Digital assistants on the wane

Wolfie

BBC reporting today that they haven't turned out to be the must-have that was expected. I have to agree with the woman in the article about being annoyed by notifications and requests for reviews - though that only happens occasionally now.

Have you got one and what do you use it for?.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64371426

We've got 4 echo dots in the house:

2 x Kitchen & Living room - almost exclusively used to play music

2 x Bedrooms - Daughter uses hers for music and alarm clock but ours is mostly just for the alarm

I have to admit I've never adopted the smart home thing & am quite capable of turning lights on and off etc. It's rare that I even think of asking a question of Alexa, I just grab my phone and google it instead.

Am I missing something amazing to do with them?

On a related note, here's a headline I didn't think I'd read today...

A father has lost custody of his five-year-old daughter after he was discovered by police to have used his Amazon Alexa app to babysit her while he went to the pub

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/dad-loses-custody-daughter-5-29111231

Edited by Scott129

I start/Pre-heat/De-Ice my car on freezing mornings, from a mobile app, whilst sat indoors finishing my coffee.
I set many reminders/appointments on my Google calendar.
And we have a Ring Doorbell/Camera at home.
I've recently started using mobile google (search then maps) for the car satnav, as no longer have Ford's live traffic thing.  (Plug the phone in car, and it auto comes up on the car info screen (Apple-Play?).

I can also set/unset the (Ring) alarm to the office remotely, by mobile app.

I think that's about as techy as we go!
Never had Alexa or similar.
Have... but never used... Siri on my phone!
No Hive or similar.
No lighting apps etc.

In fact, I'm tempted to say "I've got a little behind"... but some of you lard-arses will only take offence!  ?

I like to stay up with tech trends but have to say have drawn the line at having a smart house, ie integrated lights etc. Don't have many on anyway and it's not hard to just turn 'em off. 

I do however have 3 x nest minis upstairs (our bedroom and each of the girls).  When they're all out and I'm working from home I tend to use them all as an upstairs group for music. Makes me feel like I have an expensive music system, when in facts I got them all cheap on deals. The girls use theirs for homework questions, or music but rely on phones more for alarms, weather etc. If I took them away, they probably wouldn't miss them. 

Downstairs I have an LG speaker in the kitchen, with Google Assistant which again is mainly used for music.  I have recently invested in an outside Google Nest camera, and may well get another for the back, but that's as far as I'm going. 

Like the BBC report, I do wonder about the longevity of this - when we first got it, we were always asking questions, weather updates, tell a joke etc....but now, it's 99% music so really I probably just need Bluetooth speakers (which I have anyway). I did get the mother-in-law an Alexa echo dot but only for emergency calls as she's not very mobile and if she had a fall could ask it to call us.  I don't even know if she has it plugged in thinking about it now.....

8 minutes ago, BucksRam said:

When they're all out and I'm working from home I tend to use them all as an upstairs group for music. Makes me feel like I have an expensive music system, when in facts I got them all cheap on deals.

Yeah I discovered this feature at Christmas. Good to have low level music playing everywhere if you've got people round instead of deafening people in one room so it can be heard all downstairs.

5 hours ago, Wolfie said:

BBC reporting today that they haven't turned out to be the must-have that was expected. I have to agree with the woman in the article about being annoyed by notifications and requests for reviews - though that only happens occasionally now.

2 x Bedrooms - Daughter uses hers for music and alarm clock but ours is mostly just for the alarm

I have to admit I've never adopted the smart home thing & am quite capable of turning lights on and off etc. It's rare that I even think of asking a question of Alexa, I just grab my phone and google it instead.

We have two and I love them both.

The one in the bedroom I use mainly as a radio and alarm clock as it has no screen.

But I'm always firing questions at the one in the kitchen that has a screen.

Only about an hour ago it said on radio 5 they were about to interview Andy Farrell the head coach of the best rugby team in the world later on.

I don't follow rugby at all and had no idea who he coached, other than it not being England or Ireland, so I asked it and it told me that he was the head coach for Finland.

I then asked it who the main star in Happy Valley was and it told me Sarah Buckinghamshire.

And finally there was a black and white bird helping itself to my bird seed and I didn't know what it was. Apparently, it's a penguin.

It's good to stay informed I think.

Google. One in the kitchen, one in the office.

KITCHEN: Radio, timer, recipes, weather, music (though they are not good at playing your own music, better for Spotify / YouTube), news updates, random queries over dinner

OFFICE: Radio, podcasts, digital photoframe, clock

Don't have one in the bedroom because I'm still not convinced they're not listening to me. I think my wife uses it about four times a day to find her lost phone. Do tend to feel we underuse it but also don't see need to have it turn lights / telly on and off.

Conclusion: yeah, we use them and would recommend them.

5 hours ago, Wolfie said:

The upcoming ai and chat gpt tech will change these devices in the next 2 years and actually make them useful.

At the moment ours is used as a kitchen timer and by the 7yo to check his maths homework.

29 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

The upcoming ai and chat gpt tech will change these devices in the next 2 years and actually make them useful.

At the moment ours is used as a kitchen timer and by the 7yo to check his maths homework.

They're super useful now, at least to me and Mrs Badger. I use them multiple times per day.

But yeah, ChatGPT and what follows will make them incredible.

I'm spending and hour or so each day on ChatGPT and it's mind blowing.

The world is about to be turned upside down for a LOT of people.

43 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

random queries over dinner

In our house, that would be:

What the heck is that meant to be?
Is it meant to be this colour?
Where do we keep the gaviscon?
Was that chicken or fish?
Fancy a meal out sometime soon, darling?

#not so random

6 hours ago, Foreveram said:

We got one for my 90 year old mother who suffers from short term memory loss, Alexa reminds her when to take her tablets among other things.

My 93 year old dad has got one primarily so he can shout for it to call one of us if he is in difficulty and can’t get to the phone (he also wears a fall sensor so I guess he’s double covered). Weird as it may sound, I also think he also uses it for a bit of company (he lives on his own since my mum died 18 months ago). He say’s good morning to it and occasionally asks it to tell him a joke or something. 

59 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

My 93 year old dad has got one primarily so he can shout for it to call one of us if he is in difficulty and can’t get to the phone (he also wears a fall sensor so I guess he’s double covered). Weird as it may sound, I also think he also uses it for a bit of company (he lives on his own since my mum died 18 months ago). He say’s good morning to it and occasionally asks it to tell him a joke or something. 

My mum is the same, she will always talk politely and say please or thank you. I told her to ask “Alexa can you laugh “ her answer always amuses her.