Finance thread 2022.

Rev

On 20/09/2022 at 17:45, 1of4 said:

Apparently Churchill told our late Queen, the farther you go back in time, the farther forward we will see.

So how far back would we need to go, to enable us to see into the near future and identify who is actually responsible for this coming financial crisis we are facing?

@G STAR RAM went back to Blair's nineties and @Eddie went back to Thatcher's eighties.

Maybe the seventies of Heath and Callaghan or even the Victorian era of Disraeli and Gladstone, could hold the answer.

Me, I'm just going to the Cameron,May,Johnson and Truss era, to identify those responsible for the poo show that is facing the people of our country.

2 hours ago, TexasRam said:

1.25% NI rise that was implemented in April to be reversed in November.  Putting some cash back in the pocket of workers. 

Hmmm. Which was money intended to fund the NHS and Social Care, so I guess the NHS we know and love really is done for

Plus the BBC says somebody earning £20,000 will save about £93 a year, and somebody earning £100,000 will save £1,093, compared to now

So fantastic news if you're already on a decent salary, barely noticeable if you're on minimum wage

Along with the stamp duty cuts, the corporation tax cuts, the dividend tax cuts - it's clear who this budget is really benefitting. It ain't people who are struggling to afford the basics

5 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

Hmmm. Which was money intended to fund the NHS and Social Care, so I guess the NHS we know and love really is done for

Plus the BBC says somebody earning £20,000 will save about £93 a year, and somebody earning £100,000 will save £1,093, compared to now

So fantastic news if you're already on a decent salary, barely noticeable if you're on minimum wage

Along with the stamp duty cuts, the corporation tax cuts, the dividend tax cuts - it's clear who this budget is really benefitting. It ain't people who are struggling to afford the basics

ahhh the old NHS narrative , £136B for 21/22 not enough? How much more do you think it’s needs? 

Work harder and earn more then this will put more cash in your pocket. 

What do you propose more handouts? 

6 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

ahhh the old NHS narrative , £136B for 21/22 not enough? How much more do you think it’s needs? 

The old NHS narrative? Sorry you've lost me there. I don't know how much more it needs, but obviously the Tories thought it needs more as they increased NI to do just that. And my direct experience of spending the past 9 months under their cancer pathway and having half of my colon removed has shown me exactly quite how run into the ground it is. I hope you don't need it to save your life any time soon

9 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Work harder and earn more then this will put more cash in your pocket.

To pay for the increase in your mortgage, energy bills, weekly food shop, petrol etc etc

I don't want handouts - I want them to fix the broken economic system that is destroying our society

1 minute ago, Stive Pesley said:

The old NHS narrative? Sorry you've lost me there. I don't know how much more it needs, but obviously the Tories thought it needs more as they increased NI to do just that. And my direct experience of spending the past 9 months under their cancer pathway and having half of my colon removed has shown me exactly quite how run into the ground it is. I hope you don't need it to save your life any time soon

To pay for the increase in your mortgage, energy bills, weekly food shop, petrol etc etc

I don't want handouts - I want them to fix the broken economic system that is destroying our society

The 1st bit what can I say, other than I hope you’re ok and doing well. Personally I don’t think we should put any more cash than we do into the NHS, we should rather use the money more wisely, cut down and the bureaucratic tick boxing waste pit it’s becoming. 

The 2nd bit, yep during hard times this government is now putting money back into the working persons pocket and good for them. Also maybe, just maybe at times like these the answer is to work a little harder and try and earn a bit more instead of whining and whinging it’s not fair.

3 hours ago, TexasRam said:

The 1st bit what can I say, other than I hope you’re ok and doing well. Personally I don’t think we should put any more cash than we do into the NHS, we should rather use the money more wisely, cut down and the bureaucratic tick boxing waste pit it’s becoming. 

The 2nd bit, yep during hard times this government is now putting money back into the working persons pocket and good for them. Also maybe, just maybe at times like these the answer is to work a little harder and try and earn a bit more instead of whining and whinging it’s not fair.

