Academy thread 22/23

RoyMac5

I see we lost 3-0 to the dirties but I suppose it's not the worst result possible. It's been a tough old year or two for the young uns and it'll be interesting to see what the long-term effects are; it'll make men of some of them, I guess, but I can see it having the opposite effect on a few too.

It's a sad irony that the thing that Morris seemed to treasure most, the academy and the promise thereof, has been the longest-term victim of his idiocy. I've come to realise that I'm not too fussed about what league we're in, but one of the compelling reasons for making it back to the Championship would be the re-build of the youth teams and the ability to hang onto those showing promise a little longer than of late. Must have been a bitter pill for the coaches who had us punching way above our weight prior to the Mad Mel.

It's great to see the U18s improvement since the New Year. I put it down to 2 main factors.

1, Dejaune Brown returning from injury. 8 goals and 1 assist in his 8 games so far.

Record without Brown: W1 D2 L5
Record with Brown: W3 D4 L1

2. I mentioned it before, but Buxton becoming U18 manager has probably been a bigger factor.

Before Buxton: W0 D1 L4
Since Buxton: W4 D5 L2

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

It's great to see the U18s improvement since the New Year. I put it down to 2 main factors.

1, Dejaune Brown returning from injury. 8 goals and 1 assist in his 8 games so far.

Record without Brown: W1 D2 L5
Record with Brown: W3 D4 L1

2. I mentioned it before, but Buxton becoming U18 manager has probably been a bigger factor.

Before Buxton: W0 D1 L4
Since Buxton: W4 D5 L2

There has also been the return from injury of Cox, Richards, Moloney and Moore along with Robinson and Evans playing a spell of games from the u21s…

1 hour ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Quite an exciting young talent, this lad. I've just remembered we're not allowed to big up the young 'uns, so I'll just quietly hope the progress is maintained ?

I’ll take this as a response to my earlier post about a players development and there being no guarantees. Brown is indeed a great talent and is showing great potential at u18 and some promise at u21. That’s still a million miles away from being a first team regular. You can big up the young uns as much as you want but don’t forget that you have when you then criticise them when their form dips. 

3 minutes ago, ExiledinDerby said:

I’ll take this as a response to my earlier post about a players development and there being no guarantees. Brown is indeed a great talent and is showing great potential at u18 and some promise at u21. That’s still a million miles away from being a first team regular. You can big up the young uns as much as you want but don’t forget that you have when you then criticise them when their form dips. 

Not at all mate and apologies if you got that impression. It relates to a fair while back when a few of us were enthusing over young Festy and more latterly, Ebiowei and were taken to task for it. It's nothing to do with Brown or the current crop or anything I've seen you post. 

2 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Not at all mate and apologies if you got that impression. It relates to a fair while back when a few of us were enthusing over young Festy and more latterly, Ebiowei and were taken to task for it. It's nothing to do with Brown or the current crop or anything I've seen you post. 

My apologies for the misunderstanding. I agree that players should be encouraged and we have some outstanding ones currently in the u18s and u21s. IMO some like Brown have the potential to go beyond the players currently in the first team but I worry that they get built up and knocked down way too easily as young players and hopefully as the academy rebuilds they get the opportunity to develop away from spotlights and criticism until they are ready for it. 

50 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Carlos Richards made it 3-1 just after half time.

Aghatise sent off (straight red?) after 77 mins.

Yep, straight red. Didn't see what happened.  Bit of needle crept in second half after a stri g of Brlper challenges not penalised by the ref.

No idea about Cybulski, he was there watching, as were most of the under 21s not playing.

Too cold to post from the game! 

20230314_195547.jpg