Championship | 22/23 Season

Day

14 hours ago, Gaspode said:

Steve Bruce continues to work his magic at West Brom - in the bottom three after tonight’s game ?

No team has more shots or possession than WBA in the Championship - quite remarkable considering their position in the table. 

13 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

The Championship is crap.

Parachute payment teams Sheffield United, Norwich and Burnley just easing into it.

If you’re somebody like Cardiff, where do you go from here?

Its Cardiffs own fault for pissing all their parachute payments up the wall.

People say the Championship is competitive, but it isn't at all. Promotion usually dominated by parachute teams who tear every other team into pieces. The Championship and the Premier League are both pretty boring - very rare for anyone to break into the top 5 in the Prem and same old teams getting promoted from the Championship.

58 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Its Cardiffs own fault for pissing all their parachute payments up the wall.

People say the Championship is competitive, but it isn't at all. Promotion usually dominated by parachute teams who tear every other team into pieces. The Championship and the Premier League are both pretty boring - very rare for anyone to break into the top 5 in the Prem and same old teams getting promoted from the Championship.

What like Leeds, Forest and Brentford?

2 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

What like Leeds, Forest and Brentford?

Not sure what your point here is exactly?

The other two teams when Forest were promoted were Bournemouth and Fulham - both yoyo parachute teams. The other two teams when Leeds got promoted were West Brom and Fulham - both parachute teams. The other two teams when Brentford got promoted were Norwich and Watford - again both Parachute teams. Almost every single time we've been in the playoffs since Steve Mc 1 we've lost to a parachute team.

The non parachute teams are usually competing for one position. Its a garbage system and is sucking the fun out of football. The Prem is even worse - every rule that gets introduced just seems design to further widen the gap.

4 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Not sure what your point here is exactly?

The other two teams when Forest were promoted were Bournemouth and Fulham - both yoyo parachute teams. The other two teams when Leeds got promoted were West Brom and Fulham - both parachute teams. The other two teams when Brentford got promoted were Norwich and Watford - again both Parachute teams. Almost every single time we've been in the playoffs since Steve Mc 1 we've lost to a parachute team.

The non parachute teams are usually competing for one position. Its a garbage system and is sucking the fun out of football. The Prem is even worse - every rule that gets introduced just seems design to further widen the gap.

I agree, something needs to be done about it. My point was that it isn't impossible to go up without parachute payments as we see non parachute teams promoted regularly. So I don't think it has destroyed the competition in the championship but it might well do if we carry on like this. 

5 hours ago, Ambitious said:

No team has more shots or possession than WBA in the Championship - quite remarkable considering their position in the table. 

Fewest shots per game against, as well. It's actually incredible that they're doing so rubbish in real terms.

1 hour ago, Rammy03 said:

I agree, something needs to be done about it. My point was that it isn't impossible to go up without parachute payments as we see non parachute teams promoted regularly. So I don't think it has destroyed the competition in the championship but it might well do if we carry on like this. 

I think It’s becoming increasingly more common now that two of the three promoted teams are ones in year one or two of parachute payments.

When was the last time two teams got promoted in the same season who weren’t on parachute payments?

I think it was when Wolves and Cardiff were top two. And even then it was because Wolves had a unique advantage over the rest.

Gone are the days when 3 random teams get promoted and actually have a decent shot at staying up.

2 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I think It’s becoming increasingly more common now that two of the three promoted teams are ones in year one or two of parachute payments.

When was the last time two teams got promoted in the same season who weren’t on parachute payments?

I think it was when Wolves and Cardiff were top two. And even then it was because Wolves had a unique advantage over the rest.

Gone are the days when 3 random teams get promoted and actually have a decent shot at staying up.

18/19 - Villa in 3rd year, plus Sheff Utd 

17/18 - Wolves and Cardiff

16/17 - Brighton and Huddersfield

14/15 - Bournemouth and Watford

13/14 - Leicester and Burnley

12/13 - Cardiff and Palace

11/12 - Reading and Southampton

10/11 - QPR, Norwich and Swansea

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

18/19 - Villa in 3rd year, plus Sheff Utd 

17/18 - Wolves and Cardiff

16/17 - Brighton and Huddersfield

14/15 - Bournemouth and Watford

13/14 - Leicester and Burnley

12/13 - Cardiff and Palace

11/12 - Reading and Southampton

10/11 - QPR, Norwich and Swansea

It’s definitely become more prominent in the past four seasons.

Did you know it’s also been five years since Fulham and Norwich last played each other in a league game? 

That’s how silly it is getting.

15 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

So its only destroyed the competition for 2 of the promotion spots? Depends on the year but we're usually looking at three quarters of the league competing for one promotion spot and they just have to hope there isn't a third parachute team that blows them out of the water.

29 minutes ago, GenBr said:

So its only destroyed the competition for 2 of the promotion spots? Depends on the year but we're usually looking at three quarters of the league competing for one promotion spot and they just have to hope there isn't a third parachute team that blows them out of the water.

8 teams are in receipt of parachute payments almost every year. If all teams were of similar ability, on average, you'd expect 1 parachute team to be promoted.
But, not all teams are equal. Just like you'd expect the 3 sides promoted from L1 to be in the lower end of the table, perhaps 2 to get relegated? Or like you can expect Huddersfield (back where the were before Corberan), Blackpool, Birmingham, Hull, etc to be in and around the relegation spots
Surely a team recently relegated from the PL, is typically a bigger draw to players than one who has been in the Championship for a decade, or never even been in the PL at all? Signings from the PL willing to give them a season or two to get back up before departing too (similar to the likes of Knight and Bird sticking with us in L1). That's without considering the financial disparity.

How many parachute teams earning promotion is fair? It's currently 1.30 teams relegated from the PL return to the PL within 3 seasons. The equivalent for L1-Championship is 1.46 over the past 13 seasons. In those 13 seasons, the following are yet to return since parachute payments have ended: Portsmouth, Birmingham, Blackpool, Blackburn, Bolton, Wigan, Reading, QPR, Hull, Boro, Sunderland, Swansea, Stoke, Cardiff, Huddersfield.

Championship-PL is actually fairer than L1-Championship.