A big chunk of the NHS money now gets swallowed up by the private sector, mainly to huge American corporations.

As for earning a bit more, I agree, we should get behind Unions that are prepared to fight for better working conditions.

4 hours ago, TexasRam said:

Yes lets all work harder during these difficult times. Care to tell me how nurses, care workers and refuge workers can work harder? If you can, they may be able to earn enough to get them into that exclusive top 5% that will receive 75% of the money the government are giving back in tax cuts.

39 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Yes lets all work harder during these difficult times. Care to tell me how nurses, care workers and refuge workers can work harder? If you can, they may be able to earn enough to get them into that exclusive top 5% that will receive 75% of the money the government are giving back in tax cuts.

Why don't the lazy nurses and care workers drive Ubers when they have finished their shifts? NO MORE HANDOUTS! Just work harder!

39 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Why don't the lazy nurses and care workers drive Ubers when they have finished their shifts? NO MORE HANDOUTS! Just work harder!

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/derby-news/failed-music-festival-loses-derby-5641768.amp

Don’t work harder work smarter would help Derby hospital lost 360k on this 

NHS spend 8 million on diversity staff as well get rid of them all money saved could be spent on healthcare 

Edited by cstand

15 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

I'm not sure if hospitals organising failed music festivals is a general issue!

They wasted hard earned tax payers money on a hair brain scheme that should have been spent on treating patients. 

This is just one hospital trust how many more are gambling with tax payers money?

Also I pay into that hospital trust with my monthly lottery contribution over the last four years which is taken out of my current account by direct debit.

I now no longer trust them to spend that money wisely. 

Edited by cstand

1 minute ago, cstand said:

They wasted hard earned tax payers money on a hair brain scheme that should have been spent on treating patients. 

This is just one hospital trust how many more are gambling with tax payers money?

Also I pay into that hospital trust with my monthly lottery contribution over the last four years which is taken out of my current account by direct debit.

I now no longer trust them to spend that money wisely. 

Shouldn't we applaud the profit hunting efforts of this hosptial? Ok, this didn't work, but running an A&E ward don't bring in much revenue.

What they should have done is charged patients for non-urgent and rountine operations. Then rich people could pay to jump the queue. They work harder, so deserve better treatment.

7 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Stop hand outs to those who won’t work, give the nurses a pay rise of the benefits we stop. Make people pay for the NHS who at the age of 30 haven’t contribute anything into it, give the money to the nurses as a pay rise. Stop hiring the box ticking diversity roles and waste of time middle management roles and increase the front line staff wages.

7 hours ago, 1of4 said:

As above however I am sure you’ll be against such ideas. And yes work harder, if I need to, to support my family I’d do 2 jobs, 3 jobs, work 16hrs a day whatever it takes. I guess some of us are just different 

On 14/04/2022 at 20:56, Rev said:

I thought a finance thread would be a welcome addition, in this time of increased pressure on household finances.

Anyone got any useful tips, spotted a good money saving deal, or need any advice on financial issues?

Pop them on here, and let's see if we as a forum can assist.

A quick reminder of this threads intention.

10 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

A big chunk of the NHS money now gets swallowed up by the private sector, mainly to huge American corporations.

As for earning a bit more, I agree, we should get behind Unions that are prepared to fight for better working conditions.

Are you talking about pay (as your sentence starts) or working conditions (as it ends)? They are not the same thing.

Part of the problems is that we (the general public) often don’t know what the pay and working conditions of others are really like. We only hear the polarised views of the unions on one side and the employers on the other. For example,  it would appear train drivers (especially on the underground) already earn a very good wage and I’m sure I’ve read somewhere that in one industry, the complaint is that staff were being forced to work at weekends. Such a simplistic summaries of the complaints are unlikely to gain much support from those earning less than train drivers or those that already have to work at a weekend but I’m damn sure it’s not that simple and there must be more to the disputes than that.

Several weeks ago, I asked a colleague of yours working for Royal Mail a genuine question (as I really was interested) what the working conditions issue was and got no reply.