Public Apology Required

Abu Derby

1 minute ago, davenportram said:

I don’t my blame Mel

disagree with his actions but don’t blame him.

he did what we all wanted, chased the premier league dream in the way he knew how, and we wanted. Pump in cash, throw money at it. 

what we didn’t want, or de enough of to keep him in check was

1) try to circumvent FFP

2) set us on a cliff edge where failure meant oblivion

it’s not our fault, we trusted a man who claimed to be on of our own, a supporter thick and thin. We trusted his business acumen - this is where as a group we fans ducked up. This is why

1) he made most of his money getting lucky and selling a company who created an app - nothing to do with his business know how

2) tolerated him entering the changing room to berate the team - Rooney mentioned this in passing in a recent interview and it’s cropped up in the past (Pearson I think leaving as manager)

3) his overt attempts to circumvent FFP

had Mel not been a “Fan” we would not have stood for these (and I think others will have more examples. We ignored red flags

no opology will be forthcoming - narcissists don’t say sorry 

One of the few more balanced posts.

We're all angry with Mel now but, with only a few exceptions, not many were complaining when he was splashing the cash. Some would say "backing his manager in the transfer market".

I think where the latter argument falls down is that we - as supporters - do not see the detailed finances. Mel would have done so he knew the gamble he was taking.

It was a gamble and it didn't pay off.

If we'd got to the Premier League, like QPR, Wolves, Villa and others, it's unlikely any of this would've come to light.

The issue is that the gamble failed and has put the whole club in jeopardy (CK has not yet completed the purchase). That's a risk you should not take, that Mel should not have taken.

That's why it won't be forgotten or forgiven.

But I have to say those governing the game, the EFL and the FA, need to take a huge proportion of the blame. The infrastructure, the rules, the system should be in place to prevent the risk to community entities i.e. football clubs.

Stability, sustainable operation, fair competition are all needed if football - as a sport - is to survive.

8 hours ago, kevinhectoring said:

He’s made big mistakes and we have paid for them. But we should try not to blame him for our away form this season 

Who is blaming him for our away form?

There are two key factors that caused us to be relegated. The points deduction and our away form. We would have survived without the -21 and might well have if our away form had been better but, we couldn’t overcome both.

Mel wasn’t responsible for our appalling away form (although, maybe you could argue that the sanctions applied as a result of his failings contributed) but the dire financial position we found ourselves in was due to him (with a little help from Covid).

I won’t deny that I was once a Mel supporter and of course didn’t complain when he was throwing money at chasing the dream. But, why would I have? I never had sight of the true financial position and we were assured all was well in terms of FFP.

2 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Mel wasn’t responsible for our appalling away form (although, maybe you could argue that the sanctions applied as a result of his failings contributed) but the dire financial position we found ourselves in was due to him (with a little help from Covid).

In fairness, (and I'm not one for wishing the worst on Mel), it's impossible not to link the struggles away from home with a threadbare squad with loads of kids in it and ultimately that goes back to the club's mismanagement. Had Mel and Pearce not so royally cocked up then we would have had a squad more capable of meeting those challenges.

My overall view is that Mel is akin to this guy 

589C17EE-3840-489F-B359-BF0E92DEB647.thumb.jpeg.bce76fbbda277db230f62728ebec787c.jpeg

He came to DCFC, speaking of riches he had earned elsewhere. And he proved it, he had us all dancing to his tune, believing he could fund the team to the promised land. 

So we let him invest in us without looking too closely, he said all the right things and challenged the EFL and we all loved it.  He spent the clubs money, with some of his own of course, and The Derby Way was created. 

but then, too late, we saw the truth, the cracks on the rail. The money-pit he had turned us into with ridiculous dealings. He tried to save face, but unlike Lyle Lanley, Mel hasn’t just skipped town, he still wants his dirty fingers in our pie and some leverage of control over the nonsense he created.

maybe he never wanted the club, maybe he wanted to just own the stadium and nearly destroying DCFC was a calculated expense in doing so.

Maybe Mel had no choice to put DCFC into admin because he is unable to fund the club anymore. He won't say anything about this or his finances maybe ever but certainly for now because it would put him in a weak position on stadium sale if people know he has no money. He's made a lot of bad/strange decisions and the crazy wages on mediocre players went on too long. He isn't a crook like the amigos. He just made really poor business and football decisions. COVID and EFL have played a big part of this as well. We almost got to the Prem and the story could be so different. Fine margins, sliding doors etc.