Plymouth Argyle Game

SK47

Just to add some more insight into Plymouth for those travelling.

I would say set off early so you arrive with plenty of time and have a half day to explore a little.

Three areas of interest if you want a full day out are the Hoe, the Barbican, and Royal William Yard. Bear in mind none of these spots are near the stadium, but they are a bit more scenic than Mutley Plain.

If you go to the Hoe, there is a nice pub called The Waterfront with a terrace and sea views. There are other places on the Hoe but this is my favourite.

If you go to the Barbican, there are some highly rated fish and chip shops such as Harbourside and many places to eat and drink with a view of Sutton Harbour.

One favourite spot of mine is Alfresco, a food truck on the Barbican run by Italian locals who serve great hot chocolate and coffee. It’s nice to grab a hot drink and walk along the waterfront.

If you go to Royal William Yard, it’s again out of the centre but there are many chain bars and restaurants, many of which have outdoor seating. It’s also in a beautiful setting - right on the water and a repurposed naval base.

If you want to enjoy a bit of nature, you can take the Cremyll ferry to Mount Edgcumbe or stop off at Saltram. A beach that is fairly central to Plymouth is Bovisand Beach.

Any questions or recommendations needed, please ask away. 

45 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

I would say set off early so you arrive with plenty of time and have a half day to explore a little.

Three areas of interest if you want a full day out are the Hoe, the Barbican, and Royal William Yard. Bear in mind none of these spots are near the stadium, but they are a bit more scenic than Mutley Plain.

If you go to the Hoe, there is a nice pub called The Waterfront with a terrace and sea views. There are other places on the Hoe but this is my favourite.

If you go to the Barbican, there are some highly rated fish and chip shops such as Harbourside and many places to eat and drink with a view of Sutton Harbour.

One favourite spot of mine is Alfresco, a food truck on the Barbican run by Italian locals who serve great hot chocolate and coffee. It’s nice to grab a hot drink and walk along the waterfront.

If you go to Royal William Yard, it’s again out of the centre but there are many chain bars and restaurants, many of which have outdoor seating. It’s also in a beautiful setting - right on the water and a repurposed naval base.

If you want to enjoy a bit of nature, you can take the Cremyll ferry to Mount Edgcumbe or stop off at Saltram. A beach that is fairly central to Plymouth is Bovisand Beach.

How much should I budget for a full day out in the Hoe, is it extra for kissing etc?

1 hour ago, Jourdan said:

Is the £ still legal tender down there ?

1 hour ago, Jourdan said:

If you are hungry, don't eat at the Waterfront (small portions compared with other pubs). Royal William Yard is very upmarket so don't expect normal prices, having stated that though it's good quality food around the Royal William Yard. I would'nt expect the average football fan to spend some of their day at Mount Edgcumbe or Bovisands beach in early March. My suggestions were purely based on fans not having lots of hours on their side prior to getting to the match. But if you have time, yes visit the Barbican and my recommended Pubs to visit would be the Dolphin Hotel (They do not do food but allow you to bring your takeaways in), Gog & Magog (Wetherspoons), Navy Inn, Ship Inn and just off the Barbican, The Minerva (reputed to be Plymouth's oldest pub).

19 hours ago, Zag zig said:

@Jourdan or @plymouthram any hotels nearby you would recommend?

There is no hotels near the ground, best bet is Premier Inn's normally the cheapest, there is 3 in Plymouth all similar distance to the stadium. There is 5 or 6 Guest houses on Alma Road, which is easy walking distance to both railway station and the Stadium. You are looking at £80+ per night. Just google Guest houses, Alma Road, Plymouth for a list.

1 hour ago, B4ev6is said:

I am hoping to be at plymonth about 4:30 to 5ish as alfton bus goes at 11:30 in the morning.

Go to Mutley Plain then, kick off not until 8pm, giving you lots of time to get food and drink. If the coach drops you off at the ground in the big carpark alongside of Outland Road, walk towards the stadium where the statue of Jack Leslie is sited. Then go down the tree lined path which takes you past the stadium, at the end of the park turn right into Trelawney road, stay on this road until you come to a T junction, turn left. Within 5 minutes this will bring you out onto Mutley Plain. If you fancy Fish and Chips you will see Perillas on the right hand side prior to entering Mutley Plain.

Photo of Jack Leslie statue, go to the left of this for the path past the stadium through the park.

image.png.6420f24934a6024e41f6fa22fb1d6de7.png

You have to walk past this Statue to get to the away end (Barn Park).