Womens World Cup

FindernRam

Not sure this counts as football even.

Infantino is bemoaning that European Broadcasters are not wanting to pay huge money to cover the July World Cup.

Why would they! Watching League one level, (maybe low level Championship) games in the middle of the night. Waste of Licence money, and certainly not worth Sky or BT spending on it.

Infantino is just using brinksmanship to get better value for his product. In the current social climate, publicly shaming companies by alleging they don't value women's sport highly enough is an effective tactic. I guarantee the BBC will fold like a pack of cards.

The EFL should try and use similar methods to sell their product 😂. He is just trying to get them (FIFA) more money, but at the same time broadcasters still need to make a profit. The womens world cup won't bring anywhere near the same amount of cash as the mens does, so broadcasters aren't going to put big bids in. Not really much of a surprise.

I'd rather stay up in the night to watch women play football than park myself in my armchair to watch apparent superstars roll around in the grass pretending to be hurt. 

I'll do neither due to the timezone.

But some watch football for football and I don't find much quality in awful acting and the ball not being in play for an hour. 

Screw the men's game. Corrupt pile of steaming turd. Ego driven money-go-round. 

There's plenty of enjoyment to be had in lower quality football. There's very little enjoyment in the big money stuff. Takes itself way too serious. That's before it starts it's grand political statements about fair play, anti racism, homophobia, respect etc with a straight face. 

5 hours ago, FindernRam said:

Not sure this counts as football even.

Infantino is bemoaning that European Broadcasters are not wanting to pay huge money to cover the July World Cup.

Why would they! Watching League one level, (maybe low level Championship) games in the middle of the night. Waste of Licence money, and certainly not worth Sky or BT spending on it.

League One level?

Women’s football is nowhere near as good as that. It’s amateur football.

But it’s entertaining for sure. 

2 hours ago, Alpha said:

I'd rather stay up in the night to watch women play football than park myself in my armchair to watch apparent superstars roll around in the grass pretending to be hurt. 

I'll do neither due to the timezone.

And here lies the issue, Infantino/FIFA were told when New Zealand and Australia were given the WC that the time difference for European countries would be an issue, Mind you FIFA were told that hosting a WC in Qatar would also be an issue, But then giving large brown envelopes for FIFAs stationary department helped the cause.

USA and The ASIA market are happy to cough up, ITV and the Beeb will both capitulate, But ITV will not be getting the advertising they would hope for.  

3 hours ago, Alpha said:

you've missed some brilliant football in the last few weeks, and even beyond that by painting every footballer with the same brush. Quite surprisingly ignorant for you to be honest, I'm surprised. It's like when a non-football person brands all football fans as lager louts and hooligans, it's a lazy label and certainly whilst there are some disgracefully-behaved players at the top level, there's definitely not enough to ruin the game in my opinion and in recent weeks, I've witnessed some great PL games.

Not sure if I've got the wrong end of the stick of your post, apologies if I have.

47 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

you've missed some brilliant football in the last few weeks, and even beyond that by painting every footballer with the same brush. Quite surprisingly ignorant for you to be honest, I'm surprised. It's like when a non-football person brands all football fans as lager louts and hooligans, it's a lazy label and certainly whilst there are some disgracefully-behaved players at the top level, there's definitely not enough to ruin the game in my opinion and in recent weeks, I've witnessed some great PL games.

Not sure if I've got the wrong end of the stick of your post, apologies if I have.

I think I'll have to accept some criticism and stick by my word on this one mate. 

I'm totally fed up of sticking football on or being somewhere where football is on and having the game stopped every minute because of a dive, a fake injury or other such "gamesmanship"/cheating. 

I can stick with it until that nonsense starts because I love the game. But that stuff starts and disrupts the game constantly. In comparison to when I've watched women's stuff and the ball can be in play for a long time. 

I know what you're saying about people who don't like football moaning. I used to hate it when my step Dad used to say they're all pathetic rolling on the floor. Maybe I'm wrong but now it's much more prominent and even actually a part of the game that's developed as a skill. 

It's got fancy names like "dark arts" and "gamesmanship". And countries that used to be famed for play acting don't stand out anymore. The stereotypical rolly poly Italian is no different from your hard English midfielder. 

