Serial Whingers Notts Forest playtime, which we simply cannot accept.

REDCAR

14 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

I doubt they'd approach him, he wouldn't leave Forest for Brighton 

Why not? Coopers reputation is going to take a massive hit when his disjointed squad of nobodies gets relegated at a canter. Brighton has better facilities, better players, will likely pay him more, a better stadium and better attendances.

Forest are a smaller team than Brighton as it currently stands. Forest winning a couple of European cups half a century ago isn't going to keep him there. 

4 hours ago, GenBr said:

Why not? Coopers reputation is going to take a massive hit when his disjointed squad of nobodies gets relegated at a canter. Brighton has better facilities, better players, will likely pay him more, a better stadium and better attendances.

Forest are a smaller team than Brighton as it currently stands. Forest winning a couple of European cups half a century ago isn't going to keep him there. 

But can the Brighton owners guarantee that his holiday home in Greece won't be fire bombed.

5 hours ago, GenBr said:

Cooper invested in the 'project' at Forest. Let's not kid ourselves, Forest are a bigger club than Brighton. A few seasons in the premier League for Brighton doesn't change that. Last season's mid table finish was the highest in their entire history.

Forest and Cooper will believe they can surpass Brighton. I imagine Forest would also up his salary to something Brighton wouldn't match. The owner has shown he doesn't mind throwing the cash about. Brighton are a much more sensible club, they know their limits.

It's a move that simply wouldn't happen.

Edited by Rammy03

2 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

You're not wrong but I'm telling you it wouldn't happen. He's invested in the 'project' at Forest. He will believe that he can make them better than Brighton. I imagine Forest would also up his salary to something Brighton wouldn't match.

Forest are no doubt ambitious, their spending suggests so. But with such ambitions come unrealistic expectations.

You only have to look at Villa sacking Dean Smith, and talk of Steven Gerrard being on the edge after a poor start.

Brighton and Forest probably have the same ceiling, but it’s far more difficult for Forest to get there with a higher chance of losing your job on the way.

5 hours ago, Rammy03 said:

Cooper invested in the 'project' at Forest. Let's not kid ourselves, Forest are a bigger club than Brighton. A few seasons in the premier League for Brighton doesn't change that. Last season's mid table finish was the highest in their entire history.

Forest and Cooper will believe they can surpass Brighton. I imagine Forest would also up his salary to something Brighton wouldn't match. The owner has shown he doesn't mind throwing the cash about. Brighton are a much more sensible club, they know their limits.

It's a move that simply wouldn't happen.

As i said previously a couple of European cups half a century ago doesnt make Forest a bigger club. Lets not be silly here. Forest will be back in the championship next year, but i very much doubt Brighton will be.

Brighton are also happy to splash the cash - particularly on wages, so thats never going to be an issue.

Just stating its a move that wont happen is pointless. None of the reasons you've given are strong enough to prevent Cooper leaving.

9 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Much as pains me, I would never think of a move from Forest to Brighton as a step up .  Historically, there a 3rd/4th tier team who only spent 4 years in the top flight prior to this spell.

You've got the same stuck in the past mentality as forest fans then. You need to bring yourself into 2022. Brighton is and has been a bigger club than Forest for a while now and is most certainly a step up for Cooper. They are a massive step up over us as well.

People need to get over events that happened decades ago. They are completely irrelevant to the decision making of managers like Cooper. 

Edited by GenBr

3 hours ago, GenBr said:

As i said previously a couple of European cups half a century ago doesnt make Forest a bigger club. Lets not be silly here. Forest will be back in the championship next year, but i very much doubt Brighton will be.

Brighton are also happy to splash the cash - particularly on wages, so thats never going to be an issue.

Just stating its a move that wont happen is pointless. None of the reasons you've given are strong enough to prevent Cooper leaving.

You've got the same stuck in the past mentality as forest fans then. You need to bring yourself into 2022. Brighton is and has been a bigger club than Forest for a while now and is most certainly a step up for Cooper. They are a massive step up over us as well.

People need to get over events that happened decades ago. They are completely irrelevant to the decision making of managers like Cooper. 

The original point was would Brighton go for Cooper as a Potter replacement and would Cooper go there. Now I think it would be a sensible move because I do believe Forest will go down this season but Cooper will not think that. I will reiterate, Cooper will not see Brighton as a step up. It's still very early in the season. He will believe that he can keep Forest up and then kick on in following seasons. It doesn't matter what we think.

In my opinion you don't become a bigger club in a matter of a few seasons. Both Forest and Derby are bigger clubs than Brighton and are by some distance. Both have the history and the fanbase. A few recent seasons Brighton finishing higher does not change that fact. We can agree to disagree.

3 hours ago, GenBr said:

How big a club is has nowt to to do with whether or not Cooper moves to Brighton or a few mid table finishes though. Wigan have spent more time in the top division than Derby and Forest in the last 20 years.  Are Bournemouth a bigger club than either ?  Historically Forest are a much more successful club.  Man Utd didn't win the league for 25 years.  Arsenal won 1 title in 20.   If history is irrelevant we may as well not bother and melt down anything won in the last 135 years.  Makes no sense to me. Both clubs will always be bigger than bloody Brighton.  

30 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

How big a club is has nowt to to do with whether or not Cooper moves to Brighton or a few mid table finishes though. Wigan have spent more time in the top division than Derby and Forest in the last 20 years.  Are Bournemouth a bigger club than either ?  Historically Forest are a much more successful club.  Man Utd didn't win the league for 25 years.  Arsenal won 1 title in 20.   If history is irrelevant we may as well not bother and melt down anything won in the last 135 years.  Makes no sense to me. Both clubs will always be bigger than bloody Brighton.  

Derby and Forest have spent the majority of their existence in the top fight of English football. How many seasons have Brighton spent there? 5? We're talking about clubs who have won league titles. Brightons greatest achievement is a lofty 9th placed finish. It's not even an argument. 

So we're back at the old argument, of how do you equate what constitutes a football club being thought of as being a bigger club than another club. 

Is it purely down to where a club presently sits in the league?

Their record of achievements and do we use what the club as achieved over the last 5,10,20,50 years or their entire history?

Should it be determined on how big their fan base is? The size of their stadium?

For my sins my perspective on the size of a club is probably partially coloured by where they were during the first few years that I started taking an interest in football.