Serial Whingers Notts Forest playtime, which we simply cannot accept.

REDCAR

2 hours ago, alram said:

for all of us laughing at lingard i am a bit gutted they appear to be going for it so much to be honest,

Behave, you were getting apoplectic when you heard we were going to sign Hourihane! OK, that's because of what previously happened (understandable), but Forest, if they buy Dennis, could take their spending into nine figures. I think the best way to get promoted out of the Championship - without incurring massive debt - is to build over a few seasons, sell a  player, re-invest, Swansea & Brentford as examples.

Forest are certainly going for it, alright. Going to be broke. Boom & bust, that's modern football. After what happened to us, they're welcome to it.

17 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

i wouldn't worry about him.  I think even they're coming to a fast conclusion it was 17 million quid down the toilet. 

Sounds like they've bought him to play the back to goal, hold up man role that Davis filled last season, when he seems like he's actually much more of a "run in behind" striker. Probably just looked at him, saw that he looked a big lad, and assumed that's the sort of player he is.

Must remember Fulham also spent over £100m when they went up.

The challenge for Forest isn’t particularly this season. They’re going down, no question about it.

It’s how they have utilized the money to get back up again in 2023/24.

Teams like Stoke, Boro, Cardiff and Swansea have missed their chance. 

There is a clear core group of yo-yo clubs like Fulham, Norwich, Watford and Bournemouth. Forest’s first objective should be to join that group.

In the Championship, it will be a big season for West Brom and Sheffield United in year two of the PP.

Burnley is an interesting one too.

4 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

The challenge for Forest isn’t particularly this season. They’re going down, no question about it.

I mean that isn't true to be honest. Many championship teams stay up. Leeds, Aston Villa, Brentford last season. Don't get me wrong I'd love to see forest fail but what makes those sides any different?

34 minutes ago, Asanovic70 said:

Behave, you were getting apoplectic when you heard we were going to sign Hourihane! OK, that's because of what previously happened (understandable), but Forest, if they buy Dennis, could take their spending into nine figures. I think the best way to get promoted out of the Championship - without incurring massive debt - is to build over a few seasons, sell a  player, re-invest, Swansea & Brentford as examples.

Forest are certainly going for it, alright. Going to be broke. Boom & bust, that's modern football. After what happened to us, they're welcome to it.

it is the best way to get promoted, but if you get promoted with a crap squad you are better off trying to stay there than lying down and taking it. look at how much we and even they spent over the years trying to get in the prem. they managed to fluke a promotion are are throwing everything at trying to stay there.

and i get frustrated about the hourihane business because i care about the long term future of the club, i dont give a toss if forest gamble their way to oblivion

14 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Errrrrr - maybe they were better???

The original poster said that it is a given that Forest will be relegated. It isn't. Yes all of the sides I mentioned were better sides in the championship but we haven't seen Forest kick a ball in the premier League yet. 

23 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

I mean that isn't true to be honest. Many championship teams stay up. Leeds, Aston Villa, Brentford last season. Don't get me wrong I'd love to see forest fail but what makes those sides any different?

I'd say the big thing with those three sides is that the core of their teams were the same in the Championship as it was in their first season up, and the additions to their squad were to build around what they already had. A lot of Forest's first XI from last season, and arguably most of the most important players, aren't there any more, which always makes it a harder task to get a new team together and playing well enough to stay up.

38 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

They all went up with far better sides with more difficult opposition.

Forest got promoted from arguably the worst Championship in a decade and they did so riding momentum and with the help of a bunch of loan players.

Whereas Brentford built for a good few years, Villa had genuinely decent players like Grealish and McGinn while Leeds also had decent players plus Bielsa.

I’ve mentioned a couple of times that Fulham are a better side. Bournemouth probably believe they are too.

If Forest stay up, then who goes down? They’re miles behind the likes of Villa, Wolves and Leicester.

Southampton and Palace comfortably have better sides, almost player for player.

Forest’s best hope is to finish above the other two promoted clubs plus one of Brentford and Leeds. But all of those clubs have spent at least one of the past three years as a PL club.

In terms of squad quality, squad depth, PL resources and PL experience, Forest are behind every other club.

