 said:

Suggestions on a free 

Bradley Dack

Wes Harding 

Sonny Bradley 

Dennis Adeniran

Sam Smith 

darnel fisher 

Aden flint

Joel Latibeaudiere

sean Clare 

regan Poole 

lewis wing 

fees

brannagan

may

bonis

langstaff

clarke Harris 

washington

ladapo

loans

rak Saki 

James mcattee 

liam delap

callum Doyle 

Lewis hall 

D sion Bernard 

Norton cuffy 

kaide gordon

nigel lonjwiik

finn azzaz

Would take Finn Azzaz in a heartbeat at no 10

4 minutes ago, deanoakaram4life said:

Would take Finn Azzaz in a heartbeat at no 10

Out if they ones I found 

mcatee city midfielder scored 16 and assisted 26 in u23 , Dutch defender at wolves  and Rak Saki from palace good numbers for charlton.

if I was derby I’d spend money on good loan fees