Derby Reserves

Normanton Lad

The reserve team set up today is all about bringing the youngster through rather than keeping experienced but aging players on the books.

Those of us who watched the reserves in the 1960s and 1970s got the chance to see some famous names in reserve games.

The other day someone posted on a thread that I can’t find now that his cousin – Peter Stone-  had been a reserve player for Derby in the 1960s. I had forgotten Stone but I can see from the records that I must have seen him play many times. It just shows how fallible our memories are. The reserve players I remember are the ones who stayed in the game usually by moving to a smaller club, e.g. Barry Butlin, Cork, Boyer, etc. I followed their careers and it always pleased me to see them doing well elsewhere. I don’t know why but I followed Mick Jones’s career quite closely and I was delighted when he got the job as manager of Telford and disappointed when they went bust shorty after. He ended up with better jobs so it wasn’t such a big thing for him. A few years ago he caused a bit of a controversy when he told a reporter that Derby was no longer the place he remembered from his days as a reserve player. After a long walk around the city he said it had gone a long way downhill and he wasn’t wrong.

We all wish that we had played at least one game in the league. I even envy reserve players who never got a first team game. In the reserves they would have played against some top players and they can always say to their grandchildren that they played against this or that famous player. I can see from the records that Stone played against Stan Bowles when Stan was playing for Man City reserves. I can’t remember anything about that game except that Ralph Brand was also playing for City. I’ve always followed Scottish football and it was an exciting thing for me to see Brand play live. I even went to a Forest game just to see Jim Baxter play. Perhaps Stone can tell his descendants, if he has any, that he had Bowles and Brand in his pocket. I don’t know if he did or not. 

One of my favourite reserve games was against Bury in 1975 or 1976. Derby had Alan Hinton, Leighton James and Roger Davies up front. I think Derby beat them 8-0.

Has anyone got any memories of famous players in reserve games?

Edited by Normanton Lad

4 minutes ago, Normanton Lad said:

The reserve team set up today is all about bringing the youngster through rather than keeping experienced but aging players on the books.

Those of us who watched the reserves in the 1960s and 1970s got the chance to see some famous names in reserve games.

The other day someone posted on a thread that I can’t find now that his cousin – Peter Stone-  had been a reserve player for Derby in the 1960s. I had forgotten Stone but I can see from the records that I must have seen him play many times. It just shows how fallible our memories are. The reserve players I remember are the ones who stayed in the game usually by moving to a smaller club, e.g. Barry Butlin, Cork, Boyer, etc. I followed their careers and it always pleased me to see them doing well elsewhere. I don’t know why but I followed Mick Jones’s career quite closely and I was delighted when he got the job as manager of Telford and disappointed when they went bust shorty after. He ended up with better jobs so it wasn’t such a big thing for him. A few years ago he caused a bit of a controversy when he told a reporter that Derby was no longer the place he remembered from his days as a reserve player. After a long walk around the city he said it had gone a long way downhill and he wasn’t wrong.

We all wish that we had played at least one game in the league. I even envy reserve players who never got a first team game. In the reserves they would have played against some top players and they can always say to their grandchildren that they played against this or that famous player. I can see from the records that Stone played against Stan Bowles when Stan was playing for Man City reserves. I can’t remember anything about that game except that Ralph Brand was also playing for City. I’ve always followed Scottish football and it was an exciting thing for me to see Brand play live. I even went to a Forest game just to see Jim Baxter play. Perhaps Stone can tell his descendants, if he has any, that he had Bowles and Brand in his pocket. I don’t know if he did or not. 

One of my favourite reserve games was against Bury in 1975 or 1976. Derby had Alan Hinton, Leighton James and Roger Davies up front. I think Derby beat them 8-0.

Peter Stone is related to @Eddie

28 minutes ago, Normanton Lad said:

I remember seeing derby reseves 97 to 98 season 98 to 99 season 99 to 2000 season. See is win premier reseves league I think we won it twice at old bbg stadium even then had magical feeling to it I think only had old rotate stand but sadly it was fooling to bits.

I was at the game where we had 10k + think it might have been Liverpool back in the 70s, The year we won the Central League.

I had 2 older school friends who played for the reserves, Andy Rowland from Chadd and was at Olive Eden school and scored the winner for Swindon against Arsenal 3-2 FA cup, Ray Lewis again from Chadd and Olive Eden only 1 maybe 2 games but he  did get to play against some of Man Untds big names...I think we lost 2-1 not to sure.

Not Derby related but it still makes me smile when I think about it.

Wednesday used to play their reserve games at Rotherham's Millmoor and after a lengthy lay-off word got round that Chris Waddle would be playing at least some of the game ( cannot remember against who ) for the reserves.

The stands that were open were virtually sold out and I went with some of my Wednesday mates. Chris played the first half and then was subbed at half time.

About 90% of the crowd went home at half time. He was such a hero at Hillsborough.

