Derby Reserves

Normanton Lad

44 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

When the Reserve team didn't have a fixture on a Saturday, it wasn't unusual to see players from the first-team squad playing in the morning for the A team in the Midlands Intermediate League at Sinfin Lane and later at Raynesway - especially if they were seeking match fitness following an injury.

When Clough made Trevor Francis the first £1m British player, to keep his feet firmly on the ground, he gave him his debut in the Forest A team against Notts County in front of about 40 spectators at Nottingham University.

The game has changed but it was good as a boy to see big stars turning out against the Rams Reserves at the BBG.

During my Northcliffe United days Derby & Forest both had teams in the Midland Sunday League for a year in the early 80s mainly to have a look at young trialists.

Gave Forest a bit of a drubbing at their place, they turned up at King George V later in the season with a forward line of Steve Wigley, Peter Davenport & Paul Raynor.

Anyway, to cut a long story short……………4-2 home win.?

10 hours ago, IslandExile said:

My Dad was friends with Bertie Mee before the second world war. Mee played for Derby reserves. Mee later managed Arsenal to the double and then - thankfully - sold Charlie George to us.

So, my Dad - a fan of those down the road and who play in red (I thought Garibaldi was a biscuit) used to taunt me that he did something I hadn't - followed Derby County reserves away.

Amazing how many biscuits are named after revolutionaries, isn't it?

You've got your Garibaldis, your Bourbons and, of course, your Peek Frean Trotsky Assortment.

On 10/02/2023 at 14:23, The Last Post said:

giphy.gif

I spoke to Gaz Murfin and Bob Melnicks(both old friends)after the Bolton game...about this old Olive Eden lad who posts on this message board, Out of the 2 who it could be, I whittled it down to you as they told me you'd moved that way...PR...very good player in the day you were ??

You must have been about the same age as Ray Lewis maybe a couple of years younger, Peter Ward was around my age and played with our lot on Chadd Park using jumpers for goal posts, 10 half time then home for tea.

Chris Fuller went to Aston Villa when Tommy Doc was manager late 60s I think and Eric Allsop went to Bury both lived in the same street as myself, Some very good players from around Chadd back in the 70s and 80s  

I played with gaz,bob and ray Lewis at prims, Les Wright from prims also played for Derby reserves in the 70,s

in the 80,s borrowash Vics had some lads play for the reserves, Ian grostate and Paul turner and maybe some others, having been associated with prims since 1981 I don’t like saying good things about vics?

6 minutes ago, Henrycav81 said:

I played with gaz,bob and ray Lewis at prims, Les Wright from prims also played for Derby reserves in the 70,s

in the 80,s borrowash Vics had some lads play for the reserves, Ian grostate and Paul turner and maybe some others, having been associated with prims since 1981 I don’t like saying good things about vics?

Yep,You even lost Ian Collins as secretary to the Vics...another old friend ??

30 minutes ago, Henrycav81 said:

I never knew chunky was prims secretary it was always Jim ballington when I played for prims 

chunky is now secretary at Greeley rovers

I could be wrong, He was certainly in and around the organisation/secretary type at the time for Prims, Vics had a fund raiser at the bowl in Spondon against a forest 11, Birtles turned up and chucked in £50...flash mother ducker ?

10 minutes ago, The Last Post said:

I could be wrong, He was certainly in and around the organisation/secretary type at the time for Prims, Vics had a fund raiser at the bowl in Spondon against a forest 11, Birtles turned up and chucked in £50...flash mother ducker ?

Prims used to train and play at the Ramarena, if they left the boiler room open we would nip in and “borrow” the training kit I’d always try and get bobby Davison,s kit. I’d struggle to get in John Robertson’s kit now 

13 hours ago, Henrycav81 said:

I played in same John Port School team as Gros. He was a year younger but best player. Roy Mac wanted him to sign for Derby but Gros wouldn’t give up the day job at the bank. 

26 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

I played in same John Port School team as Gros. He was a year younger but best player. Roy Mac wanted him to sign for Derby but Gros wouldn’t give up the day job at the bank. 

I think Arthur Cox was manager then, Gros played in virtually the whole season for the reserves in the season we won the central league (85-86 ?) 

21 minutes ago, Henrycav81 said:

I think Arthur Cox was manager then, Gros played in virtually the whole season for the reserves in the season we won the central league (85-86 ?) 

24 minutes ago, Henrycav81 said:
35 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

Ian Grostate is second from the left on the back row next to Steve McLaren.

