Summer Transfer Suggestion Thread 2023

It does appear that outside the prem , in this country there’s no significant transfer dealings besides say Coventry with their money from Gokeres. I’m happy with a business so far ideally I’d like us to now just focus on loans or 6 month frees then we can reassess in January. Do you reckon we might hold back some of the budget for January period? 

1 hour ago, Big Trav said:

I think it’s pretty simple. The striker market this summer especially is through the roof.

Which is probably what Rhodes and his agent are playing on. He knows he’s near the end of his career, that there are few strikers with his reputation and scoring feats about or available and he’s trying to maximise the deal. I’ve no problem with that but if he’s doing it having agreed a deal - and a medical suggests so -I hope Warne calls his bluff.

4 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

Which is probably what Rhodes and his agent are playing on. He knows he’s near the end of his career, that there are few strikers with his reputation and scoring feats about or available and he’s trying to maximise the deal. I’ve no problem with that but if he’s doing it having agreed a deal - and a medical suggests so -I hope Warne calls his bluff.

Why do I have a feeling Rhodes goes to Wrexham after Mullen’s injury 

1 minute ago, ilkleyram said:

If Rhodes has pulled this stroke, I would imagine that PW would be reluctant to sign him now. Surely that's not the kind of person that he wants in his squad and nor would I, on principle.

3 minutes ago, ram59 said:

If Rhodes has pulled this stroke, I would imagine that PW would be reluctant to sign him now. Surely that's not the kind of person that he wants in his squad and nor would I, on principle.

I should hope PW stating “people lie in football” openly on RD would be confirmation that his interest in Rhodes is over!

3 hours ago, simmoram1995 said:

Talking to someone connected with the club today briefly spoke about transfers apparently Warne has spoken to 8 players from 4 clubs + free agents. Originally he was looking at signing three players but has approached clowes to discuss the possibility of upto 5 coming in. No names besides a strong indication one coming in is sharp, waggy is 50:50 might sign him to booster the over age players in u23s and the first team. Positions spoken about are as follows LWB but Warne is struggling with that and might go for a LCB /LB , A 10 that looks to be a prem loan , two strikers - one older poacher type currently looking at Sharp , waggy , assombolonga and wickham the other is a young championship player and finally it appears another CM likely more of an older head. The player Warne is frustrated about was Rhodes apparently had agreed a 1 year deal with an optional extension but  no showed a medical  Saturday morning his agent came back saying he wanted more money  plus an 18 month deal. My source is in the media department 

Assombolonga you say

Gordon Ramsay Food GIF by Masterchef

Does anyone else think strengthening the central midfield is just as/if not more important than the strikers. We have a 50+ game season and we have Smith, Hourihane and Bird as our midfield. Sibley isn't really a central midfielder and Robinson is just a kid. That trio won't last without injury or at full capacity for that amount of games. 

2 minutes ago, jimbobram said:

Does anyone else think strengthening the central midfield is just as/if not more important than the strikers. We have a 50+ game season and we have Smith, Hourihane and Bird as our midfield. Sibley isn't really a central midfielder and Robinson is just a kid. That trio won't last without injury or at full capacity for that amount of games. 

I think adding a central midfielder is more important than adding a “10”, which was one of the positions Warne wanted. I think another striker, a central midfielder, and either a backup lwb or another cb to enable Fozzy to cover lwb without leaving us short at cb is what I’d want to see. So those 3 as a minimum, ideally then with another striker, giving us a squad of about 24 senior pros with a handful of the u21s able to step up for pizza cup games and emergency cover. 

7 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I think adding a central midfielder is more important than adding a “10”, which was one of the positions Warne wanted. I think another striker, a central midfielder, and either a backup lwb or another cb to enable Fozzy to cover lwb without leaving us short at cb is what I’d want to see. So those 3 as a minimum, ideally then with another striker, giving us a squad of about 24 senior pros with a handful of the u21s able to step up for pizza cup games and emergency cover. 

I disagree. I think he likely sees the 10 as someone starting games. A central midfielder likely wouldn’t. Therefore, inherently more important. 

6 minutes ago, Srg said:

I disagree. I think he likely sees the 10 as someone starting games. A central midfielder likely wouldn’t. Therefore, inherently more important. 

All of a matter of opinions. The way I see it with our current options is if we sign a 10 as a starter where does that leave Bird, Sibley, NML and Barkhuizen? The pre-season experiment of Bird playing more advanced is promising and something I’ve wanted to see for a while. If we sign a 10 does Bird play deeper with Hourihane and we drop Smith? 
In a 3-4-2-1 I think 2 of Bird/Sibley/NML/Barkhuizen and perhaps Washington can do a decent job. In a 3-4-1-2/3-5-2 Bird or Sibley can play as the “10” behind Washington/NML/NEW and Collins.
I personally think there are some good options within the squad who almost become spare parts if we sign another 10. 

3 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

All of a matter of opinions. The way I see it with our current options is if we sign a 10 as a starter where does that leave Bird, Sibley, NML and Barkhuizen? The pre-season experiment of Bird playing more advanced is promising and something I’ve wanted to see for a while. If we sign a 10 does Bird play deeper with Hourihane and we drop Smith? 
In a 3-4-2-1 I think 2 of Bird/Sibley/NML/Barkhuizen and perhaps Washington can do a decent job. In a 3-4-1-2/3-5-2 Bird or Sibley can play as the “10” behind Washington/NML/NEW and Collins.
I personally think there are some good options within the squad who almost become spare parts if we sign another 10. 

The only natural 10 you listed is Sibley and he’s not played there in forever and hasn’t played a minute of preseason. 

5 minutes ago, Srg said:

The only natural 10 you listed is Sibley and he’s not played there in forever and hasn’t played a minute of preseason. 

I know that. Bird has shown promise there in the last couple of games. NML has been used as one of the two behind a central striker at the end of last season and been used centrally in pre-season. Barkhuizen has attributes that suggest he could play the role. And Sibley is a natural 10 who many believe was a rare talent coming through so could Warne finally be the man to back him in that role this season, as he started to at the end of last season. I’d rather see Sibley finally backed as our 10 than another signing blocking his path and would therefore prefer a squad option at cm to be signed. I just think there are viable options within the squad to play as a 10 including Sibley and Bird, not saying I’m correct just sharing my view.

9 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I know that. Bird has shown promise there in the last couple of games. NML has been used as one of the two behind a central striker at the end of last season and been used centrally in pre-season. Barkhuizen has attributes that suggest he could play the role. And Sibley is a natural 10 who many believe was a rare talent coming through so could Warne finally be the man to back him in that role this season, as he started to at the end of last season. I’d rather see Sibley finally backed as our 10 than another signing blocking his path and would therefore prefer a squad option at cm to be signed. I just think there are viable options within the squad to play as a 10 including Sibley and Bird, not saying I’m correct just sharing my view.

Yes, except in front of goal he becomes Jack Douglas!

IMG_1481.gif

Edited by Anag Ram
Error

CCFC Season ticket holder/ Follow Rams from a distance having been born Derby.  

Waghorn…Save your money.  He’s not going to do anything to justify paying his wages.

Godden….Sky Blues need to keep him.  If he moves to you, don’t expect a hatful of goals, but a player who creates and takes players away from your main striker.  As I say, he should remain in Coventry as he’s a grafter.