The Ukraine War

Day

On 13/10/2023 at 10:11, Stive Pesley said:

Seems to have gone a little quiet

Any other wars going on that involve oppressive empires occupying neighbours territory illegally?

Indeed.

That said it’s a mixture of a “fairly quiet” period on the news front in Ukraine and not visiting here outside of matchday with all the repetitive posts. 

One thing to watch is the developing offensive launched on several fronts by Russia, particularly Avdiivka.

Russia are taking huge losses there, we’re talking opening days of the failed Kyiv campaign level losses, not just soldiers, but tanks, bpz’s and artillery.

Russia is reported to be launching full frontal assaults. Ukraine have repelled them without losing much ground so far.

The Ukrainian counter offensive in the Robotyne area has slowed after a troop rotation.

6 hours ago, Ramarena said:

First reported usage of the newly delivered ATACMS. 

Ukraine hits Berdyansk and Luhansk airfields destroying or damaging up to 10 helicopters and their crews.

Seems the US transferred them on the quiet so Russia didn’t have time to prepare.

I don't think that Russia has any DFNDMS.

/Attack 'ems v Defend 'ems

//Sorry - puerile, I know.

Edited by Eddie

18 hours ago, i-Ram said:

Is this war still going?

Absolutely.

It’s actually one of the deadliest phases of the war since the first few weeks and Russia’s Bakhmut assault last year. Most of the carnage is centered around Russia’s assault on Avdiivka. Russia is taking huge losses, whilst making some limited progress towards the town. Ukraine are also taking higher casualties whilst defending that front.

Obviously this war isn’t as popular with the western media now, in the wake of the Gaza crisis and the lack of any large gains for either side, unlike Ukraines successes last year.

Edited by Ramarena

25 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

Absolutely.

It’s actually one of the deadliest phases of the war since the first few weeks and Russia’s Bakhmut assault last year. Most of the carnage is centered around Russia’s assault on Avdiivka. Russia is taking huge losses, whilst making some limited progress towards the town. Ukraine are also taking higher casualties whilst defending that front.

Obviously this war isn’t as popular with the western media now, in the wake of the Gaza crisis and the lack of any large gains for either side, unlike Ukraines successes last year.

Would it be cynical for me to suggest that it was front and centre stage because a failing PM needed to conjure up some Churchillian spirit to bolster some home support, so talking up the Ukraine angle and our refugee response was a means to an end? Now said Churchill disciple has gone, the issue has disappeared. 

24 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

Would it be cynical for me to suggest that it was front and centre stage because a failing PM needed to conjure up some Churchillian spirit to bolster some home support, so talking up the Ukraine angle and our refugee response was a means to an end? Now said Churchill disciple has gone, the issue has disappeared. 

Oh they absolutely utilised it for PR!

However it was/is heavily covered in other countries as well, as it’s the biggest war in the region since WW2.

It would still be front and centre stage no matter who was in power!

1 hour ago, Ramarena said:

Oh they absolutely utilised it for PR!

However it was/is heavily covered in other countries as well, as it’s the biggest war in the region since WW2.

It would still be front and centre stage no matter who was in power!

I'd argue it's not front and centre right now. Palestine is more visible at the moment. 

15 hours ago, GboroRam said:

Not sure a mod should be introducing yet more politics to the board when it's clearly against the rules - hey ho, one rule for us etc.....

Taken from Sky news.

I thought this only happened during WW1...If true.

Russia executing soldiers who fail to follow orders, US says

More on the US claim that Russia is executing soldiers and threatening entire units who fail to follow orders in Ukraine.

US National Security Council spokesman John Kirby has described the development as a "reprehensible" reflection of Russian morale problems 20 months into its invasion of Ukraine. 

"It's reprehensible to think about, that you would execute your own soldiers because they didn't want to follow orders, and now threatening to execute entire units, it's barbaric," Mr Kirby told reporters. 

"But I think it's a symptom of how poorly Russia's military leaders know they're doing and how bad they have handled this from a military perspective."

Mr Kirby did not give any details on how many Russian troops have been executed or any specific examples of units threatened.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Alpha said:

@Ramarena

Credible? 

Could we see peace talks at the end of Biden's time?

Despite his high profile military and government background MacGregor seems to be completely unreliable source for any information regarding Ukraine.  His previous predictions have been proven wrong repeatedly, yet he continues undeterred.  

He had 48 appearances on the Tucker Carlson show (according to Wiki) and he has appeared on RT (the Russian propaganda TV station, which did produce some reasonable reporting alongside other material that was clearly state sponsored messaging). All his opinions would appear to the that of some one in the pay of the Russian state.  I don't know that he is, but if they are paying him he certainly seems to be doing his best to give them value for money.

In my opinion, anything he says on the subject of Ukraine can be disregarded. 

Edited by Highgate

Whatever is going on in Ukraine, one thing to note is that young men and women who came over at the start of the war are in no rush to go back. There are over 30 men aged from 22-40 from Ukraine working in our factory. All now have found rented accommodation and settled in well but have no intention of going home unless the war is well and truly over. Many of them had decent jobs before the war and managed to get out quickly. 

A couple are playing in local league football, some work every hour they can and send money back to family, some are trying to find out if they will be allowed to stay permanently, but none want to go back right now.

I get the impression they would not be to popular amongst those who stayed or had to stay.

28 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Whatever is going on in Ukraine, one thing to note is that young men and women who came over at the start of the war are in no rush to go back. There are over 30 men aged from 22-40 from Ukraine working in our factory. All now have found rented accommodation and settled in well but have no intention of going home unless the war is well and truly over. Many of them had decent jobs before the war and managed to get out quickly. 

A couple are playing in local league football, some work every hour they can and send money back to family, some are trying to find out if they will be allowed to stay permanently, but none want to go back right now.

I get the impression they would not be to popular amongst those who stayed or had to stay.

I wonder if these are some of those who bribed their way out. Didn't Zelensky sack every recruitment officer or something? One had managed to get himself a nice villa in Portugal I think. 5m in his bank account. Tens of thousands fled illegally through the corrupt system. "Treason" was the word Zelensky used.

Not that I blame them, like. I just wonder what the future holds for them. Might be best off catching the night bus into Hanley to gain some essential survival skills.