My first memory of the reserves was standing on the ossie end terrace in the early seventies watching them on a Saturday afternoon when the first team would have been playing away at the same time. The half time scores were relaid to us via the letters that the stewards would put up between the ley stand and ossie end.

10 hours ago, Normanton Lad said:

My Dad was friends with Bertie Mee before the second world war. Mee played for Derby reserves. Mee later managed Arsenal to the double and then - thankfully - sold Charlie George to us.

So, my Dad - a fan of those down the road and who play in red (I thought Garibaldi was a biscuit) used to taunt me that he did something I hadn't - followed Derby County reserves away.

2 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

My Dad was friends with Bertie Mee before the second world war. Mee played for Derby reserves. Mee later managed Arsenal to the double and then - thankfully - sold Charlie George to us.

So, my Dad - a fan of those down the road and who play in red (I thought Garibaldi was a biscuit) used to taunt me that he did something I hadn't - followed Derby County reserves away.

Keeping in theme with the post, seeing DCFC reserves away and seeing a famous player playing in the reserves I went to see the reserves playing at the Council Rec, in 1989 .

These guys was playing for them:

Current Everton Manager, Current Derby Academy Director and Gary CHarles!!!

Wasn’t there also an ‘A’ team that played down Sinfin Lane? Was used more for the younger players I seem to remember.

I can vaguely remember watching some of their matches we were living nearby at the time. Not too sure though as I was only knee high at the time. ?

49 minutes ago, chadlad said:

Wasn’t there also an ‘A’ team that played down Sinfin Lane? Was used more for the younger players I seem to remember.

I can vaguely remember watching some of their matches we were living nearby at the time. Not too sure though as I was only knee high at the time. ?

Yes the A team played at Sinfin Lane where the first team trained. I can remember John Robson playing very well for the A team. It was obvious that he a quality player. I went to Sinfin Lane many times to watch the Rams training. It mainly seemed to be a couple of hours of running around and practice games. This was in the Tim Ward days. 

2 hours ago, hiltonram said:

My first memory of the reserves was standing on the ossie end terrace in the early seventies watching them on a Saturday afternoon when the first team would have been playing away at the same time. The half time scores were relaid to us via the letters that the stewards would put up between the ley stand and ossie end.

I always liked to sit for reserve games. It was cheap enough.

I can remember sitting on a sunny afternoon watching the reserves at the Baseball Ground when the news came through that Derby had beaten Ipswich 6-2 away in the last game of the 75-76 season. For much of that season we were sure that we were going to win the double but it all fell flat at the end . For me that score against a good Ipswich team was a sign that all was not well in the club. How could they be so poor one week and great the next? 

3 hours ago, The Last Post said:

I was at the game where we had 10k + think it might have been Liverpool back in the 70s, The year we won the Central League.

I had 2 older school friends who played for the reserves, Andy Rowland from Chadd and was at Olive Eden school and scored the winner for Swindon against Arsenal 3-2 FA cup, Ray Lewis again from Chadd and Olive Eden only 1 maybe 2 games but he  did get to play against some of Man Untds big names...I think we lost 2-1 not to sure.

There was a few local lads that played one game for Derby Reserves.  ??

3 hours ago, The Last Post said:

There were quite good players from Derby around the time that Andy Rowland was at school. He was a contemporary of Peter Ward and Steve Powell. Peter Ward probably made the biggest impact but when I read his book he said he couldn't get into the Derby Boys team. I think even today he is regarded by Brighton fans as one of their best every players.

3 hours ago, IslandExile said:

I don't think Charlie George had much respect for managers who weren't good players. I know he had bust ups with Colin Murphy on the training pitch. He didn't get on with Bertie Mee. Although Bertie only played a few league games - for Mansfield - his brother George Mee had a long career at Derby and elsewhere.

55 minutes ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

There was a few local lads that played one game for Derby Reserves.  ??

giphy.gif

I spoke to Gaz Murfin and Bob Melnicks(both old friends)after the Bolton game...about this old Olive Eden lad who posts on this message board, Out of the 2 who it could be, I whittled it down to you as they told me you'd moved that way...PR...very good player in the day you were ??

You must have been about the same age as Ray Lewis maybe a couple of years younger, Peter Ward was around my age and played with our lot on Chadd Park using jumpers for goal posts, 10 half time then home for tea.

Chris Fuller went to Aston Villa when Tommy Doc was manager late 60s I think and Eric Allsop went to Bury both lived in the same street as myself, Some very good players from around Chadd back in the 70s and 80s  

3 hours ago, chadlad said:

When the Reserve team didn't have a fixture on a Saturday, it wasn't unusual to see players from the first-team squad playing in the morning for the A team in the Midlands Intermediate League at Sinfin Lane and later at Raynesway - especially if they were seeking match fitness following an injury.

When Clough made Trevor Francis the first £1m British player, to keep his feet firmly on the ground, he gave him his debut in the Forest A team against Notts County in front of about 40 spectators at Nottingham University.

The game has changed but it was good as a boy to see big stars turning out against the Rams Reserves at the BBG.