DCFC Reserve Team.jpg

17 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

Yes Arthur was the Boss but Roy Mac was his assistant and was always badgering Gros to sign. Mac Really liked him as a player and bloke 

Roy Mac, while being the assistant manager at the time, was also manager of the Reserve team I think. That photo actually came from Ian quite recently. His sister and brother-in-law travel on the supporters, bus from Brailsford. The three of us originated from Mickleover and we were talking about Ian being in the team that won the Central League in 1986. Then at Christmas I bumped into Ian with them and we were having a chuckle because when Ian was 14, his dad asked me to let him join Mickleover Robin in the Derby Sunday League. We all knew Ian was a good player because of his reputation but I was concerned that at 14 it might have been a risk for him; we played against some very physical teams at the time. Ian and his dad went elsewhere as he made his way up the ladder and so for me he was the one that I let slip through the net so to speak ?.

Anyway, Ian dug out the photo and sent it on. He still has the tankard that was presented to the players as a medal for winning the League - that team was the only one from a third tier club to ever become champions.

22 hours ago, Brailsford Ram said:

Then at Christmas I bumped into Ian with them and we were having a chuckle because when Ian was 14, his dad asked me to let him join Mickleover Robin in the Derby Sunday League. We all knew Ian was a good player because of his reputation but I was concerned that at 14 it might have been a risk for him; we played against some very physical teams at the time.

Whitecross Rangers, Caribbean all Stars, Rainbow Athletic, Chellaston RBL and last but not least the dirties...Derbyshire Police at Ripley HQ ?and one D Redfearn...how the mighty did fall ?, The Refs would always and I mean always take pity on the side of the Police ?when rolling in agony on the floor when we looked at them. 

I had the miss fortune to play against all the above...and came away on the losing side more often than not

1 hour ago, The Last Post said:

Whitecross Rangers, Caribbean all Stars, Rainbow Athletic, Chellaston RBL and last but not least the dirties.

I began playing Sunday league football in 1968 when I was 16 years old and I can vouch for some of the "tactics" and intimidation which the older players gave us, many of them just out of the pub from their Sunday lunchtime session.

You grew up quick on a football field in those days!!

I started with Osmaston Park Rangers, later renamed Derby Engineers, before switching to playing on a Saturday's with Allestree RBL, Allenton Athletic, Aston on Trent, Roe Farm FC and Borrowash Vics.

There were some very good 'local' semi-pro players in those days and I believe many would have made full-time professional levels if they had been given the opportunity and money to play, because many where in decent jobs and couldn't afford to play full-time.

I always loved playing football and continued to play when I worked overseas in Saudi Arabia, where the 'Saudia' team reached the local expatriate's cup final, as well as playing in Abu Dhabi up to my mid-50's.

My last full 90 minutes game was in a charity match on Pride Park, one day before my 65th birthday, which was a fantastic day, with photographs and a DVD to prove it to my grandson.

1 hour ago, ImARam2 said:

I began playing Sunday league football in 1968 when I was 16 years old and I can vouch for some of the "tactics" and intimidation which the older players gave us, many of them just out of the pub from their Sunday lunchtime session.

You grew up quick on a football field in those days!!

You'll remember Royal Standard FC run by "Digsy"  he had all the "pot hunters" ? at his disposal, One season they played 22 and won 22, You couldn't lay a glove on em they were that good.

2 hours ago, The Last Post said:

Whitecross Rangers, Caribbean all Stars, Rainbow Athletic, Chellaston RBL and last but not least the dirties...Derbyshire Police at Ripley HQ ?and one D Redfearn...how the mighty did fall ?, The Refs would always and I mean always take pity on the side of the Police ?when rolling in agony on the floor when we looked at them. 

I had the miss fortune to play against all the above...and came away on the losing side more often than not

I played with Dave Redfearn for grandstand over 35s, we had a 1/4 final in the Umbro national cup away at Scarborough, we had a bus leaving from the master locksmith pub when someone said where’s Redfearn, one of the other coppers in the team said we might not be seeing him for a while. He ended up spending some time at her majesty’s pleasure . I believe he’s since passed away 

1 hour ago, Henrycav81 said:

I played with Dave Redfearn for grandstand over 35s, we had a 1/4 final in the Umbro national cup away at Scarborough, we had a bus leaving from the master locksmith pub when someone said where’s Redfearn, one of the other coppers in the team said we might not be seeing him for a while. He ended up spending some time at her majesty’s pleasure . I believe he’s since passed away 

A quick check Redfern died in 2020