Academy thread 22/23

RoyMac5

Rhys Brailsford sent off for a second yellow second half.

Their sub scored the second in injury time just after he'd come on. 

We looked better in defence with Harrison Solomon back but he visibly tired towards the end. If Max comes back next week we'll be stronger again.

The Chelsea lads were cup-tied today so we looked a bit toothless up front. But small steps in the right direction. 

Darren Robinson MOM for me.

58 minutes ago, angieram said:

Rhys Brailsford sent off for a second yellow second half.

Their sub scored the second in injury time just after he'd come on. 

We looked better in defence with Harrison Solomon back but he visibly tired towards the end. If Max comes back next week we'll be stronger again.

The Chelsea lads were cup-tied today so we looked a bit toothless up front. But small steps in the right direction. 

Darren Robinson MOM for me.

I assume you mean the Arsenal lads ?

No Rooney or Aghatise either. Presumably travelling with the first team as 'reserve' players?

A fully fit Solomon and Bardell at CB would be a big boost for the U21s and should see an upturn in results.

IMO we are desperate for CBs and a goalscorer at this level. We had 1 CB and 4 full backs on to start the game and they were getting smashed on the counter with their front 3 being big, fast and powerful. Frustrating as with it being such a young Forest team we should have created way more chances. It was a fairly even game but we just didn’t look like scoring.

9 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I assume you mean the Arsenal lads ?

No Rooney or Aghatise either. Presumably travelling with the first team as 'reserve' players?

A fully fit Solomon and Bardell at CB would be a big boost for the U21s and should see an upturn in results.

Sorry, yes I did. Was typing in car on way back from game. My brain as frozen as my feet! ?

(Those Prem clubs all the same to me!) 

3 hours ago, ExiledinDerby said:

IMO we are desperate for CBs and a goalscorer at this level. We had 1 CB and 4 full backs on to start the game and they were getting smashed on the counter with their front 3 being big, fast and powerful. Frustrating as with it being such a young Forest team we should have created way more chances. It was a fairly even game but we just didn’t look like scoring.

Oseni was clean through on keeper and didn't take his chance. Ibrahim blazed one over that should have been on target first half. That was about it, wasn't it? 

Where was Aghatise, do you know?

28 minutes ago, Papahet said:

Shocked to see some fans calling for Lyons and Wassall to be sacked this morning on social media.

The two men responsible for the success to begin with.

Just what do people expect?!

It'd be like us getting smashed a few times in a row by Real Madrid's u21s and demanding changes. 

In all seriousness it does highlight how important a return to at least the Championship is for you. League One clubs just can't afford to keep up the funding required for decent academies, we found this in the 00s. The longer it goes on that you're down there and us and Leicester are in the top flight the more risk there is of good local talent going elsewhere. 

Edited by Pontius Pilate

1 hour ago, Papahet said:

Shocked to see some fans calling for Lyons and Wassall to be sacked this morning on social media.

The two men responsible for the success to begin with.

No surprise tbh, social media is the home of major d********! Call them out - ask who we can sign and tell them how many we've sold.

5 hours ago, angieram said:

Oseni was clean through on keeper and didn't take his chance. Ibrahim blazed one over that should have been on target first half. That was about it, wasn't it? 

Where was Aghatise, do you know?

I can’t remember any other chances. That’s the problem. A make shift defence trying to balance against a team not scoring. I believe he has an injury so that’s why he didn’t play. 

Lo- Everton out on loan to Wealdstone FC until the end of the season… been one of the best attacking threats we have in the u21s in my opinion. 

32 minutes ago, ExiledinDerby said:

Lo- Everton out on loan to Wealdstone FC until the end of the season… been one of the best attacking threats we have in the u21s in my opinion. 

Moving back home and probably leaving in the summer then?

Unless im mistaken, all of our other loans this season have been to local(ish) clubs.

12 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Unless im mistaken, all of our other loans this season have been to local(ish) clubs.

Maybe, or when asked about going on loan he asked if he could be closer to family at this point in time 

18 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Not seen much of him, but he's always stood out for me when I have. So that would seem to be a shame if it's the case. But this academy world is ruthless! 

8 hours ago, angieram said:

Tonight now, of course. Not sure how many players we have left to make up a team? Will Rooney get a run out? That young man seriously needs some competitive game time.

Rooney could need game time in the first team.

5 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Not seen much of him, but he's always stood out for me when I have. So that would seem to be a shame if it's the case. But this academy world is ruthless! 

If you were to ask someone outside of football with expertise in child development to start with a blank sheet of paper and say “write down the best way to develop young men into elite athletes..” never in a million years would they come up with the current academy system. 

It has some wonderful positives it really does but it has many brutal negative pressures and outcomes. 

It’s why it should always be remembered that these are still very young men going through the longest job interview out there with a success rate of less than 1 %.