Liam Thompson - Signed contract two years 2024

England Ram

25 minutes ago, Ravabeerbelly said:

By the time he was 20 he had less than 30 starts in the Championship.

Didn’t play in league 1 until he was 32 

???

No one is going to let a 5’6” ball player pop it around dictating play.

?

16 hours ago, Ravabeerbelly said:

That “boss it at league 1 level” is going to really bite people in the bum….it’s not like the championship where teams sit off and defend tactically by letting you have the ball on the edge of your own box…..think how often he was caught in possession later in the season and that’s how it’ll be from game 1 in league 1. No one is going to let a 5’6” ball player pop it around dictating play. He’ll be swamped from minute 1 and it’ll take time to make the necessary adjustments. I think he’ll find it a lot tougher than the Championship.

I politely disagree with this. What always stood out about Thompson to me was his close control. He's very tidy with the ball and therefore has all the attributes to play around a press- which is the scenario you're saying he is going to struggle with. 

He's not a 'sit deep and ping passes' sort of midfielder. He's a: pick it up while being closed down, clever turn into space, and play the ball forward-type; if he can play this way as well as he did last season, there's every chance he can adapt to this level fairly quickly.

The only game i remember him struggling was when we asked him to play as a makeshift wingback... I'm excited to see what he can do in League 1. Not saying he's going to be our most critical player, but he's definitely shown enough to warrant more excitement than worry, going into this season.

You asked for young, ball playing midfielders, who "bossed" it. When I think of bossed it, especially for midfielders, I think of players capable of controlling a game, all the above are capable of that. Also, the players I mentioned were all <21 in L1, as Thompson is no longer a teen like you were saying. 

- Downes looks set to be moving to Palace for £8m. 

- Matt O'Riley was 1000% tearing it up, he absolutely dominated for MK and is dominating at Celtic. If you think O'Riley didn't tear it up in League 1, I genuinely worry for you. 

- Walsh I mentioned due to him being similar to Thompson in terms of size, who absolutely bossed League 1 and was named in the TOTS, stats shown below. Again, I worry if you think he didn't boss it.

The others, they were off the top of my head of young midfielders capable of bossing games.

Edited by Jubbs

40 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

You asked for young, ball playing midfielders, who "bossed" it

No I didn’t. I didn’t ‘ask’ for anything. I said if LiamThompson or any other 5’6” ball playing teenagers boss league 1 at first attempt I’d take my hat off to them. 

When I think of bossed it, especially for midfielders, I think of players capable of controlling a game, all the above are capable of that

I didn’t mention being capable of controlling a game. I was talking in response to a player like Liam Thompson “tearing up league 1” at the first attempt. Liam Thompson is capable to controlling a game. As are many many young players. Do I think they or he will tear up an entire division for a season? No I don’t. No chance. 

Also, the players I mentioned were all <21 in L1, as Thompson is no longer a teen like you were saying. 

Agreed. But none of them were tearing up the division in their first season in it. Regardless of being 19 or 20 years of age.

Downes looks set to be moving to Palace for £8m

Downes is now 23 and going to be 24 this season. He has over a 100 games under his belt as a regular starter. He’s been a regular in England age group squads since 17.

Matt O'Riley was 1000% tearing it up, he absolutely dominated for MK and is dominating at Celtic. If you think O'Riley didn't tear it up in League 1, I genuinely worry for you. 

Matt O Riley’s first season in league 1 he played less than half the games. That’s not tearing it up. However I’m sure he bossed some games at that level. In his second season he still only started 26 games. Again in my book that’s not tearing up an entire division. Again I’m sure his consistency levels went up and he probably bossed more games than the previous season. 

Walsh I mentioned due to him being similar to Thompson in terms of size, who absolutely bossed League 1 and was named in the TOTS, stats shown below. Again, I worry if you think he didn't boss it.

Walsh’s stats for that season were excellent. However he was 24 years old. Four years older than Thompson is now, and would be approaching his peak in terms of weight, muscle mass, and technical ability. Thompson is nowhere near any of those. And league 1 is a physically tough league!!! 

The others, they were off the top of my head of young midfielders capable of bossing games.

At the risk of repeating myself ‘capable of bossing games’ is nothing like ‘tearing up league 1’. Tearing up a league I would at least expect a player to be playing more than half the games.

What do people think I’m arguing about here? That a young footballer isn’t very good? Or can anyone appreciate I’m pointing out that a young player going into a horrible difficult physical league 1 from the start of the season where expectation is high, is very different to coming into an emotionally driven siege mentality where support of the players was at its highest and expectation was at its lowest in a league and a team where technical ability was the premium requisite for a midfield player.

Edited by Ravabeerbelly

3 hours ago, Ravabeerbelly said:

Matt O Riley’s first season in league 1 he played less than half the games. That’s not tearing it up. However I’m sure he bossed some games at that level. In his second season he still only started 26 games. Again in my book that’s not tearing up an entire division. Again I’m sure his consistency levels went up and he probably bossed more games than the previous season. 