I get so angry watching somebody who's been lightly brushed on the ear keep checking their nose for blood that I feel the urge to find them and give em an actual whack on the nose to satisfy both them and me. 

I used to think Sergio Busquets was one of the most pathetic blokes in the game. Now he looks like Roy Keane. 

There is a noticeable difference between the men's game and women's. One may have superior quality when the ball is actually in play. But the other shows far more respect, fairness and enjoyment on the whole. 

I know the women's game has its moments too. You get more football in your football matches and less terrible acting. 

Isn't it inevitable that the gamesmanship side of it will come into the women's game as the money increases?.

You'd like to think that the relative lack of it to date would feed into the men's game but I'm not holding my breath on that.

I don't get this weird idea that the quality/skill level dictates the entertainment value of a football match

I've watched some of the most memorable games of my life at non-league level, and we're all Derby fans - still obsessing over the team we love as we hack it out in League One

Maybe it's just me but I like watching football. Full stop. I'll watch games on the park on a sunday morning, I'll watch whatever football is on TV, I'll even watch eSports football 

The Lionesses winning the Euros was a highlight of my football-watching career

I suspect most of those who say they don't like women's football, don't have a problem with the football part

The women's game is growing in popularity, however it's still a long way off being able to compete with the men's game financially so not sure why Infantino is even trying to compare the two.

Where exactly is this money going if the bids are improved and should this have not been sorted a while back, 2 months before the tournament starts seems a little late.

Infantino needs to realise that everything earns it's market value. Women's football is earning it's market value atm and will continue to do so, but only by being broadcast to all.

If we're not allowed to watch this world cup, women's football won't receive the publicity in needs, in order to grow naturally.

On 04/05/2023 at 12:44, Stive Pesley said:

I don't get this weird idea that the quality/skill level dictates the entertainment value of a football match

I've watched some of the most memorable games of my life at non-league level, and we're all Derby fans - still obsessing over the team we love as we hack it out in League One

Maybe it's just me but I like watching football. Full stop. I'll watch games on the park on a sunday morning, I'll watch whatever football is on TV, I'll even watch eSports football 

The Lionesses winning the Euros was a highlight of my football-watching career

I suspect most of those who say they don't like women's football, don't have a problem with the football part

I agree with most of this...I watch kids football, Sunday AM, local league...but I had a minor interest at best in the Lionesses.

Like a local amateur team going up to the 12th tier or whatever.  Holds passing interest but nothing like watching England or Derby playing Men's football. Not so much about the quality it's about the history, the opposition, the passion, the rivalry...its a totally different experience. 

On 05/05/2023 at 08:54, ram59 said:

Infantino needs to realise that everything earns it's market value. Women's football is earning it's market value atm and will continue to do so, but only by being broadcast to all.

If we're not allowed to watch this world cup, women's football won't receive the publicity in needs, in order to grow naturally.

Women’s football needs to pay its dues. It expects a fast track to where men’s football is, riding in those cost rails, but men’s football had to spend decades on BBC with players barely earning £100 a week before it grew in global popularity and became the monster it is today. 

I had a similar conversation with my wife when we first got married. We got a joint mobile phone contract. But I’m 4 years older, so I’d paid my dues with crappy phones and had built up over about 7 years, til I was able to get a good phone. She’d never had a contract. So she was annoyed when I got her a slightly crappier phone than mine on the contract. I didn’t pay any more for mine though, I just had a better phone to trade in. I’d spent longer building that credit. Her first car was a really nice car that we shared, whereas I had to work my way through a bunch of bangers to get to a position where I could finish eating a nice car for us.

Eventually we just aligned everything, and now we have the same phone, car etc. the same will happen with women’s football. They will get a fast track to considerable more riches than what a lot of male footballers in the early days got. But the point is, they do have to pay some dues, build the popularity on channels where everyone can see them, before hiding themselves behind a pay wall. 

36 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

I'm aware of the fact women's football has been around a long time and has had good attendances etc...but like the Ashbourne/UppersDowners/Shrove Tues match its not something that resonates with me at all. There is no emotional connection to its past and I couldn't tell you who won, who was good, who usually beats who. If anything even the modern history of the US Women's team being the ones to beat just makes me less interested.

I imagine the next generation or two may feel very different though