World Cup Qatar

Bris Vegas

It’s been a weird game though. Argentina did nothing for the first 25 minutes. Croatia dominated the ball and territory without any shots.

Just two little moments and it’s 2-0. Penalty and second goal came out of nowhere.

If you are a Croatia fan you are wondering how you are losing this.

1 minute ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Never a pen in a million years. If you are going past a player or keeper you go one side or the other not through them. It's not a foul too stand your ground in football. Never has been.

Obstruction has always been a foul. You see fouls (wrongly IMO) given against defenders who just stand there and get barged into by the attacker.

2 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Obstruction is when you move into the path of the player to prevent his progress. That wasn't the case here.

Is that the official line? I’ve seen fouls given all the time when the defender just stands there and gets bulldozed by an attacker.

2 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Is that the official line? I’ve seen fouls given all the time when the defender just stands there and gets bulldozed by an attacker.

Should be surely, but refs fall for it all the time when strikers just run into defenders who are standing their ground.

Probably a case of them never playing the game.

Edited by JoetheRam

40 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Watching the Argentina Croatia semifinal. As soon as the penalty was given I said that's not a foul. The keeper plants his feet, and draws the foul basketball style as the forward jumps into him. To my surprise Gary Neville and Roy Keane were in 100% agreement with me at HT. But the studio referee expert couldn't see it and said it's a penalty. The ref pundit kept saying "the goalkeeper's forward motion towards the striker" but manifestly there was none. Referees are idiots.

The incident was remarkably similar to when Frank Fielding was sent off at the start of the 10-man game. For me, a foul on the keeper who made no motion towards the striker and couldn't get out of the way.

I said exactly the same re Fielding. The player is shooting not dribbling and the keeper is spreading himself to save the shot. The forward runs into his attempted save, 

49 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Watching the Argentina Croatia semifinal. As soon as the penalty was given I said that's not a foul. The keeper plants his feet, and draws the foul basketball style as the forward jumps into him. To my surprise Gary Neville and Roy Keane were in 100% agreement with me at HT. But the studio referee expert couldn't see it and said it's a penalty. The ref pundit kept saying "the goalkeeper's forward motion towards the striker" but manifestly there was none. Referees are idiots.

The incident was remarkably similar to when Frank Fielding was sent off at the start of the 10-man game. For me, a foul on the keeper who made no motion towards the striker and couldn't get out of the way.

I said that straight away, the difference was Fielding was sent off.

1 minute ago, Bris Vegas said:

I still don’t rate this Argentina side. But they have a habit of winning and their style is getting the best out of their creative player(s).

Only time they have looked like conceding is when facing an aerial bombardment or via wonder goals.

They were lucky the Dutch ceased their aerial bombardment as soon as they equalized. It was very strange.

Lack of a decent striker to link the play killed Croatia. 

Love Kovacic as a player. Don't know why he's not a regular starter for Chelsea. 

5 finals for Argentina since 78. Impressive. 

Work hard, bit of skill, plenty of niggle, an awareness of how to kill a game and an incredible affinity with their own fans. ?

7 minutes ago, Highgate said:

I do feel for the Croatian keeper, as the ball is nudged pass him he has no chance to get out of the way. But referees always seem to give those incidents as penalties. 

Messi assist for Alvarez's second was absolutely sublime. 

Referees always give penalties except to England.

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

Obstruction has always been a foul. You see fouls (wrongly IMO) given against defenders who just stand there and get barged into by the attacker.

Obstruction has always led to an indirect free kick though… even inside the area, so it seems the ref didn’t even consider that option?