Rather than trying to correct me, at least be correct yourself. O'Riley joined MK in January after training for 6 months with them and played most games from Jan-May. Again, he then played most games from Aug-Jan until he got his big move. Tearing it up as a 20/21 year old in his first season in League 1. Completely tearing it up and if you deny that, I have no idea what standards you're looking for.

Walsh’s stats for that season were excellent. However he was 24 years old. Four years older than Thompson is now, and would be approaching his peak in terms of weight, muscle mass, and technical ability. Thompson is nowhere near any of those. And league 1 is a physically tough league!!! 

Again, please do not correct me when you're wrong. He's 24 now and was 21/22 when he played for Coventry in League 1. His stature is very similar to Thompson. 

At the risk of repeating myself ‘capable of bossing games’ is nothing like ‘tearing up league 1’. Tearing up a league I would at least expect a player to be playing more than half the games.

I want to know, what the hell are you expecting from these players? Are you expecting ball playing midfielders to get 10 goals and 10 assists a season??? 

Edited by Jubbs
Corrected O'Riley age from 21 to 20/21.

2 hours ago, Jubbs said:

Rather than trying to correct me, at least be correct yourself. O'Riley joined MK in January after training for 6 months with them and played most games from Jan-May. Again, he then played most games from Aug-Jan until he got his big move

So around half the games in each season then yeah? Which is what I said isn’t it? Matt Riley is 6’2” and a class act. I’m sure he was outstanding in some games and bossed several. He is in my opinion a far better player than Thompson anyway. But my point regarding this was not many players (teenagers) tear league 1 up at first attempt. It still stands. 

2 hours ago, Jubbs said:

Again, please do not correct me when you're wrong. He's 24 now and was 21/22 when he played for Coventry in League 1. His stature is very similar to Thompson. 

Granted I saw the age at the top of the stat sheet and misread that as being his age at the time. However hit was only two years ago meaning he was still 21/22 which is a season or two beyond where Thompson is and long past my original statement which was “not many teenagers tear up league 1 at first attempt”!!! I’m not sure why that’s confusing you?

2 hours ago, Jubbs said:

I want to know, what the hell are you expecting from these players? Are you expecting ball playing midfielders to get 10 goals and 10 assists a season???

No I’m not and that’s where you seem confused again. It’s exactly what I’m not expecting and was dismissing someone who was suggesting it was possible. 

If the expectation is for Liam Thompson to “tear up league 1” people will be left disappointed and the expectation isn’t realistic.

Firstly he’s not the type to tear up anything. He’s an under the radar terrier who is neat and tidy on the ball in his own half and spots danger when defending. He will find league 1 tough because playing beat and tidy passes anywhere in league 1 is tough but it’s almost impossible away to Lincoln in the pi$$ing rain when Thor game plan is a well organised high press to stop it happening. 

Liam along with many other talented youngsters at many many clubs will have some good games and some howlers. He’ll be caught on the ball in some games and cost goals and he’ll look like he can play in any tight areas with good technique in others.

He won’t be tearing anything up though and will be in and out the side at best. 

1 hour ago, Ravabeerbelly said:

So around half the games in each season then yeah? Which is what I said isn’t it? Matt Riley is 6’2” and a class act. I’m sure he was outstanding in some games and bossed several. He is in my opinion a far better player than Thompson anyway. But my point regarding this was not many players (teenagers) tear league 1 up at first attempt. It still stands. 

Granted I saw the age at the top of the stat sheet and misread that as being his age at the time. However hit was only two years ago meaning he was still 21/22 which is a season or two beyond where Thompson is and long past my original statement which was “not many teenagers tear up league 1 at first attempt”!!! I’m not sure why that’s confusing you?

No I’m not and that’s where you seem confused again. It’s exactly what I’m not expecting and was dismissing someone who was suggesting it was possible. 

If the expectation is for Liam Thompson to “tear up league 1” people will be left disappointed and the expectation isn’t realistic.

Firstly he’s not the type to tear up anything. He’s an under the radar terrier who is neat and tidy on the ball in his own half and spots danger when defending. He will find league 1 tough because playing beat and tidy passes anywhere in league 1 is tough but it’s almost impossible away to Lincoln in the pi$$ing rain when Thor game plan is a well organised high press to stop it happening. 

Liam along with many other talented youngsters at many many clubs will have some good games and some howlers. He’ll be caught on the ball in some games and cost goals and he’ll look like he can play in any tight areas with good technique in others.

He won’t be tearing anything up though and will be in and out the side at best. 

Bored To Death Yawn GIF by Rose McGowan   im sure Liam Thompson wont lose any sleep over what you think about him , to me the lads got a big future in the game , hope its with the Rams

31 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

Bored To Death Yawn GIF by Rose McGowan   im sure Liam Thompson wont lose any sleep over what you think about him , to me the lads got a big future in the game , hope its with the Rams

If you read what was said properly you’d understand that it was never about him not being good enough and very much about tempering expectations of what could be a tough first season in League 1….for everyone let alone a young player who’s asset is his technical ability not his physique. 

Seems too much for some to understand ?‍♂️