Gotta love Extinction Rebellion

Bob The Badger

13 minutes ago, Highgate said:

I don't see how it would. Maybe you have ideas about that yourself.

For starters if you are producing your own power, then oil producing nations can't charge you whatever the want for their oil and Russia can't turn off the gas when there is a war on.  I think any country would want to be self sufficient in terms of energy production from a national security point of view.  

I was thinking our defence systems are not very green (nuclear) etc, would they have to go.

1 hour ago, I am Ram said:

It will not mean a thing if we went 100% green tomorrow, if China, Usa, India, Russia and Iran don't. It's a global issue, just stop oil should protest in the worst offending countries first.

Again - that outlook is completely self-defeating. It's not a competition, and we're not toddlers.

It takes guts to do the right thing against the odds. To say "no point us doing it if x, y and z don't do it" is about as cowardly as you can get. You have to lead by example.

49 minutes ago, I am Ram said:

I was thinking our defence systems are not very green (nuclear) etc, would they have to go.

Well nuclear power doesn't produce GHGs...not during it's operational period anyway. It's got nuclear waste issues obviously..but as far as climate change is concerned it's far better than coal, oil or gas. 

I don't see how getting rid of nuclear weapons that already exist helps anyone in terms of climate change and don't think it's really been considered by any nuclear power as part of their Net Zero plans. 

1 hour ago, Stive Pesley said:

Again - that outlook is completely self-defeating. It's not a competition, and we're not toddlers.

It takes guts to do the right thing against the odds. To say "no point us doing it if x, y and z don't do it" is about as cowardly as you can get. You have to lead by example.

Ermmmmm in this debate that’s very very rich , I don’t see a single world leader , delegate , extremist protester , climate crisis promotionist leading by example,, perhaps roger hallam ?
as cowardly as you can get you say?

Edited by Archied

Why don’t police just climb up the gantry’s and hand cuff them to it? They’re probably glued to it anyway.

No risk of them falling onto the carriageway then and everyone can go about their business.

When they’ve had enough they can just let the police know and they’ll get back to them as soon as possible to release them.

18 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Why don’t police just climb up the gantry’s and hand cuff them to it? They’re probably glued to it anyway.

No risk of them falling onto the carriageway then and everyone can go about their business.

When they’ve had enough they can just let the police know and they’ll get back to them as soon as possible to release them.

I was with you all the way, right up to that last paragraph ?

Have just seen they’re statement released with regards to collisions caused and injury to police officer , if anybody with an ounce of sense can’t see that these people are brainwashed cult members they really need to take a long hard look at themselves,

vunerable people being manipulated and harmed by grifters , still no answer on that one yet , your Mike yeadon s and the like are grifters harming the vulnerable according to many on here and everything the say can be dismissed but no such standards applied when you support what the grifter is saying and doing ??‍♂️

5 hours ago, ketteringram said:

I was with you all the way, right up to that last paragraph ?

Why? do you want them to stay with them while there’s no risk of them falling off?  The police apparently have “proper criminals to catch”

I guess they could just leave one PC instead of a load.

18 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Why? do you want them to stay with them while there’s no risk of them falling off?  The police apparently have “proper criminals to catch”

I've been watching "Italia 90...when football changed forever" the Italian police came under fire from the English fans before, During and after the Netherlands game, A day later they blitzed one camp of English fans most not involved in the trouble, But got a severe kicking with those long batons, Maybe we should have stayed in the EU and do to those on the M25 that the Italians did to English fans  

33 minutes ago, Boycie said:

No. No need for any police to be involved at all once there's no risk of them falling. Just leave them there.

1 hour ago, ketteringram said:

No. No need for any police to be involved at all once there's no risk of them falling. Just leave them there.

I guess the idea was to prevent them leaving (or falling off) - leave them overnight so they have to sit through the fume from the evening and mornig rush hour would be ideal.....

I wonder if anyone can calculate the amount of excess pollution they and their friends have been responsible for by bringing the traffic to a standstill? - seems to be self-defeating to me if your protest is actually making the situation worse.

Same as the numpties complaining about the A38 improvements in Derby - delaying/blocking the junction improvements means more stationary traffic and more noxious gases in the atmosphere.....

1 hour ago, Shipley Ram said:

A bit of background on that report;

'But following all of the controversy, the authors' consulting firm, Global Business Network, stated on its Web site that that the report offered a worst-case scenario, not a prediction.

"As is customary in military and defense-related projects, the authors describe a worst case scenario (not a prediction) for abrupt climate change," the company said. "They note that 'the purpose of this report is to imagine the unthinkable—to push the boundaries of current research on climate change so we may better understand the potential implications on national security.' Contrary to some recent media coverage, the report was not secret, suppressed, or predictive." '

Poor reporting by the Guardian you would have to say not to point this out. 

I think I'm catching on here, the game is to try and find a prediction, that somebody made,  at some time in the past, about some aspect of climate change, that hasn't come true yet.  Then to extrapolate (and this is the clever part) from that erroneous prediction to the inescapable conclusion that the whole idea of global warming is therefore fake news or at least vastly exaggerated, never mind what all those pesky climate experts say. 

Honestly I fully believe these people should be arrested , questioned then sectioned  and placed in secure mental health facilities until they are in a stable mental and emotional state ,,,, someone who openly states and takes action that endangers they’re own life and the lives others and states they will not stop until they’re demands are met really is not functioning normally, they need to be kept in a secure place until they are no longer a danger to themselves or others

13 minutes ago, Highgate said:

A bit of background on that report;

'But following all of the controversy, the authors' consulting firm, Global Business Network, stated on its Web site that that the report offered a worst-case scenario, not a prediction.

"As is customary in military and defense-related projects, the authors describe a worst case scenario (not a prediction) for abrupt climate change," the company said. "They note that 'the purpose of this report is to imagine the unthinkable—to push the boundaries of current research on climate change so we may better understand the potential implications on national security.' Contrary to some recent media coverage, the report was not secret, suppressed, or predictive." '

Poor reporting by the Guardian you would have to say not to point this out. 

I think I'm catching on here, the game is to try and find a prediction, that somebody made,  at some time in the past, about some aspect of climate change, that hasn't come true yet.  Then to extrapolate (and this is the clever part) from that erroneous prediction to the inescapable conclusion that the whole idea of global warming is therefore fake news or at least vastly exaggerated, never mind what all those pesky climate experts say. 

The problem is we have is government s being pushed to make policies on these worst case scenario’s , media pushing these worst case scenario’s, highway to hell speeches using more worst case scenario’s and vunerable people in a real mental anguish doing stupid things endangering themselves and others not to mention creating massive problems in other peoples lives on these worst case scenario’s,

so perhaps the game you describe of pointing out ALL of these ,predictions, worst case scenario’s, faulty models is the good and right thing to be doing ,

I think ordinary people are catching on here , maybe the people pumping these things out are grifters

Edited by Archied