Liam Thompson - Signed contract two years 2024

England Ram

What a lad. I wouldn't have slated him if he left but to stick and wait for us..? Unreal considering our off season. He could have jumped ship to somewhere more secure but he stuck with. These are the kind of people we need now more than ever.

Liam. If you are reading this. Cheers!

Edit: Goes for all the lads obviously but I was so happy to see this.

Edited by spondon_ram

9 hours ago, angieram said:

I am really pleased we've held on to Tommo. Great composure and won't be bullied. I think he's going to boss it at League One level.

That “boss it at league 1 level” is going to really bite people in the bum….it’s not like the championship where teams sit off and defend tactically by letting you have the ball on the edge of your own box…..think how often he was caught in possession later in the season and that’s how it’ll be from game 1 in league 1. No one is going to let a 5’6” ball player pop it around dictating play. He’ll be swamped from minute 1 and it’ll take time to make the necessary adjustments. I think he’ll find it a lot tougher than the Championship.

7 minutes ago, Ravabeerbelly said:

That “boss it at league 1 level” is going to really bite people in the bum….it’s not like the championship where teams sit off and defend tactically by letting you have the ball on the edge of your own box…..think how often he was caught in possession later in the season and that’s how it’ll be from game 1 in league 1. No one is going to let a 5’6” ball player pop it around dictating play. He’ll be swamped from minute 1 and it’ll take time to make the necessary adjustments. I think he’ll find it a lot tougher than the Championship.

Please don't quote me, I don't wish to engage with you and your opinions on our young players.

Put me on ignore.

16 minutes ago, Ravabeerbelly said:

You're absolutely right mate. *

* Barry Bannon is 5' 6 1/2"

1 hour ago, angieram said:

Please don't quote me, I don't wish to engage with you and your opinions on our young players.

Put me on ignore.

I dont put anyone on ignore. Never have and never will. It’s kinda what I thought discussing a topic was all about ??

If Liam Thompson or any other teenage ball playing centre mids boss league 1 at first attempt I’ll be the first to take my hat off. 

12 hours ago, Ravabeerbelly said:

If Liam Thompson or any other teenage ball playing centre mids boss league 1 at first attempt I’ll be the first to take my hat off. 

Flynn Downes, Matt O'Riley, Lewis Fiorini, Fisayo Dele-Bashiru and Jay Matete. That's just last 2 seasons. Not mentioning the likes of Liam Walsh who did it a few years ago. 

35 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

Flynn Downes, Matt O'Riley, Lewis Fiorini, Fisayo Dele-Bashiru and Jay Matete. That's just last 2 seasons. Not mentioning the likes of Liam Walsh who did it a few years ago. 

Flynn Downes was 20 when he first played in league 1. He’d had 2 seasons in the championship playing 40 odd games where he completed almost every minute. He was then 20 years old when Ipswich were relegated and he went into league 1 with a settled championship side that should’ve come straight back up. His stats in league 1 that season were similar (pro rata) to Isaac Hutchinson’s at Southend….who was 19 at the time and was far from “bossing it”. Flynn was then 21 the following season where his stats dropped off as did his performances and his appearances (which may have been injury related). Downes moved back into the championship as a 22 year old where he has regained some form and consistency.

Matt O Riley was a teenager while at Fulham and made 1 appearance in the championship. He moved to MK as a 20 year old and played less than half the games and similar amount of games the following season as a 21 year old. Again that’s hardly “tearing it up”. He’s also 6’2” and believe it or not that will make a difference in league 1.

Fisayo Dele-Bashiru only played league 1 football as a 20 year old. He started 16 games…..and completed a similar amount of minutes as Hutchinson did as a 19 year old and his stats for that season as a 20 yo are below that of Hutchinson’s at 19. Again I don’t consider that he “tore it up” by any means.

