Luke Plange - signed for Palace & loaned back

Jram

16 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Left in October according to his LinkedIn. Despite our feelings towards Mel, I think it’s difficult to argue that his stepson did anything other than an excellent job based on our track record of youth recruitment.

BE0AEB43-B4F4-4CBA-93E2-CD183C0A3E35.thumb.jpeg.9a46a74a32c9543702a3f38687085342.jpeg

Has he been replaced?

Don't think anyone would argue that we've seen some decent talent coming into the Academy? Although however we have over in Ireland's done okay too.

22 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

You don't know how much they've paid. Also if Plange scores more goals between now and the end of the season how much would his value have increased? They've come in before there's an 'auction'. They won't lose even if they sold him on in a seasons time. They want us to play him and make him a better player.

I'd rather we'd sold him and signed an experienced striker - but I don't suppose the EFL would allow that.

Around £1m is being widely reported. Whatever it is, it was enough to convince Quantuma and Rooney that it was a deal that worked for the club at this critical time. 

When was this auction due to take place, for a player who is out of contract in the summer? 

Some folk need to remember Rooney's words from a couple of months ago when the EFL restrictions meant we couldn't use him in the first team : "I wouldn't blame his parents if they wanted to take him out of here". Now we've got a million quid and the use of him for the rest of the season.

I'm truly baffled by the detachment from reality of some of the comments about this transfer. 

4 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Left in October according to his LinkedIn. Despite our feelings towards Mel, I think it’s difficult to argue that his stepson did anything other than an excellent job based on our track record of youth recruitment.

BE0AEB43-B4F4-4CBA-93E2-CD183C0A3E35.thumb.jpeg.9a46a74a32c9543702a3f38687085342.jpeg

Left in October, means laid off by Quantuma.  Seems to be reasonably common knowledge that Steve Bould identified and alerted the club regarding Plange. What other elite players recruited in the age group 16-21 have made any great progress in the Derby Team?  Genuine question. I am no expert on the Academy Teams but most of the ones who appear to be flourishing seem to have come through after being at the Academy at a far younger age. Watson and Hutchinson spring to mind as similar Plange like purchases. The only one in his 6 years with the Club that he might be able to claim as a success is Dylan Williams. Happy for anyone to point out obvious other successes.

Sad about this one as he is looking like he can be a very good player in the future

He is a London lad I assume, he was at Arsenal and a former Arsenal player who knows about everything Arsenal is now the manager of Crystal Palace so either he knows all about him or his friends have told him to sign the lad. 
At least Crystal Palace have been decent about paying something for him and letting us consider using him here at Derby county.

1 minute ago, i-Ram said:

Left in October, means laid off by Quantuma.  Seems to be reasonably common knowledge that Steve Bould identified and alerted the club regarding Plange. What other elite players recruited in the age group 16-21 have made any great progress in the Derby Team?  Genuine question. I am no expert on the Academy Teams but most of the ones who appear to be flourishing seem to have come through after being at the Academy at a far younger age. Watson and Hutchinson spring to mind as similar Plange like purchases. The only one in his 6 years with the Club that he might be able to claim as a success is Dylan Williams. Happy for anyone to point out obvious other successes.

Festy and Knight 

1 minute ago, i-Ram said:

Knight was 16, I think. Ebosele. Bogle. Made big money on Bogle after he came from Swindon. 

2 minutes ago, Crewton said:

When was this auction due to take place, for a player who is out of contract in the summer? 

Some folk need to remember Rooney's words from a couple of months ago when the EFL restrictions meant we couldn't use him in the first team : "I wouldn't blame his parents if they wanted to take him out of here". Now we've got a million quid and the use of him for the rest of the season.

I'm truly baffled by the detachment from reality of some of the comments about this transfer. 

I was commenting about the 'largesse' that is being attributed to Palarse.

But of course there would be an 'auction' when he was out of contract - if he's still scoring goals. Do you think only Palarse would have taken interest in a young Championship striker with his pedigree?