I don’t think they have a unique style like Sheffield United who could surprise either. 

But feel free to post this back to me in May if I’m horribly wrong.

Edited by Bris Vegas

@alram

What is the point of throwing everything just to stay in the PL? All it means is that you get the chance to throw another lot of money the season after. The PL largesse is exaggerated, Forest have just ensured £10m of the purported £170m goes to Lingard.

Promoted sides can spend £100m & still take hammerings (Fulham, Villa). Established sides can spend hundreds of millions (Everton) & then be involved in a relegation battle. 

Like you, and others, I care about the long-term future of Derby after what happened, hence why I understood your reservations (Hourihane). But you're contradicting yourself when you say Forest are having a go, but then imply they are gambling their way to oblivion. There are different ways of approaching the PL (Brentford), Forest are buying into the notion that you simply have to chuck money at it. 

We have an owner who just posted that he doesn't want fans to get in debt over their season tickets. 'That it is not worth getting in debt over'. I've rarely heard anyone in a (club) boardroom capacity talk in such a responsible manner. 

Edited by Asanovic70

1 hour ago, Rammy03 said:

This made me chuckle

To be honest, everyone who seems to ring that station gets their knickers in a twist .  It's basically like they push them into a position for for them to make an out of reason remark, possibly a bit of nerves and seize on it to start ripping the piss.  Sutton is the worst , followed by Sinclair.  That fella in the white shirt at the ends loving it.  Condescending s*** stirring face even his own mother probably hates. 

50 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

They all went up with far better sides with more difficult opposition.

Forest got promoted from arguably the worst Championship in a decade and they did so riding momentum and with the help of a bunch of loan players.

Whereas Brentford built for a good few years, Villa had genuinely decent players like Grealish and McGinn while Leeds also had decent players plus Bielsa.

I’ve mentioned a couple of times that Fulham are a better side. Bournemouth probably believe they are too.

If Forest stay up, then who goes down? They’re miles behind the likes of Villa, Wolves and Leicester.

Southampton and Palace comfortably have better sides, almost player for player.

Forest’s best hope is to finish above the other two promoted clubs plus one of Brentford and Leeds. But all of those clubs have spent at least one of the past three years as a PL club.

In terms of squad quality, squad depth, PL resources and PL experience, Forest are behind every other club.

I don’t think they have a unique style like Sheffield United who could surprise either. 

But feel free to post this back to me in May if I’m horribly wrong.

Putting on tin hat, It feels like us in 2007 - ‘won’ promotion with an average side,  spent more money on more average players.

If roles had been reversed and we were doing what Forest are doing now, they would also be extracting the urine out of us.

13 minutes ago, scout's dad said:

Putting on tin hat, It feels like us in 2007 - ‘won’ promotion with an average side,  spent more money on more average players.

If roles had been reversed and we were doing what Forest are doing now, they would also be extracting the urine out of us.

Our players were s***, including those we brought in the previous January bar Jones, Mears and to some extent Pearson.   They've spent a s*** ton on average . We spent an average amount on s***. 

Apparently losing to a team from the top half of the Bundesliga when you're still bedding in new signings is meaningless whilst losing to a team two divisions above you when you're still bedding in even more new signings is very serious.

And they wonder why I think they're brainless twaaats ? 

Edited by Crewton

The gumps have a huge advantage over everyone else. It doesn't matter what they spend, if they come back down they can shift cash/debt between the owners clubs. It might be regulated over here but he is untouchable in Greece.

People talk about the Watford-Udinese set up but in Italy, Udinese are small fry. Olympiakos basically run football in Greece. they have unlimited power due to the owners stranglehold on the jurisdiction of their league.

2 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

The gumps have a huge advantage over everyone else. It doesn't matter what they spend, if they come back down they can shift cash/debt between the owners clubs. It might be regulated over here but he is untouchable in Greece.

People talk about the Watford-Udinese set up but in Italy, Udinese are small fry. Olympiakos basically run football in Greece. they have unlimited power due to the owners stranglehold on the jurisdiction of their league.

It’s been nice knowing you Utch, actually erm it’s nowt to do with me governor….