Nathan Byrne

DarkFruitsRam7

1 hour ago, Addingham Ram said:

Sorry to be slightly controversial here, but I just don't get the Nathan Byrne love in.

Was at the game last night, and the whole team looked flat second half, but I thought Byrne, for all his experience and apparent quality was particularly poor.

He constantly flatters to deceive. How many times does he take a man on? How many times does he whip a decent cross in? How many actual tackles does he make or crosses does he stop?

I lost count of the number of times he had space to run into last night, but after setting off, ran out of steam / ran out of ideas / got caught by the chasing defender, then cut back and played the ball back.

If that was one of the youngsters I would have some sympathy, but Byrne is supposed to be one of the established pro's at the club.

I know we are all down after last night, but I think we seriously need better full backs next year, whatever division we are in. I for one wouldn't be sorry to see him go.

Based on games started at full back this season...

Dribbles - Unsurprisingly, Festy is the runaway winner, but Byrne still goes on more dribbles than Buchanan and Forsyth
Crosses - Crosses more regularly than any other full back, with only Forsyth finding a man more often
Tackles - More than Forsyth and about the same as Buchanan.
Crosses blocked - Yeah, he's very poor at this. Only 2 all season. Buchanan by far the best, followed by Forsyth, then Festy

Bonus round
Interceptions - Double Forsyth, about the same as Buchanan
Dribbled past - about the same as Forsyth and Buchanan
Fouls committed - less than Festy, Forsyth and Buchanan
Fouled - More than Festy, Forsyth and Buchanan

15 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Based on games started at full back this season...

Dribbles - Unsurprisingly, Festy is the runaway winner, but Byrne still goes on more dribbles than Buchanan and Forsyth
Crosses - Crosses more regularly than any other full back, with only Forsyth finding a man more often
Tackles - More than Forsyth and about the same as Buchanan.
Crosses blocked - Yeah, he's very poor at this. Only 2 all season. Buchanan by far the best, followed by Forsyth, then Festy

Bonus round
Interceptions - Double Forsyth, about the same as Buchanan
Dribbled past - about the same as Forsyth and Buchanan
Fouls committed - less than Festy, Forsyth and Buchanan
Fouled - More than Festy, Forsyth and Buchanan

Is this per game percentage or purely based on games played.

Byrne has played many more games than Buchanan and Forsyth who have rotated.

So Dribbles, Tackles, Interceptions, and fouled are unsurprising.

Forsyth has found more precise crosses in less games. Interceptions are about the same having played more than Forsyth.

Different positions I get that but what is your point?

14 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

Is this per game percentage or purely based on games played.

Byrne has played many more games than Buchanan and Forsyth who have rotated.

So Dribbles, Tackles, Interceptions, and fouled are unsurprising.

Forsyth has found more precise crosses in less games. Interceptions are about the same having played more than Forsyth.

Different positions I get that but what is your point?

Sorry, I should have said. It's per 90.

@Addingham Ram was seemingly portraying him as a very poor player.

Edited by Ghost of Clough

2 hours ago, Addingham Ram said:

Sorry to be slightly controversial here, but I just don't get the Nathan Byrne love in.

Was at the game last night, and the whole team looked flat second half, but I thought Byrne, for all his experience and apparent quality was particularly poor.

He constantly flatters to deceive. How many times does he take a man on? How many times does he whip a decent cross in? How many actual tackles does he make or crosses does he stop?

I lost count of the number of times he had space to run into last night, but after setting off, ran out of steam / ran out of ideas / got caught by the chasing defender, then cut back and played the ball back.

If that was one of the youngsters I would have some sympathy, but Byrne is supposed to be one of the established pro's at the club.

I know we are all down after last night, but I think we seriously need better full backs next year, whatever division we are in. I for one wouldn't be sorry to see him go.

Have to disagree. A lot of the team were poor second half. Every time I’ve seen Byrne this season he has been good. Solid and often builds good link up play with others around him. Definitely one of Derby’s better players. 

4 hours ago, Addingham Ram said:

Wouldnt judge Nathan Byrne on last nights performance mate , over the season he has probably been the most consistent performer , a good right back at this level

5 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Sorry, I should have said. It's per 90.

@Addingham Ram was seemingly portraying him as a very poor player.

Addingham Ram was actually wondering what exactly he brought to the team.

He doesn't create much (as you have stated, indred Forsyth finds his man more often), and is poor at stopping crosses (again as you have stated).

Surely in the modern game, these are 2 fundamentals of a full back.

With so many youngsters in the team last night, we need the established pro's to step up. I don't see him stepping that much.

My opinion I know, and I know we have lots of problems all over the pitch, not least scoring goals, but an experienced full back that carries a threat (of goals or assists) as well as one that can defend has got to be one of our priorities for next year.

9 hours ago, Addingham Ram said:

I can’t comment on last nights game but he takes men on, he both stops and makes crosses with consistency. Perhaps he had a bad game on those metrics yesterday but he is a consistent aggressive performer in so many games. He’s a front foot player but knows his defensive duties. 

I get the we all have favourite players and sometimes over promote their attributes but he is class in this league and would be dynamite in league 1

1 hour ago, Addingham Ram said:

Addingham Ram was actually wondering what exactly he brought to the team.

He doesn't create much (as you have stated, indred Forsyth finds his man more often), and is poor at stopping crosses (again as you have stated).

Surely in the modern game, these are 2 fundamentals of a full back.

With so many youngsters in the team last night, we need the established pro's to step up. I don't see him stepping that much.

My opinion I know, and I know we have lots of problems all over the pitch, not least scoring goals, but an experienced full back that carries a threat (of goals or assists) as well as one that can defend has got to be one of our priorities for next year.

Who got the assist for our goal last night?

2 minutes ago, Crewton said:

How much are you thinking of spending?

Money we haven't got and most likely won't be allowed to spend even if we had! 

I think Nathan Byrne is the least of our worries and I actually think he did quite well last night. 

In other games recently he has been one of best players.