Academy thread 22/23

RoyMac5

Going to be a tough game for the u21s tonight away at Leeds. Some proper money spent on some of those Leeds players….

13 minutes ago, ExiledinDerby said:

Going to be a tough game for the u21s tonight away at Leeds. Some proper money spent on some of those Leeds players….

Yes, when we played them earlier in the season there were several young players they'd bought in for £1million + fees.

I think it was a deliberate attempt to improve their academy pool to PL standards when they'd been promoted. Their academy had previously been a bit rubbish. 

1 hour ago, angieram said:

Yes, when we played them earlier in the season there were several young players they'd bought in for £1million + fees.

I think it was a deliberate attempt to improve their academy pool to PL standards when they'd been promoted. Their academy had previously been a bit rubbish. 

That Leeds team at the start of the season at PP had a value of more than £35 million… yes I have written that correctly…? of course it had Dan James in it but Sonny Perkins and some of the others were bought for substantial fees.. 

Their academy has not produced players in years and yeah it’s been pretty rubbish! 

Here are the highlights of the game against Alfreton https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBVlqQAfhIs and the Dirties u21 https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2023/03/u21-highlights-leeds-united-3-0-derby-county.   

In a moment of weakness during a boring meeting, I looked up what the local Leeds press had to say about last night's game and they gave the impression that their u21s had given a performance that would have left the 1970 Brazilians open-mouthed in admiration.  The highlights tell a slightly different story - they took their chances, we didn't and we gave a couple of goals away.  The stats on Soccerway (or was it Flashscore?) also suggest that it was a fairly even game, but then of course you prove anything with stats.

Kido Taylor-Hart definitely looks a prospect, somewhat reminiscent of Ebiowe.  Let's hope we can get him signed up permanently.  Overall, I suspect that the Alfreton game will be much more beneficial to our lads with regard to their development, not because we won, but because of the physical battle that it seemingly involved.