FA cup

Foreveram

50 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

I appreciate and fully understand that, but there is also a large number of season ticket holders that couldn’t be bothered to go to the Torquay home game but would want to be at the front of the queue for a Wembley ticket ( not that it’s going to happen)?

slowly-raise-hand-gif-7.gif

3 hours ago, Foreveram said:

I appreciate and fully understand that, but there is also a large number of season ticket holders that couldn’t be bothered to go to the Torquay home game but would want to be at the front of the queue for a Wembley ticket ( not that it’s going to happen)?

Do they expect to beat the front of the queue or rather near the front after the regular away supporters, which is who I imagine most of the home Torquay crowd were?

It's difficult to categorize the level of can't be bothered. Is it down the extra cost, is it down to time, is it down to it being shown live on tv or the lack of atmosphere or the level of opposition? There are many factors contributing to attendance at football matches. As one of the season ticket holders who couldn't be bothered, my reasons were around £40 cost of fuel and ticket with the game live on tv, knowing that it'll be a low attendance with a poor atmosphere, resulting in a quiet 5 and a half hours for someone travelling to the game by themselves and being away from home for another evening, when being already out for a number of nights that week. Take out one or more of those circumstances and I would have been there.

Hats off to you and the likes of B4 and Angie, who go to most if not all of the games, but like many others, I choose not afford the time or the money to have the commitment that you show to the club.

8 minutes ago, ram59 said:

Do they expect to beat the front of the queue or rather near the front after the regular away supporters, which is who I imagine most of the home Torquay crowd were?

It's difficult to categorize the level of can't be bothered. Is it down the extra cost, is it down to time, is it down to it being shown live on tv or the lack of atmosphere or the level of opposition? There are many factors contributing to attendance at football matches. As one of the season ticket holders who couldn't be bothered, my reasons were around £40 cost of fuel and ticket with the game live on tv, knowing that it'll be a low attendance with a poor atmosphere, resulting in a quiet 5 and a half hours for someone travelling to the game by themselves and being away from home for another evening, when being already out for a number of nights that week. Take out one or more of those circumstances and I would have been there.

Hats off to you and the likes of B4 and Angie, who go to most if not all of the games, but like many others, I choose not afford the time or the money to have the commitment that you show to the club.

I know everyone’s circumstances are different and I would never call out someone that couldn’t afford to go to a game. The thing is if we had been playing Man City or Arsenal or Spurs then a lot more people would have made the effort.

22 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

I know everyone’s circumstances are different and I would never call out someone that couldn’t afford to go to a game. The thing is if we had been playing Man City or Arsenal or Spurs then a lot more people would have made the effort.

If you've got to pick and choose the games you go to, people are obviously going to pick the big ones though.

I have to ration the games I go to this season due to work and finances. The way I'm doing that is by saying I'll go to every weekend game home and away, but will skip midweek games. That's my way of rationing, but others will choose to go to the big occasions and give the smaller ones a miss. That couldn't be me, as I'd genuinely rather a trip to Accrington away than Man United, but I'm a weirdo.

I know there's always a mad rush to get Wembley tickets, but I don't think I've ever seen a "half-fan" demanding priority over those that go every week. The regular home and away matchgoers absolutely deserve priority, and as long as that's respected then I don't see the issue.

It bugs me a little bit when I see people who pay no attention to the club all of a sudden becoming a huge fan when we get to the big games, but I think those are few and far between. Most simply can't afford to travel across the country, or they prioritise family/other time every other weekend. And that's fine.

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

2 minutes ago, Wistaston Ram said:

Don't understand why this has been moved, it is not on TV and I won't be able to make it now which is very annoying.

This is the content taken from the clubs site;

“In order for broadcast coverage of the match to be provided for live distribution overseas, the game will take place at Pride Park Stadium on Sunday 8th January 2023 (12:30pm kick-off).”

So looks like it’s being moved to fulfil the tv deals outside the UK, which is really poor and inconsiderate to our fans (unlike the Burton game being moved in my view). Let’s hope it at least means more revenue for the club due to the “live distribution overseas”. 

5 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

“In order for broadcast coverage of the match to be provided for live distribution overseas, the game will take place at Pride Park Stadium on Sunday 8th January 2023 (12:30pm kick-off).”

So looks like it’s being moved to fulfil the tv deals outside the UK, which is really poor and inconsiderate to our fans (unlike the Burton game being moved in my view). Let’s hope it at least means more revenue for the club due to the “live distribution overseas”. 

More revenue from live distribution obviously top trumps fans actually at the ground.

5 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

More revenue from live distribution obviously top trumps fans actually at the ground.

I have no idea if the revenue would be higher than that generated by fans at the ground. I’d speculate the club has to make the decision with an assumption of sorts that there’ll still be a decent crowd supporting the team on the day AND bringing money into the clubs coffers, with the increase in revenue from the overseas tv coverage being a further boost to the balance sheet.
Or perhaps the clubs don’t have a say in it and the decision is made for them by the FA due to their commercial contracts? Only a select few in suits and “positions of power” will know the true reasons. ??‍♂️ 

As I said before, doesn’t sit right with me. 

20 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I know it will impact some but I wonder if it really is that "inconsiderate" for most of us? At least it's not an evening kick off and there may be some who work on a Saturday that can now make it.

Personally, and I know this is a selfish point of view (apologies). whilst I prefer the tradition of a Saturday 3pm kick off, a Sunday lunch time isn't the end of the world. I know public transport is rubbish on a Sunday but the rail workers will probably be on strike anyway.

1 hour ago, NottsRam said:

Is there any wonder the FA Cup is losing it's appeal ffs

Used to look forward to first & last league games, boxing day fixture and 3rd round FA Cup tie, usually freezing cold and usually lose!

Sunday lunchtime is the worst possible time to watch a game, i won't be braving Sunday morning public transport for this one, Ill leave it to the Uber fans. 

I wonder how many others won't bother also, would the foreign TV rights make more money for the club than 3000-4000 less in the crowd?  

11 minutes ago, Steadybreeze said:

Used to look forward to first & last league games, boxing day fixture and 3rd round FA Cup tie, usually freezing cold and usually lose!

Sunday lunchtime is the worst possible time to watch a game, i won't be braving Sunday morning public transport for this one, Ill leave it to the Uber fans. 

I wonder how many others won't bother also, would the foreign TV rights make more money for the club than 3000-4000 less in the crowd?  

Doesn’t really matter, they’ll do it regardless.

15 minutes ago, Steadybreeze said:

I will not be bothering, Those who choose to go...then fair play, I stopped being an "Uber fan" a good few years ago ?