Free agents in the summer

B4ev6is

12 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

CB - Nathan Smith (Port Vale)

RWB - Mitch Clark (Accrington)

LW - Conor McAleny (Salford), Armstrong Oko-Flex (West Ham)

CF - Will Keane (Wigan), Ryan Hardie (Plymouth), Niall Ennis (Plymouth)

Will Keane would be a very good signing, can’t help but think he may stay in the championship though.

From the Town squad, we've got a lot of peak-age players of contract who may be of interest, especially if Warne reverts back to his favoured 3-5-2 once he's had a full summer window to build a team in his image. 

I think Kane Vincent-Young (27) will be a great pickup for somebody at this level, an attacking fullback who can play either side. He started like a train when he joined but then spent a year out injured during Covid. He's been dependable whenever he's played since and would probably be first choice for two-thirds of teams in this league but he's struggled to get a look in recently since Harry Clarke arrived. The only concern is that he could lack the physicality Warne would like because he isn't particularly good in the air but is really good at bombing up and down the flanks and surprisingly good at shooting for a defender. 

Matt Penney (25) is another fullback and perfectly capable as squad filler, especially in a formation where he doesn't need to defend very often - he played left back for us but spent much of his time at Sheffield Wednesday on the left wing. He's on loan at Charlton and isn't pulling up any trees but excelled at Motherwell in the Scottish Premiership during the first half of the season. 

Joe Pigott (29) is on loan at Pompey and still has a year left on his deal but we'd be willing to let him go on a free. His spell last year was a bit of a disaster but we never played to his strengths. He's physically imposing but he was played up front by himself and was isolated with nobody to make runs off him and win the flick ons. Warne's system would suit him though; he scored 20 goals playing in a front two for a poor Wimbledon team in 20-21 and 15 in 2018-19 so with a strike partner he'd do well. 

Really interested to see Derby's recruitment this summer again. It's intriguing watch a side with a good budget for the level but very few ways they are able to spend it because of the transfer ban. 

Edited by EFL View

1 minute ago, EFL View said:

From the Town squad, we've got a lot of peak-age players of contract who may be of interest, especially if Warne reverts back to his favoured 3-5-2 once he's had a full summer window to build a team in his image. 

I think Kane Vincent-Young (27) will be a great pickup for somebody at this level, an attacking fullback who can play either side. He started like a train when he joined but then spent a year out injured during Covid. He's been dependable whenever he's played since and would probably be first choice for two-thirds of teams in this league but he's struggled to get a look in recently since Harry Clarke arrived. The only concern is that he could lack the physicality Warne would like because he isn't particularly good in the air but is really good at bombing up and down the flanks and surprisingly good at shooting for a defender. 

Matt Penney (25) is another fullback and perfectly capable as squad filler, especially in a formation where he doesn't need to defend very often - he played left back for us but spent much of his time at Sheffield Wednesday on the left wing. He's on loan at Charlton and isn't pulling up any trees but excelled at Motherwell in the Scottish Premiership during the first half of the season. 

Joe Pigott (29) is on loan at Pompey and still has a year left on his deal but we'd be willing to let him go on a free. His spell last year was a bit of a disaster but we never played to his strengths. He's physically imposing but he was played up front by himself and was isolated with nobody to make runs off him and win the flick ons. Warne's system would suit him though; he scored 20 goals playing in a front two for a poor Wimbledon team in 20-21 and 15 in 2018-19 so with a strike partner he'd do well. 

Really interested to see Derby's recruitment this summer again. It's intriguing watch a side with a lot of money to spend but very few ways they are able to spend it because of the transfer ban. 

Why do you think we have a lot of money to spend.

On 30/03/2023 at 17:48, JustOneBiblicalKazim said:

Few tasty names in there, we’ve gotta be realistic so probably not the likes of Pukki, or Dowell because I’m still getting over his last stint, would definitely take Ashley Barnes for a year if he’d drop to us.

Realistic but ideal targets could be:

- Jay Dasilva

- Connor Wickham

- Tyler Walker

- Liam Kelly (is he the one that scored that absolute beauty against us in a 3-3 at Reading)

- Sam Byram

- Ogbene (probably anyone out of contract who’s played for Warne really)

- Max Power 

Have always thought Ben Osborne’s destined to have some sort of stint here, we love a controversial ex forest player. Some good options in there

Want Max Power purely for the name

On 01/04/2023 at 10:33, Magicman said:

Ryan Hardie of Plymouth looked very good against us . Like to see 2 new strikers, 2 CBs and 2 new wide men in but if knight goes we need another box to box duracel bunny

If cashin goes and fozzys is let go and Davies and Chester we need 

3 cbs 

2 wingbacks 

2 midfielders and 2 strikers 

If we can get him I expect warne to go for ogbene from Rotherham but he will prob stay in championship and if he stays down the league I’d go for branagan from Oxford 

49 minutes ago, Barney1991 said:

If cashin goes and fozzys is let go and Davies and Chester we need 

3 cbs 

2 wingbacks 

2 midfielders and 2 strikers 

If we can get him I expect warne to go for ogbene from Rotherham but he will prob stay in championship and if he stays down the league I’d go for branagan from Oxford 

Just the 9 players then. Why on earth do we need to have 2 more midfielders if Bird, Knight, Hourihane, Sibley and Thompson are still here(they aren't on your list)? However I think that Knight and Bird will go. If I were Warne I'd be happy if somebody came in for Hourihane too. Then we would need 2 or 3 new midfielders  I think we will keep Cashin