Jay Matete played 7 times as a teenager in league 1 starting just 3 games. Although he did play 20 games in league 2 that same season for Grimsby, who were relegated out of the EFL. The following season as a 20/21 year old he started 30 from 34 games which backs up my “first attempt” statement. His stats weren’t fantastic and he most definitely wasn’t “tearing it up” at any point.

Lewis Fiorini I grant you had an exceptional season last season and is the same age as Thompson. He had had a full season in Hollands Eredivisie the previous season and is an international footballer at every age group from 16 to 21 and I’d imagine Manchester City think very highly of him……

Liam Walsh played 15 times in league 2 as a teenager. He then next played less than 10 times the championship as a 20 year old for Bristol and Birmingham. The following season he made 9 appearances and has failed to make more than 5 appearances in a season other than as a 22 year old two seasons ago in league 1 on loan at Coventry where he made 26 appearances.

Consider what I’m saying. This isnt demeaning the qualities of a young footballer or saying they aren’t good footballers. I’m being realistic and league 1 is tough tough league full of physical footballers who play a certain way. Young players aren’t sent there on loan by big clubs to “boss it” they’re sent there to learn the game and toughen up….the hard way! 

He (Liam) will have some good games. He’ll have some shockers. I expect him to be in and out the side and I expect opposition teams to press him and target him physically when he plays. I personally doubt very much that he’ll be tearing it up, but it may be a season that makes or breaks him in terms of his long term career.

11 minutes ago, Ravabeerbelly said:

Flynn Downes was 20 when he first played in league 1. He’d had 2 seasons in the championship playing 40 odd games where he completed almost every minute. He was then 20 years old when Ipswich were relegated and he went into league 1 with a settled championship side that should’ve come straight back up. His stats in league 1 that season were similar (pro rata) to Isaac Hutchinson’s at Southend….who was 19 at the time and was far from “bossing it”. Flynn was then 21 the following season where his stats dropped off as did his performances and his appearances (which may have been injury related). Downes moved back into the championship as a 22 year old where he has regained some form and consistency.

Matt O Riley was a teenager while at Fulham and made 1 appearance in the championship. He moved to MK as a 20 year old and played less than half the games and similar amount of games the following season as a 21 year old. Again that’s hardly “tearing it up”. He’s also 6’2” and believe it or not that will make a difference in league 1.

Fisayo Dele-Bashiru only played league 1 football as a 20 year old. He started 16 games…..and completed a similar amount of minutes as Hutchinson did as a 19 year old and his stats for that season as a 20 yo are below that of Hutchinson’s at 19. Again I don’t consider that he “tore it up” by any means.

Jay Matete played 7 times as a teenager in league 1 starting just 3 games. Although he did play 20 games in league 2 that same season for Grimsby, who were relegated out of the EFL. The following season as a 20/21 year old he started 30 from 34 games which backs up my “first attempt” statement. His stats weren’t fantastic and he most definitely wasn’t “tearing it up” at any point.

Lewis Fiorini I grant you had an exceptional season last season and is the same age as Thompson. He had had a full season in Hollands Eredivisie the previous season and is an international footballer at every age group from 16 to 21 and I’d imagine Manchester City think very highly of him……

Liam Walsh played 15 times in league 2 as a teenager. He then next played less than 10 times the championship as a 20 year old for Bristol and Birmingham. The following season he made 9 appearances and has failed to make more than 5 appearances in a season other than as a 22 year old two seasons ago in league 1 on loan at Coventry where he made 26 appearances.

Consider what I’m saying. This isnt demeaning the qualities of a young footballer or saying they aren’t good footballers. I’m being realistic and league 1 is tough tough league full of physical footballers who play a certain way. Young players aren’t sent there on loan by big clubs to “boss it” they’re sent there to learn the game and toughen up….the hard way! 

He (Liam) will have some good games. He’ll have some shockers. I expect him to be in and out the side and I expect opposition teams to press him and target him physically when he plays. I personally doubt very much that he’ll be tearing it up, but it may be a season that makes or breaks him in terms of his long term career.

Yeah but...what about Barry Bannon?