The South - Change my mind.

Day

So we're looking to go away for a long weekend, we love the North and said we'd do something different, let's rough it and go down South.

Where would be the place to visit on the South coast that would change our mind and have us wanting to come back for more?

Not Cornwall and Devon, been there done that. Looking more at the South Coast to the East of that as it's unexplored territory for us.

Was looking at Brighton but the parking is ridiculous, not paying £30 for 24 hours in a multi story to stay down near the sea front. 

We're looking to explore the outdoors, a bit of walking around, not interested in sitting in a pub all day, not with the stupid prices down there. I don't have a beard, no time for real ales, IPA's or tramp juice so forget all that nonsense.

Small town, big town, little village, open to anything, just looking to be impressed.

23 minutes ago, David said:

So we're looking to go away for a long weekend, we love the North and said we'd do something different, let's rough it and go down South.

Where would be the place to visit on the South coast that would change our mind and have us wanting to come back for more?

Not Cornwall and Devon, been there done that. Looking more at the South Coast to the East of that as it's unexplored territory for us.

Was looking at Brighton but the parking is ridiculous, not paying £30 for 24 hours in a multi story to stay down near the sea front. 

We're looking to explore the outdoors, a bit of walking around, not interested in sitting in a pub all day, not with the stupid prices down there. I don't have a beard, no time for real ales, IPA's or tramp juice so forget all that nonsense.

Small town, big town, little village, open to anything, just looking to be impressed.

Isle of Wight. No border controls for the ferry.  

51 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

Isle of Wight. No border controls for the ferry.  

If he doesn't like the car park charges in Brighton, he's definitely not going to like the cost of taking a car over to the Isle of Wight ?.

I was in Brighton last month for the first time ever. We were staying about 20 miles away, and went there twice .I liked it. If I was going there for a long weekend, and wanting to stay near the front, I'd forget about the car park charges, and go on the train.

1 hour ago, ketteringram said:

If he doesn't like the car park charges in Brighton, he's definitely not going to like the cost of taking a car over to the Isle of Wight ?.

I was in Brighton last month for the first time ever. We were staying about 20 miles away, and went there twice .I liked it. If I was going there for a long weekend, and wanting to stay near the front, I'd forget about the car park charges, and go on the train.

No proper beach in Brighton. Plenty of bars and cafes though. There's the Pavilion if you like that sort of thing. Ok for a weekend.   

I went to the New Forest for the first time a few weeks ago and loved it. Loads of good walks and the free range horses and donkeys were pretty cool. We were in Brockenhurst, very pretty village with nice pubs, restaurants, independent butcher and bakers etc. It was about an hour’s drive to Bournemouth.

Head down to Lulworth Cove, then short walk on the cliffs down to Durdle Door. Then go to Corfe Castle, followed by Studland Beach and nature reserve, before going on ferry over to Sandbanks to see Mel.

Bournemouth is a nice place for a day and you can also head east down the coast for a lovely walk round Hengistbury Head.

As @Kinder mentioned, you are about an hour away from the New Forest. Brockenhurst is nice, so is Beaulieu.

If you are happy to stay somewhere basic, Premier Inn at Poole would be a good base, or Bournemouth if you want to be somewhere more lively. You could probably see all the above with 3 nights, go to New Forest on way home.

I guess it depends on what you like to do when you're on holiday. We love to be out and about most of the day exploring beaches, historical properties and gardens and eating out as well as just relaxing with books and a picnic.

My favourite places are in Devon and Cornwall. Such a large area and so much to see. Evening meals at little estuary restaurants and lots of sand and sea!

Kent is a lovely county. I did my final 12-week teaching practice near Goudhurst and it's a place I long to go back to, though I guess it's changed a lot since 1978! I remember walking along the narrow, winding country roads on my way to school each morning. It was between September and December and the hedgerows were almost changing daily with rich autumn colours, mists and hop fields and lots of wonderful oast houses. The sights, smells and sounds of that autumn will remain with me forever along with the love and care shown to me by my 'host' family and the staff at Winchett Hill Primary!

I've always wanted to visit Thomas Hardy Country and the South Downs National Park plus Winchester, Chichester and Arundel. I'll get there some day.

I hope you find somewhere that ticks everything on your list, though often it's those unexpected discoveries that delight the most and make a holiday memorable. Good Luck!

37 minutes ago, sage said:

David will want something cheap, so i'd suggest Weymouth is cheaper than most southern coastal towns and smells of fish so he will feel at home.   

Weymouth is about as cheap and cheerful as you'll get down here. Nice sandy beaches. Bit of a harbour for the fishing boats. A little bit rough around the edges, but that comes with the price I guess.

Central location to explore all the Jurassic Coast, which is stunning and well worth a visit.

Portland, Durdle Door, West Lulworth, Studland, Swanage, Corfe Castle, Burton Bradstock (I'd recommend a visit the Hive Beach Cafe there. Great food and location), West Bay (You'll instantly recognise it as the filming location for Broadchurch) and Abbotsbury.

A bit inland, Shaftsbury is a nice visit too. Filming location of that classic Hovis ad.  

Go lookup some of those places and see if it takes your fancy, but it beats Brighton hands-down for me. 

Edited by therealhantsram

1 hour ago, Kinder said:

I went to the New Forest for the first time a few weeks ago and loved it. Loads of good walks and the free range horses and donkeys were pretty cool. We were in Brockenhurst, very pretty village with nice pubs, restaurants, independent butcher and bakers etc. It was about an hour’s drive to Bournemouth.

This area is great too. Brockenhurst, Lymington, Christchurch, and Bournemouth all great places to vist... but I'll make this recommendation. Save this area until you have kids. Cause you'll absolutely want to combine them with a trip to Peppa Pig World ?   

You might mock now, but trust me, when you have a 4-year old it's worth it for the joy on their little faces!

Have to say, due to the recent enforced staycations (Sept 2020 & 2021), we weren’t at all disappointed with Lyme Regis. 
A nice little resort in itself, with plenty of coastal/cliff top walking to be had along the SWCP, in either direction. Plenty of hills admittedly, but also plenty of reward. We could have chosen a lot worse!