Academy thread 22/23

RoyMac5

Chester probably not in the first team squad tomorrow 🧐

Looks like 5 at the back. Not sure which way round the front 3 are. I'm surprised there's no Oseni, Wheeldon or Brown.

Evans

Oduroh   Chester   Bardell   Solomon   Kelly

Bates   Hawkins

Taylor-Hart   Vigar   Davidson   

Finished 5-1 and it was a mauling in the second half. Seeing comments on YouTube highlights like embarrassing and they don’t care… Harsh and untrue in my opinion. I watched them today and some of those lads really do care and some of them are talented kids. It’s a makeshift team, players who would normally be in that team are out on loan or in the first team. We had first year scholars starting and coming off the bench today…. That sums it up. 

There were some today who are struggling, there are some in that team who are at their ceiling and it will take a massive rebuild. I just hope it’s treated properly in the summer and those who are good enough to go on and have careers in the game don’t get damaged too much by what has been a vicious and difficult season for them. 

We should've pulled the plug on the season with the so few options we have.

It will take years to build it back up - What good is getting battled each week for confidence for these kids? None of these players will make the first team (you can screenshot this) and it's just damaging the reputations of Wassall and Lyons after all the hard work previously.

1 hour ago, Papahet said:

It will take years to build it back up - What good is getting battled each week for confidence for these kids? None of these players will make the first team (you can screenshot this) and it's just damaging the reputations of Wassall and Lyons after all the hard work previously.

Or, it's classed as good experience and shows players not everything is easy. This sort of environment can actually assist in development. 

2 hours ago, Papahet said:

That would have been the absolute worst thing to do. 
no league = no academy status = losing the best young talent to other academies for nothing. 
great thinking from you there. 

2 hours ago, Papahet said:

2/3 of those players yesterday will play first team football. I’ll bet you £500 on that. Screenshot away… I’ll even name them if you want. 

These players have had reduced coach numbers, reduced contact times and training because of 12 months of Covid, some are playing 5/6 years in front.

And yes this situation can aid development in those with the right mindset to learn from it and you could see who from the side of the pitch yesterday. 

4 hours ago, ExiledinDerby said:

2/3 of those players yesterday will play first team football. I’ll bet you £500 on that. Screenshot away… I’ll even name them if you want. 

First team football where and at what level? Here, Man City, Belper Town..?

5 hours ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

Or, it's classed as good experience and shows players not everything is easy. This sort of environment can actually assist in development. 

How is losing 4, 5 nill each game a good experience? Seriously, nobody is benefitting from this season.

5 hours ago, tinman said:

That would have been the absolute worst thing to do. 
no league = no academy status = losing the best young talent to other academies for nothing. 
great thinking from you there. 

You mean like Delap, Gordon, Ebosele, Ebiowei and so forth? When we was throwing millions at Cat 1 status it to sell this crop for absolutely zilch..

1 hour ago, Papahet said:

First team football where and at what level? Here, Man City, Belper Town..?

How is losing 4, 5 nill each game a good experience? Seriously, nobody is benefitting from this season.

You mean like Delap, Gordon, Ebosele, Ebiowei and so forth? When we was throwing millions at Cat 1 status it to sell this crop for absolutely zilch..

At Derby County or a higher level. Evans, Hawkins and Davidson.

Losing every week but playing beyond your age group helps to develop your understanding, physicality and decision making. It’s why players go out on loan. 

Only Delap and Gordon came through the academy properly and neither have gone on to be worth multi millions yet so I’d say the £3 million for Gordon who has been injured for over a year was good business for where the club was at the time. 

Yes the academy could be scrapped but at this level you need a flow of players from insider your system. Have a look at Sunderland’s academy history.

11 minutes ago, ExiledinDerby said:

At Derby County or a higher level. Evans, Hawkins and Davidson.

Pretty sure I can find posts with people saying  the identical about Calero, Guy, Thomas, Ball, Simmons, Brown, Stretton, Verham, Zanzala, Wilson ETC 🙂

8 minutes ago, Papahet said:

Pretty sure I can find posts with people saying  the identical about Calero, Guy, Thomas, Ball, Simmons, Brown, Stretton, Verham, Zanzala, Wilson ETC 🙂

I don’t know how many of them had offers placed from premier league clubs but at least one on my list has. 

55 minutes ago, Baffled said:

Could you also find any about Bogle, Lowe, Bird, Knight, Sibley, Ebsoele, Cashin, Whittaker, Thomson ETC🙂

Most of those have/had been with the club since a child and picked up from the local area , but more importantly not rushed into the u23s which would've hampered any development.

Totally different to this current crop.

Square pegs round holes, springs to mind when I see the match day squads.

1 minute ago, Papahet said:

Most of those have/had been with the club since a child and picked up from the local area , but more importantly not rushed into the u23s which would've hampered any development.

Totally different to this current crop.

Square pegs round holes, springs to mind when I see the match day squads.

To keep it in simple terms for you...

It will take 2 years for the U21s to stabilise. In the meantime, the younger age groups will perform as well as they ever have.

Or we could have gone your way by giving up on the academy until we're back in the Championship and it'll take 10 years to get back to a fully working academy.

25 minutes ago, Papahet said:

Ah, I see. Given that you are comparing  Calero, Guy, Thomas, Ball, Simmons, Brown, Stretton, Vernam, Zanzala, Wilson ETC with our current u21s, presumably the players you have quoted were were also rushed into the U23s, hence their subsequent failure. 

Thank goodness the same didn't apply the likes of Bird (First Team Debut at 16), Knight (FTD 18), Sibley (FTD 17), Whittaker (FTD 18), Bogle (FTD 18), Lowe (FTD 19), Ebosele (FTD 18), Thomson (FTD 19) Cashin (FTD 20) who must all have had a much gentler entry into u23 football..............

17 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

To keep it in simple terms for you...

It will take 2 years for the U21s to stabilise. In the meantime, the younger age groups will perform as well as they ever have.

Or we could have gone your way by giving up on the academy until we're back in the Championship and it'll take 10 years to get back to a fully working academy.

10 years...?  slightly exaggerated there 😂

I'd rather put all our focus (and money) on reaching the Championship and beyond, than finding the next Will Hughes - Who we'll only sell for a million.

We got "lucky" with Bird, Knight, Cashin, Ebosele...Hendrick and Hughes earlier on.

Just like United got lucky with the "Class Of 92" -  if it was that easy to produce talent why haven't they done so since?

I'm not saying bin it, but I genuinely think more money than sense has been put into it, especially Moor Farm with the fancy facilities, sandpits and 12 pitches...

Absolute waste for a club outside the Prem.