Finance thread 2022.

Rev

3 hours ago, GboroRam said:

OK. I've deleted a bunch of off topic posts.

The thread was set up for people to offer practical ways to save money. Tips welcome.

I'll offer - once we get to Christmas, look for reduced cream after Christmas Day. You can churn it into butter and freeze it.

I picked up about 30 tubs of cream for about 10p a tub, and made around 30 blocks of butter for £3. 

How much would 30 blocks of Lurpak cost you today?

Brilliant. 

If you can do the same trick with base metal and turn it into gold, you'll be an Alchemist my son. 

I’ve managed to halve my sky bill today. It was definitely worth the phone call, the money I’ve managed to save will pay for the additional gas and electric fingers crossed. The cancellation fees was scary expensive so I thought removing most of my package was the best way forward. Usually I don’t bother trying to haggle but Sky will definitely try anything to keep you as a customer. 

Renewed my home and contents insurance, which sticking with the same provider would have cost an extra £20. Used a comparison site for quotes, went with well established provider. Maxed out on the excess, otherwise the same policy cover. Saved £4, which I will consume down the pub tomorrow night, as a free drink for the trouble.

Small wins.

There seems to be a theme emerging 

GERMANY - Inflation hits 10%, up from 7.9% in August.

It hasn’t looked like this since WW1. Global policies of lockdown, lockout and Net Zero are destroying economies and lives. As predicted by all those who were ignored, vilified and censored ( including on here)

22 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

It hasn’t looked like this since WW1. Global policies of lockdown, lockout and Net Zero are destroying economies and lives. As predicted by all those who were ignored, vilified and censored ( including on here)

Careful, if you're suggesting its not the Conservatives fault your post will probably be deleted!

16 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

After lockdown/pandemic there was a (dhort) period of growth where people went out and spent money saved as they couldn't do naff all. The real reason for the turmoil is the war. Not just any war, some places have been fighting for years with little geopolitical impact. This one though affects a major oil and gas producer attacking a major agricultural producer. That is the reason for inflation.

Oh and add a little bit of greed/speculation too and there you have it double digit inflation.

Just like that.

28 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

After lockdown/pandemic there was a (dhort) period of growth where people went out and spent money saved as they couldn't do naff all. The real reason for the turmoil is the war. Not just any war, some places have been fighting for years with little geopolitical impact. This one though affects a major oil and gas producer attacking a major agricultural producer. That is the reason for inflation.

Oh and add a little bit of greed/speculation too and there you have it double digit inflation.

Just like that.

Good theory, however I think you’ll find the cost of living was increasing long before February. 

1 hour ago, TexasRam said:

Unlucky that a sterling, gilt and bond crisis occurred immediately after the government's "fiscal event", isn't it? 

Still, once that fracked gas starts flowing, we'll be laughing.... 

32 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Unlucky that a sterling, gilt and bond crisis occurred immediately after the government's "fiscal event", isn't it? 

Still, once that fracked gas starts flowing, we'll be laughing.... 

yeah your right inflation wasn’t going up before this week. I see the pound bounced back ok yesterday but shhhhh don’t mention it, it’ll go against the narrative. 

Yeah you’re right on fracked gas, we agree. I’d actually want to rely on green energy but looking out of the window I think we’re shafted today for solar and wind. 

21 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

yeah your right inflation wasn’t going up before this week. I see the pound bounced back ok yesterday but shhhhh don’t mention it, it’ll go against the narrative. 

Yeah you’re right on fracked gas, we agree. I’d actually want to rely on green energy but looking out of the window I think we’re shafted today for solar and wind. 

I'm afraid you've got your head in the tar-sand on UK fracking still. The government are already backtracking, because they know that their voters don't want it in their areas. You can't move the stuff around, you have to extract it where it's located, which is not such a problem with green energy or nuclear. 

42 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Did you learn your incorrect facts about how solar panels work from Greg Abbott while you were in Texas?

Solar panels don't have to have bright sunshine to work, they also work on a winter's day.

Do you also believe that wind turbines are killing thousands of birds?

Edited by 1of4

5 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Did you learn your incorrect facts about how solar panels work from Greg Abbott while you were in Texas?

Solar panels don't have to have bright sunshine to work, they also work on a winter's day.

Do you also believe that wind turbines are killing thousands of birds?

Must of learnt loads of incorrect facts, unlike yourself Yoda. 
So if you’re solar and wind energy is so efficient and supplying the UK with energy, why have our bills increased so much? Has the cost of wind and sunshine increased? ……or is It because they actually don’t provide that much ? 

26 minutes ago, Crewton said:

I'm afraid you've got your head in the tar-sand on UK fracking still. The government are already backtracking, because they know that their voters don't want it in their areas. You can't move the stuff around, you have to extract it where it's located, which is not such a problem with green energy or nuclear. 

Nuclear I’m 100% behind will take years though unfortunately. Green energy I can get behind not problem however as a consumer we are yet to benefit from it despite all the capital invested into it. 

4 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Must of learnt loads of incorrect facts, unlike yourself Yoda. 
So if you’re solar and wind energy is so efficient and supplying the UK with energy, why have our bills increased so much? Has the cost of wind and sunshine increased? ……or is It because they actually don’t provide that much ? 

It's been shown during this crisis, the power companies will make a hugh amount of extra profits.

Like any private company they will sell their products for the biggest price they can. As someone stated recently their not a charity. 

Maybe the inflated profits these companies will be making from wind and solar. Is a good reason for calling for our utility companies to be re-nationalized.