Derby Documentaries/Films?

BatRam

Please forgive me as i know ill prob get ripped to bits but have Derby got any Documentaries or anything i can brush up on my Rams knowledge?

I wasnt alive when Clough/Derby were winning things, all iv ever known is the championship ? I had some time away from football when we went up to the prem to embarrass ourselves so i need to educate myself ?

To say how old and rich in history our club is , there isnt a deal to sink ya teeth into apart from a few books.

3 minutes ago, TomSaint said:

Please forgive me as i know ill prob get ripped to bits but have Derby got any Documentaries or anything i can brush up on my Rams knowledge?

I wasnt alive when Clough/Derby were winning things, all iv ever known is the championship ? I had some time away from football when we went up to the prem to embarrass ourselves so i need to educate myself ?

To say how old and rich in history our club is , there isnt a deal to sink ya teeth into apart from a few books.

Go and find the film...The Damned United...story of Brian Clough and Peter Taylor, Informative just, Lots of truth mixed in with a little fantasy.

Plenty of books around on DCFC history...Below is a good start.

https://www.historic-newspapers.co.uk/gifts/sports-books/personalised-football-books/derby-football-book/?msclkid=6783b52a6dec1855e060d775d3ebc70b&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Books - FC&utm_term=%2Bderby %2Bcounty %2Bhistory %2Bbooks&utm_content=Derby - Hist - Broad

1 minute ago, Unlucky Alf said:

Go and find the film...The Damned United...story of Brian Clough and Peter Taylor, Informative just, Lots of truth mixed in with a little fantasy.

Plenty of books around on DCFC history...Below is a good start.

https://www.historic-newspapers.co.uk/gifts/sports-books/personalised-football-books/derby-football-book/?msclkid=6783b52a6dec1855e060d775d3ebc70b&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Books - FC&utm_term=%2Bderby %2Bcounty %2Bhistory %2Bbooks&utm_content=Derby - Hist - Broad

Good film , iv seen that but thats about it , iv got Brian Cloughs book aswell which im yet to read.

4 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

Correction:

Don't be misled by the film...The Damned United... Fictional story of Brian Clough and Peter Taylor, Lots of fantasy mixed in with a very little amount of truth.

I was thinking the other day we used to have a brilliant double cassette called the Derby County story or something. May have been for centenary but it was great and just what OP needs! Does anyone know if you can still get it anywhere? Would buy again if Radio Derby still had audio and could reissue

There are/were videos on YouTube/RamsTV entitled something like:

"Derby County Season 19xx-19xx".

They probably covered the 80s when more matches were on TV.

There was a VHS called "match of the seventies: Derby county" that covered a significant period in the club's history.

Otherwise @LeedsCityRam provides YouTube links in his excellent anniversary thread.

In addition to Clough and Taylor's autobiography, I'd recommend that by Roy McFarland.

12 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Correction:

Don't be misled by the film...The Damned United... Fictional story of Brian Clough and Peter Taylor, Lots of fantasy mixed in with a very little amount of truth.

OK you've got me there Island...Brian Clough and Peter Taylor were played by actors.

7 minutes ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

There was a BBC documentary in 1984 highlighting our decline from champions to division 3. Think it was narrated by Tony Francis. Ends with all the coaches leaving for Bournemouth on the first day of the season in Division 3 and showing what great support we had. That would be worth a watch if you could find it. 

Tony Francis' book with Anton Ward "and There Was Some Football Too" is an excellent history of the first 100 years and even includes a tantalising Foreword by Kevin Keegan suggesting that "wherever Arthur Cox goes, I'll be there." It was bollo, of course, but it gave us a buzz at the time. 

1 hour ago, TomSaint said:

Try this on this forum:

2 hours ago, TomSaint said:

Why would you get ripped to bits? I think it's admirable that you want to have more knowledge about our wonderful club and its most interesting history. 

Anton Rippon produced a series on Radio Derby of the glory days, lots of interviews, a must-have for many Rams fans. I'm pretty sure they are holding a 50th anniversary of this gathering soon, old players, Anton and staff invited, they may re-run the series because of this? Derby County: A Complete Record is still available on Amazon, every result, pen pictures, potted history etc for a fiver.

1 hour ago, CBRammette said:

I was thinking the other day we used to have a brilliant double cassette called the Derby County story or something. May have been for centenary but it was great and just what OP needs! Does anyone know if you can still get it anywhere? Would buy again if Radio Derby still had audio and could reissue

Correct CBR. The two cassette tapes (four sides) titled "The Derby County Story" was a limited edition recorded in March 1985 by Speech-Plus Recordings Ltd and published by BBC Radio Derby. Written by Anton Rippon, compiled & produced by Ashley Franklin and narrated by Mike Ingham, all very knowledgeable re DCFC , and with memorable contributions from many of the star players.

For many of us "Alberts"(!), there is a remarkable quote on the cassette cover by Sir Brian himself - "The Derby County supporters don't need any message from me. They know they are as loyal, if not more loyal, than anybody in the country. Its unfortunate that the Club has slipped into the Third Division, but the attendances at the moment are a bouquet for themselves ".

Still as true now as it was then.