Best midfield in the league

Bris Vegas

I thought upon relegation that a midfield trio of Bird, Knight and Bielik would absolutely dominate League One.

Then when Hourihane and Smith signed, I laughed as I couldn’t believe how good we had it in there.

Bielik leaving became obvious but I still thought we’d have the best in the league, comfortably.

But it’s been a major disappointment so far. Both individually and collectively, they haven’t been good enough.

So it leads me to the question. Are they underperforming? Or are they overrated? 

12 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I thought upon relegation that a midfield trio of Bird, Knight and Bielik would absolutely dominate League One.

Then when Hourihane and Smith signed, I laughed as I couldn’t believe how good we had it in there.

Bielik leaving became obvious but I still thought we’d have the best in the league, comfortably.

But it’s been a major disappointment so far. Both individually and collectively, they haven’t been good enough.

So it leads me to the question. Are they underperforming? Or are they overrated? 

Too often Hourihane and Knight are too wide and Bird is isolated. When they were a little more central v Cambridge we looked better 

22 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Only Knight has the physicality for this division. Hourihane lacks the zip and the fitness to play the game we need him to. Bird looks short of confidence. He doesn’t look like a player who’s having fun.

We need more bite. I think Rooney is worth trying there.

5 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Only Knight has the physicality for this division. Hourihane lacks the zip and the fitness to play the game we need him to. Bird looks short of confidence. He doesn’t look like a player who’s having fun.

We need more bite. I think Rooney is worth trying there.

This. You need a battler or two in there, even in the championship.

Sadly many seem to think being technically more gifted is the answer, it’s nice but you need the grafters willing to do the dirty work as well and we don’t have many. 

I think Smith will help when he’s back to full fitness.

Hourihane has obvious quality and won us 6 points on his own so far. However in general play I think he lacks the energy and determination required at this level. Doesn't look fully fit but could just be age and his style.

Bird has more drive but has looked a bit shell shocked so far, quality is there but needs someone to do more of the dirty work.

Knight has been at RB for 90% of the games so far, but he's looked better in the middle. He's got to be a big asset in this league with his energy and quality.

I'd love to see Bielik back and think either Smith or Rooney in for Hourihane is a good shout at this point.

I think the players are top quality for the league, they should be dominating more than they are. We just haven't found the right balance and adjusting to both the physicality and our own dynamics.

I'm confident it will come but definitely inclined to give Hourihane a break.

On 09/10/2022 at 15:31, Bris Vegas said:

A bit unfair on Knight who has only played three games in midfield, two of which we have won. He was at fault for Vale's winner but otherwise was our best midfielder.  

Bird not enough protection and Knight keeps gravitating to RB area . Hourihane needs to be further forward   so I’d put Jake Rooney in as a 4th midfielder.

Wildsmith 

Chester.   Davies Cashin 

Rooney 

Knight     Bird.  
                 Horihane

MDL            Sibley 

Dobbin 

Because of availablity due to suspension and injury 

36 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Bird not enough protection and Knight keeps gravitating to RB area . Hourihane needs to be further forward   so I’d put Jake Rooney in as a 4th midfielder.

Wildsmith 

Chester.   Davies Cashin 

Rooney 

Knight     Bird.  
                 Horihane

MDL            Sibley 

Dobbin 

Because of availablity due to suspension and injury 

That formation would be wonderful if pitches were half as wide as they are. There's zero out wide there.

I think the big thing we lack is composure when in possession. With players we currently have at our disposal I think we miss Smith and McGodrick.

I do also think we miss Sibley a bit but he also really needs to find a position for himself and not sure where they would be unless you moved Knight onto that right wing again (which I’m not against tbh).

Edited by TuffLuff

45 minutes ago, Srg said:

That formation would be wonderful if pitches were half as wide as they are. There's zero out wide there.

Of course Warne wants to play with wing backs up and down but have we got that at the moment. 
MDL and Sibley were wide in that team .

Injuries and suspensions will force Warne to change 

Fwiw and to expand on my first post, I think what I consider part of the issue now is we don’t have what I call a ‘tempo setter’ in our midfield. Someone who goes and makes the triangles across the pitch and moves opposition players around to create space.

The classic example was Bryson (who would love to play in a Paul Warne side) being the constant next to Hughes or Hendrick. Hughes was a lovely footballer but slow (hence he never really worked as a DM) and Hendrick was a bit more limited but had more aggression. Both have ended up playing their best football at Derby because they didn’t have to control the game. Bryson set the tempo, made the triangles with the wide and attacking players and controlled our tempo and I think we are missing the player who can do that.

Hourihane and Bird are like Hughes and Hendrick to me, in that neither of those four are going to run around and make the space. In our current set up the two who can do the Bryson role, albeit differently, is Smith and McGoldrick. They get the ball, bring others into play and make space for others to run into. I think Knight could do it, although he was a bit poor on Saturday. Sibley could do it? As I said before he needs to find his role within the side, he won’t develop if he continues this sub/attacker role.

So we have options it’s just about developing the shape and maybe, even if it’s short term choosing between Hourihane or Bird much like Mac 1 did with Hughes and Hendrick (until he didn’t and we lost the play off final)

Edited by TuffLuff

On 09/10/2022 at 15:31, Bris Vegas said:

The midfield when bird and hourihane doesnt work we need smith back in there instead of one or the other i feel bird needs time out of the team to get his playing levels back up and needs to learn to stop being scared of a tackle seems to shy away from the tackle alot in this league 

Smith in the holding role with Knight and one of Bird and Hourihane ahead of him would be my choice based on performances so far this season.

I also think that we play better with McGoldrick in the link up role and he takes a lot of pressure off the midfield. I like Dobbin, but the role is unfamiliar for him.

2 minutes ago, roboto said:

Smith in the holding role with Knight and one of Bird and Hourihane ahead of him would be my choice based on performances so far this season.

I also think that we play better with McGoldrick in the link up role and he takes a lot of pressure off the midfield. I like Dobbin, but the role is unfamiliar for him.

Smith and McGoldrick are injured