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

But of course there would be an 'auction' when he was out of contract - if he's still scoring goals. Do you think only Palarse would have taken interest in a young Championship striker with his pedigree?

The auction wouldn't help Derby. 

Just now, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

The auction wouldn't help Derby. 

No I didn't say it would.

I said (about Palarse's apparent largesse) that perhaps there was another view to take - ie they'd lose out or it might cost them more in an 'auction'.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Players who are out of contract leave on a free.

Any 'auction' at that stage only benefits the player and the agent. 

He hasn't been with our academy long enough for us to get decent compensation down that route either. Just a few months.

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

An auction that might have benefitted the player, but not DCFC. I'm only really concerned about how DCFC get best value and unless we're able to extend his contract, this transaction seems to achieve that. 

3 minutes ago, angieram said:

Players who are out of contract leave on a free.

Any 'auction' at that stage only benefits the player and the agent. 

He hasn't been with our academy long enough for us to get decent compensation down that route either. Just a few months.

Yes.

Again I was commenting on the kudos being heaped on Palarse. They have got themselves a win-win here. 

2 minutes ago, Crewton said:

An auction that might have benefitted the player, but not DCFC. I'm only really concerned about how DCFC get best value and unless we're able to extend his contract, this transaction seems to achieve that. 

Again I didn't say it would help us. 

I'm fed up with Palace being made out to be saviours - they did it for themselves.

I would also like to say what a load of inconsistent nonsense the EFL are - their slogan should be - WE MAKE ITUP AS WE GO ALONG 

we can’t have a loan player all year but now we can? We can’t play the same player for half a season but then we can, we can have a free signing on less than £4,500 per week but then we can’t once they are doing well, you can’t play a player under contract but you have to play the scholarship lads. 

if we were able to to sell players and have them back on loan do the EFL not think we would have done that with several of them ! Particularly players like Lawrence 

2 minutes ago, angieram said:

Knight was 16, I think. Ebosele. Bogle. Made big money on Bogle after he came from Swindon. 

Thanks Angie and @Crewton  for your replies. I had thought Knight might have been younger when he joined us. Bogle was actually 15 according to Wiki - just looked it up, and he was purchased before Mel’s stepson was employed. Thinking about it Knight possibly the same.

15 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Why can’t Watson and Hutchinson count?

In terms of bringing people in at that age and either contributing to the first team or selling on for a fee (or both):

- Knight (though we’ve always had a strong presence in Ireland)

- Ebosele (see above)

- Williams (would have been worth far more had it not been for our situation)

- Luke Thomas (couple of million)

- Bogle (big fee)

There’s a few more you can probably throw in there too. Jordan Brown, plus Watson and Hutchinson as mentioned above. 

I’m all for Mel bashing, but our 16-21 recruitment has been one of our biggest plus points in recent years. I think it would be churlish to argue his stepson hasn’t played some part in that.

Edit: Just seen you said Bogle signed before Croft joined. Scratch that one.

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Yes.

Again I was commenting on the kudos being heaped on Palarse. They have got themselves a win-win here. 

I'm not sure why you're so reluctant to give Palace any credit for this. I don't see any other clubs lining up to help us out with cash up front. 

There are no guarantees that Plange will be able to make it as a Premier League player. There is no guarantee that CP wouldn't have been able to save themselves a million quid if they'd waited until the end of the season.

Whereas we WILL go out of business in just a few weeks if we can't scrape together enough money to get to the end of the season.

I think it's a genuine nice thing for Crystal Palace to do and I hope it does work out for them and Plange goes on to have a great career at the highest level.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Again I didn't say it would help us. 

I'm fed up with Palace being made out to be saviours - they did it for themselves.

I think you're overstating the reaction - compare Parrish's comments to those of the Wigan chairman after they signed Shinnie and it's not difficult to see why fans are thanking him. It's just gratitude in finding another club being respectful towards us, even if they know they could still be getting a bargain.