Gary Lineker

Day

6 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Yup - I have friends in Loughborough who did the same, their kids have left home so they took in 2 Ukrainians. Govt paid my friends to house them. They were fast-tracked for job interviews at Severn Trent and fully trained up - based on where ST had skills shortages. 

So no one try and tell me the country is full and we can't afford to take in refugees because it's simply not true

Jobs on tap?

1 hour ago, Stive Pesley said:

No - that's just another part of the problem, and another valid reason for people to be unhappy about hotels full of asylum seekers.

The real issue remains that this government have, to all intents and purposes, stopped processing asylum applications - and the language they are using about the situation is deliberately designed to make people think the issue is the asylum seekers themselves. 

It really isn't

Ok process them fast or have amnesty, where do they get housed ? It’s a very long time since we were anywhere near the basic in my view human right that everyone should have a home , there’s people living on the streets, there’s people living in uninhabitable properties and people who can’t even get on the waiting list for an uninhabitable property and it’s not just the fault of successive governments, there plenty of bleeding heart liberals who are up in arms to stop properties being built near them , I’m sure lineker would be amongst them if they put some social housing at the end of his road

16 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Yup - I have friends in Loughborough who did the same, their kids have left home so they took in 2 Ukrainians. Govt paid my friends to house them. They were fast-tracked for job interviews at Severn Trent and fully trained up - based on where ST had skills shortages. 

So no one try and tell me the country is full and we can't afford to take in refugees because it's simply not true

No one tell me there’s not plenty in this country who would love to be fast tracked into good jobs and homes

40 minutes ago, Archied said:

Ok process them fast or have amnesty, where do they get housed ? It’s a very long time since we were anywhere near the basic in my view human right that everyone should have a home , there’s people living on the streets, there’s people living in uninhabitable properties and people who can’t even get on the waiting list for an uninhabitable property and it’s not just the fault of successive governments, there plenty of bleeding heart liberals who are up in arms to stop properties being built near them , I’m sure lineker would be amongst them if they put some social housing at the end of his road

Neither nimbyism nor immigration are the biggest problems in housing provision, it's the government's unwillingness to push through a meaningful social housing plan for homes purely for rent (and yes, previous governments too) and to introduce greater security of tenure and rent control in the private rental sector. A quid-pro-quo in the private rental sector would have made sense, but instead they've introduced regulations that don't go far enough to protect renters and tax disincentives which are driving out responsible landlords  -the worst of both worlds. It's no surprise though - no Housing Minister lasts for more than 6 months and I lose track of how often they diminish the status of the role. No-one gets any time to carry through a meaningful policy to address the problem.

2 hours ago, Archied said:

The hotels thing riles some but the real question is how/ where do we house these people when we have what I will call a housing crisis in this country and have had for a long time , now that’s the REAL issue 

I went for a meal to The Mariners in Rock last week with my sister, her husband and Mrs Badger. It's a pain for parking in the summer, but at this time of year, almost all of the houses close by are empty because they're second homes.I was advised by the restaurant to park on any of the drives and it wouldn't be a problem. So I did and it wasn't.

Maybe this is the way to go, but at a Government level so the money can go back into providing low-cost housing for local people in tourist areas where many can no longer afford to live?

38 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

I went for a meal to The Mariners in Rock last week with my sister, her husband and Mrs Badger. It's a pain for parking in the summer, but at this time of year, almost all of the houses close by are empty because they're second homes.I was advised by the restaurant to park on any of the drives and it wouldn't be a problem. So I did and it wasn't.

Maybe this is the way to go, but at a Government level so the money can go back into providing low-cost housing for local people in tourist areas where many can no longer afford to live?

Wonder if our mr Lineker has just the one home 

15 minutes ago, Turk Thrust said:

I met Mr Lineker a few years ago at a “do”.  Someone muttered “self preening, pompous @#%*” as he walked away. I assumed he was talking about GL and not me. But just about sums GL up 

Great story.

Have you considered a career answering questions on Quora?

You'd be most excellent at it. 

48 minutes ago, sage said:

OMFG, it's almost like she knows what she's talking about!

At the 6.20 mark, she asks people to challenge her.

Are you up for it @G STAR RAM?

There'd be no texting other members of this board under the table if you get stuck though. That wouldn't be fair, she's an old lady who wasn't even born for the bits where she wasn't born so how could she know anything?

1 minute ago, Bob The Badger said:

Great story.

There'd be no texting other members of this board under the table if you get stuck though. That wouldn't be fair, she's an old lady who wasn't even born for the bits where she wasn't born so how could she know anything?

Quora? What’s that? Not sure why I’d be good at answering questions on it whatever it is. 

21 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Great story.

Have you even watched it?

She didnt even know if she was Belgian or Polish.

Didn't really give any comparisons of language used in 1930s Germany and current day Britain.

Said some knowledgeable things but if you're honestly relying on that interview as evidence that what Gary Lineker said was correct, I'm afraid you are a bit desperate. 

What about the other Jew that had rung up to disagree with what Lineker said? Do we just dismiss that because it doesn't suit your agenda?

11 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Have you even watched it?

She didnt even know if she was Belgian or Polish.

Didn't really give any comparisons of language used in 1930s Germany and current day Britain.

Said some knowledgeable things but if you're honestly relying on that interview as evidence that what Gary Lineker said was correct, I'm afraid you are a bit desperate. 

What about the other Jew that had rung up to disagree with what Lineker said? Do we just dismiss that because it doesn't suit your agenda?

You misunderstand mate.

I was using that interview to show how ridiculous it was for you to suggest that she was no more likely to have an understanding of the holocaust than somebody on a DCFC message board.

The Queen gave her an MBE for services to holocaust education.

That's quite good you know.

It's like getting a GCSE in woodwork.

And let's face it, you'd not argue with a man who says you really need a dovetail joint for your bookcase and not the butt joint you had planned if he had a woodwork GCSE, would you?

Of course not, it would be lunacy.

3 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

You misunderstand mate.

I was using that interview to show how ridiculous it was for you to suggest that she was no more likely to have an understanding of the holocaust than somebody on a DCFC message board.

The Queen gave her an MBE for services to holocaust education.

That's quite good you know.

It's like getting a GCSE in woodwork.

And let's face it, you'd not argue with a man who says you really need a dovetail joint for your bookcase and not the butt joint you had planned if he had a woodwork GCSE, would you?

Of course not, it would be lunacy.

The Queen also gave a knighthood to Jimmy Saville (thats quite good too you know), so wouldn't rely too much on the honours system to back your point up.

Found it quite interesting when she was asked about comparisons and she said she had loads of examples but didn't think there was time to give them.

You'd think if you was going on radio to talk about the comparisons there may be some time to discuss them?

Also not sure where I said 'that she was no more likely to have an understanding of the holocaust than somebody on a DCFC message board.', perhaps you could refer me back to that so I can have a rethink on what I said. Cheers.

1 hour ago, Turk Thrust said:

I met Mr Lineker a few years ago at a “do”.  Someone muttered “self preening, pompous @#%*” as he walked away. I assumed he was talking about GL and not me. But just about sums GL up 

Reckon it was definitely you he was talking about.

Edited by Blondest Goat

15 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Open question as I cba to trawl through pages and pages of the same stuff - so what's actually changed between the BBC removing Lineker and him being reinstated?

The BBC said last week that GL was stepping back from MoTD, Today the BBC said GL will be presenting MoTD. There are 2 different statements that's what the change is ?